Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

On 7/19/2017 at 6:31 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

Valeri Nichushkin will return to the Dallas Stars in the 18-19 season after he fulfills his KHL contract.  Should be a welcome re-addition.

Nichushkin to return in 2018-2019

I feel like I'm relatively in touch with the NHL and for some reason I completely missed this issue. I wonder why he bolted to begin with?

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely jealous of Carolina's blueline.  Up there with the league's best.  Great deals for Slavin and Pesce.

Mikael Granlund agreed to a 3 year contract worth $5.75M annually.  Good deal for the Wild, buys out 1 UFA year.  I imagine Minny won't have any problem paying him if he proves last season was not an aberration.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Drai just signed 8 Years/$68 Mil, great deal to keep him with McDavid for the next decade almost.

It's an overpay of 500k-1M per year tbh. He has to put up 70 points and command his own line for that contract to be justified. $23M tied up in McDavid and Drai is a lot. That's around 30% of the cap I think.

Edited by RaidersAreOne

Expected.  I am a big fan of Drai.  It is tough for teams that have a lot of money tied up in a few players because other strong players will eventually leave for money elsewhere.  Their FO will have to do a very good job unearthing new young talent to supplement them.  They're about as good a 1-2 punch as you can get going forward in the future though.

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's an overpay of 500k-1M per year tbh. He has to put up 70 points and command his own line for that contract to be justified. $23M tied up in McDavid and Drai is a lot. That's around 30% of the cap I think.

Eh if the overpay is that small why even mention it? if thats the case this contract will look like a bargain in 2 years.

As Roy and Steel said, when you have the young talent you lock it up. 29 other teams would kill to be Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin) or Chicago (Toews/Kane). It will take some shrewd GMing to build around them with their restrictions but once the top end is figured out the depth generally falls into place.

Edited by Hockey5djh

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Eh if the overpay is that small why even mention it? if thats the case this contract will look like a bargain in 2 years.

As Roy and Steel said, when you have the young talent you lock it up. 29 other teams would kill to be Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin) or Chicago (Toews/Kane). It will take some shrewd GMing to build around them with their restrictions but once the top end is figured out the depth generally falls into place.

Not doubting the talent, I am questioning giving him this incredibly large deal for a relatively unproven player. He looked great last year but who doesn't playing with McDavid. They need him to produce as THE guy on his own line and the sample size of him doing so is very small.

No doubt there will be astronomical amounts of pressure on the big two in Edmonton. I truly do not trust Chiarelli to build his team successfully when strapped for cash.