Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

speaking as a penguins fan i'm obviously livid with this playoff picture but there's a hilarious scenario where the canes lose to the rangers in the play in, then lose their first round pick to the rangers in the lottery as well and that would be awesome

13 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

speaking as a penguins fan i'm obviously livid with this playoff picture but there's a hilarious scenario where the canes lose to the rangers in the play in, then lose their first round pick to the rangers in the lottery as well and that would be awesome

Honestly it could happen. Their reason to oppose the Rangers in the play in scenario was such weak sauce, would not surprise me if the Rangers came out all guns blazing.

• Like 1

So NHL opens it's Phase 2 part of it's plan to return. That means starting monday, teams can return to the ice in small groups for workouts and training. It's not training camp but it's still on ice training. Should note, it's not required, it's all dependent on teams and their hygiene leader, cleaning schedule etc etc. Also local governments need to sign off.

Secondly, rumor has it that the two HUB cities in the NHL will be Vegas and Toronto. Vegas obviously for the Western conference and Toronto for the Eastern. There has been speculation that the NHL is holding off on announcing them as cities to allow Toronto to get it's **** together in terms of Covid control. It's a rumor but I can definitely believe it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Forge said:

TB had to close down facilities because multiple players and staff tested positive

To add more fuel to the "There wont be a post-season" crowd, Toronto superstar Auston Matthews tested positive for Covid-19. He was in Arizona.

Two states which are clusterbombs in terms of Corona upsticks and actual handling it. NHL and other sports need to steer clear of US and Canadian States/provinces that are handling Covid poorly.

This also doesn't bode well for one of the rumored HUBs which is Vegas, which has seen an uptick in cases.

• Like 1

A bit of a surprise. Rumored HUB city Toronto gets kicked off it's spot and Vancouver gets it. Still insanity Vegas is being considered.

Lottery is coming up soon. As a reminder, it's very possible that we go into the play-ins with a undetermined team(that is someone in the play in rounds) winning the lottery. If that happens, Chicago and Montreal would then have the two best odds. 

On 6/20/2020 at 6:44 AM, Canadian Saint said:

To add more fuel to the "There wont be a post-season" crowd, Toronto superstar Auston Matthews tested positive for Covid-19. He was in Arizona.

Two states which are clusterbombs in terms of Corona upsticks and actual handling it. NHL and other sports need to steer clear of US and Canadian States/provinces that are handling Covid poorly.

This also doesn't bode well for one of the rumored HUBs which is Vegas, which has seen an uptick in cases.

absolute clownosity they're considering vegas still! i see the allure in a vaccuum ("it's in the middle of the desert") but it's such a bustling destination that it can only end badly

it's really a shame because we could have sports back safely if people weren't idiots who refused to follow the distancing guidelines from the disease experts but here we are

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

absolute clownosity they're considering vegas still! i see the allure in a vaccuum ("it's in the middle of the desert") but it's such a bustling destination that it can only end badly

it's really a shame because we could have sports back safely if people weren't idiots who refused to follow the distancing guidelines from the disease experts but here we are

Apart from the allure of the bubble and the glitz and glamour, my personal theory is the NHL is trying to get a stronger footing before the Raiders and the NFL come to play. I honestly can't tell you off the top of my head a city which has both NFL and NHL teams, where the NHL team is more popular. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I don't think optics are good if interest in Vegas is falling, while you are expanding to Seattle also.

Smartest option would be to have both HUB cities in Canada. One in Vancovuer and one in Toronto (should be Edmonton, but we're not a big media market).

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 12:40 AM, Canadian Saint said:

Apart from the allure of the bubble and the glitz and glamour, my personal theory is the NHL is trying to get a stronger footing before the Raiders and the NFL come to play. I honestly can't tell you off the top of my head a city which has both NFL and NHL teams, where the NHL team is more popular. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I don't think optics are good if interest in Vegas is falling, while you are expanding to Seattle also.

Smartest option would be to have both HUB cities in Canada. One in Vancovuer and one in Toronto (should be Edmonton, but we're not a big media market).

ooooh i could really get on board with that theory, given that so far the vegas expansion has been such a success if they could corner the market over the big bad nfl that would be a huge coup for their powerbrokers and their bigwigs

big agree that both hub cities should be in canada. plus it would be the only way they'd see SCF action in the great white north ;)

• Like 1

2 round mock. Pittsburgh won the lottery.

Round 1
1. Pittsburgh - Alexis Lafreniere | LW | Rimouski (QMJHL)
2. LA Kings - Quinton Byfield | C | Sudbury (OHL)
3. Ottawa - Tim Stutzle | C/LW | Alder Mannheim (DEL)
4. Detroit - Cole Perfetti | C/LW | Saginaw (OHL)
5. Ottawa - Jamie Drysdale | RD | Erie (OHL)
6. Anaheim - Jake Sanderson | LD | USNTDP (USHL)
7. NJ Devils - Marco Rossi | C/LW | Ottawa (OHL)
8. Buffalo - Alexander Holtz | RW | DJurgardens (SHL)
9. Montreal - Hendrix Lapierre | C | Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
10. Chicago - Lucas Raymond | RW | Frolunda (SHL)
11. NJ Devils - Jack Quinn | RW | Ottawa (OHL)
12. Minnesota - Connor Zary | C | Kamloops (WHL)
13. Winnipeg - Braden Schneider | RD | Brandon (WHL)
14. Calgary - Anton Lundell | C | HIFK (Liiga)
15. NY Rangers - Noel Gunler | RW | Lulea (SHL)
16. NJ Devils - Kaiden Guhle | LD | Prince Albert (WHL)
17. Nashville - Yaroslav Askarov | G | SKA (VHL)
18. Florida - Rodion Amirov | LW | Ufa (KHL)
19. Columbus - Marat Khusnutdinov | C | SKA-1946 (MHL)
20. Carolina - Dawson Mercer | RW | Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
21. Edmonton - Jan Mysak | LW | Hamilton (OHL)
22. Ottawa - Tyson Foerster | C | USNTDP (USHL)
23. NY Rangers - Brendan Brisson | C | Chicago (USHL)
24. Dallas - Justin Barron | RD | Halifax (QMJHL)
25. Vegas - Seth Jarvis | RW | Portland (WHL)
26. Philadelphia - Jacob Perreault | RW | Sarnia (OHL)
27. Washington - Jeremie Poirier | LD | Saint John (QMJHL)
28. SJ Sharks - JJ Peterka | RW | Munchen (DEL)
29. Colorado - Martin Chromiak | LW | Kingston (OHL)
30. St. Louis - Dylan Holloway | LW | Wisconsin (NCAA)
31. Anaheim - Vasili Ponomaryov | C | Shawinigan (QMJHL)

Round 2
32. Detroit - Mavrik Bourque | C | Shawinigan (QMJHL)
33. Ottawa - Lukas Cormier | LD | Charlottetown (QMJHL)
34. SJ Sharks - Lukas Reichel | LW | Berlin (DEL)
35. LA Kings - Sam Colangelo | RW | Chicago (USHL)
36. Anaheim - Helge Grans | RD | Malmo J20 (SuperElit)
37. Nashville - Emil Andrae | LD | HV71 J20 (SuperElit)
38. Buffalo - Jake Neighbours | LW | Edmonton (WHL)
39. Montreal - William Wallinder | LD | MODO J20 (SuperElit)
40. Montreal - Topi Niemela | RD | Karpat (Liiga)
41. Arizona - Thomas Bordeleau | C | USNTDP (USHL)
42. Minnesota - Ridly Greig | C/LW | Brandon (WHL)
43. Winnipeg - Zion Nybeck | RW | HV71 J20 (SuperElit)
44. Calgary - William Villenueve | RD | Saint John (QMJHL)
45. Carolina - Ty Smilanic | C | USNTDP (USHL)
46. LA Kings - Ryan O'Rourke | LD | Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
47. Nashville - Jean-Luc Foudy | C | Windsor (OHL)
48. Florida - Joni Jurmo | LD | Jokerit U20 (Jr A SM-liiga)
49. Ottawa - Carter Savoie | LW | Sherwood Park (AJHL)
50. Toronto - Ozzy Weisblatt | RW | Prince Albert (WHL)
51. Detroit - Daniil Gushchin | RW/LW | Muskegon (USHL)
52. Ottawa - Kasper Simontaival | RW | Tappara U20 (Jr. A SM-liiga)
53. Carolina - Shakir Mukhamadullin | LD | Ufa (KHL)
54. Chicago - Roni Hirvonen | C | Assat (Liiga)
55. Ottawa - Daniel Torgersson | LW/RW | Frolunda J20 (SuperElit)
56. LA Kings - Will Cuyle | LW | Windsor (OHL)
57. Philadelphia - Jaromir Pytlik | C | Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
58. Detroit - Anton Johannesson | LD | HV71 J20 (SuperElit)
59. Tampa Bay - Alexander Pashin | RW/LW | Ufa (MHL)
60. SJ Sharks - Eemil Viro | LD | TPS (Liiga)
61. Montreal - Pavel Novak | RW | Kelowna (WHL)
62. Boston - Zayde Wisdom | RW | Kingston (OHL)

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...