Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

20 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Man the Flyers are such a big example of how hard it is to find franchise C's or even top-6 C's in the NHL. They spent 1st and 2nd round pick in 2016 on C's, 2 1sts in 2017 on C's, 2018 1st on a C and now they just traded for Kevin Hayes who won't come in under $6M for a long term deal.

If Trouba's geography rumors are true, Philly might as well go all in and trade for him with some of their young pieces too. At the very least their top pairing would be sorted for the next 5 years with Provorov-Trouba.

Still have to sign Hayes first, rumblings are he might wait it out to sign with NYR or CHI.  If we do sign him though our F lineup is pretty damn good.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
JVR - Hayes - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Frost/Farabee/xxx
Raffl - Laughton - Hartman

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:41 AM, Canadian Saint said:

Man the Flyers are such a big example of how hard it is to find franchise C's or even top-6 C's in the NHL. They spent 1st and 2nd round pick in 2016 on C's, 2 1sts in 2017 on C's, 2018 1st on a C and now they just traded for Kevin Hayes who won't come in under $6M for a long term deal.

Eh, developing is key as it sometimes takes awhile. Patrick has show flashes but needs to develop consistency. Rubstov was always destined for the wing IMO (to be fair, I very much disliked the pick in general). Frost should be a good one, he tore up his Draft +1 year and flirted with the magical 2.0 PPG number his last couple seasons in juniors. O'Brein was a prep school pick (probably taken a little early) and is playing at Providence so it will be a couple years on him. That said its very rare for a center to come out of the draft and be effective immediately, despite what the McDavid's and Matthews of the world have done recently.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, flyers0909 said:

Really don't mind him as a player, fits perfectly as a middle 6 C but it all depends on the contract.  Something like 6x6 (which I expect) is just too much for him.

Fully expecting a 7 year deal for Tyler Myers after this to ruin what Hextall built. 

12 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Still have to sign Hayes first, rumblings are he might wait it out to sign with NYR or CHI.  If we do sign him though our F lineup is pretty damn good.

JVR - Hayes - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Frost/Farabee/xxx

I'm torn on Hayes. He's legit the #2 UFA C behind Duchene (who apparently isn't moving). As much as I like Patrick (and Frost) I think this move is something that is needed but also two years too late. Last year we were denied by Tavares and apparently just missed out on Stastny, the year before that the best FA center was Bonino or Hanzal. I think Fletcher has to make this move to make the big club competitive and let Patrick/Frost/etc force his hand down the road.

Personally, I think Frost gets a year in the AHL to adjust to the speed, Farabee or Radcliffe are our best chances at call ups this season but I don't think we should expect them.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm torn on Hayes. He's legit the #2 UFA C behind Duchene (who apparently isn't moving). As much as I like Patrick (and Frost) I think this move is something that is needed but also two years too late. Last year we were denied by Tavares and apparently just missed out on Stastny, the year before that the best FA center was Bonino or Hanzal. I think Fletcher has to make this move to make the big club competitive and let Patrick/Frost/etc force his hand down the road.

Personally, I think Frost gets a year in the AHL to adjust to the speed, Farabee or Radcliffe are our best chances at call ups this season but I don't think we should expect them.

Agreed, and the more I think about it I'd be okay with 6x6, he makes our F lineup legit for the forseeable future.  He's a consistent 35-40 point guy at ES and we don't need him on the PP.  Ideally Patrick takes the next step and next year or the year after Patrick is 2C and Hayes is a bit overpaid as a 3C but one of the best in the league. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Agreed, and the more I think about it I'd be okay with 6x6, he makes our F lineup legit for the forseeable future.  He's a consistent 35-40 point guy at ES and we don't need him on the PP.  Ideally Patrick takes the next step and next year or the year after Patrick is 2C and Hayes is a bit overpaid as a 3C but one of the best in the league. 

If the last few playoff appearances showed us anything, it never hurts to have strong C depth. Plus Hayes was originally a winger wasn't he? I'm sure he could transition outside if Patrick and Frost both become superstars.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:59 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Eh, developing is key as it sometimes takes awhile. Patrick has show flashes but needs to develop consistency. Rubstov was always destined for the wing IMO (to be fair, I very much disliked the pick in general). Frost should be a good one, he tore up his Draft +1 year and flirted with the magical 2.0 PPG number his last couple seasons in juniors. O'Brein was a prep school pick (probably taken a little early) and is playing at Providence so it will be a couple years on him. That said its very rare for a center to come out of the draft and be effective immediately, despite what the McDavid's and Matthews of the world have done recently.

Yeah I think the key is developing NHL caliber C is tough. Especially one you can play consistently in the top 6. A lot of players don't develop correctly or move to the wing. I also think the Flyers would do well to sign Hayes even if it's an overpay. He did pretty well under AV (who is one of my favorite coaches in the NHL) in NY and I think he'd be fine behind Couts. You guys need a RHD (go for Trouba), but I think you are well on your way to contending imo.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Yeah I think the key is developing NHL caliber C is tough. Especially one you can play consistently in the top 6. A lot of players don't develop correctly or move to the wing. I also think the Flyers would do well to sign Hayes even if it's an overpay. He did pretty well under AV (who is one of my favorite coaches in the NHL) in NY and I think he'd be fine behind Couts. You guys need a RHD (go for Trouba), but I think you are well on your way to contending imo.

Yea I think firing Hextall and calling up Hart was "Ending the Process". The goal now is to make the big club a legitimate competitor and our biggest needs are 2C and a top 4 RHD, Hayes is the #2 C on the market and only 27, would be a good get. I'm somewhat concerned about what we're gonna do on defense I haven't heard ANYTHING linking us to Karlsson. The best remaining RHD are Myers (about to get overpaid) and Stralman (taken a step back?/33 years old). Of those 2 I'd rather have Stralman on a short deal rather than overpay Myers but Stralman (like Hayes) isn't an overly exciting signing.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:20 AM, flyers0909 said:

Friedman is reporting rumblings that the flyers are open to moving Patrick. Doesn't sound like they are trying to get rid of him, but that they are more than willing to do so if it makes sense. Which I suppose you can say about almost anyone, but I find it interesting. 

Flyers are going to be very interesting this off season. I think that they are going to be buuuuuuuuuuusy

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Flyers are going to be very interesting this off season. I think that they are going to be buuuuuuuuuuusy

Considering Hextall got fired for not getting busy I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I wonder how far in we'll wade in the Trouba, Hamonic, Brodie waters for find that top 4 RHD?

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Friedman is reporting rumblings that the flyers are open to moving Patrick. Doesn't sound like they are trying to get rid of him, but that they are more than willing to do so if it makes sense. Which I suppose you can say about almost anyone, but I find it interesting. 

McKenzie came back and kinda refuted that.

McKenzie on TSN radio said that Fletcher will be active. Dont expect Giroux, Couturier, Patrick, Voracek, Provorov, Sanheim and Myers to be traded. Obviously Hart too but that shouldn't need to be said.

Trading Patrick would make absolutely no sense, C instantly becomes an issue again.  We haven't even signed Hayes yet.  

Assuming we sign Hayes the only real holes on the roster are 3RW and backup G.  That 3RW could be Frost/Farabee or if Fletcher doesn't want to rely on them someone like Justin Williams would be a perfect stop gap.

A defense of Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Gudas, Myers is pretty solid especially since I think it's a safe bet that Provy and Ghost have bounce back years.  I'm totally open to someone like Trouba or Spurgeon depending on the price but really don't want to give up 11OA.  If those prices are too high someone like Stralman would be a perfect fit even if he's declining a bit.  

JVR - Hayes - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Williams

Provorov - Sanheim
Ghost - Gudas
Myers - Stralman

Hart
Vet Backup

That's a playoff roster to me. 

Boston sure is doing a lot of whining this series. There’s been non-calls on both sides that have benefited each team.  Hell, Boston’s first goal was with 6 players on the ice. And then there was Chara’s slash on Bozak that broke Bozak’s stick when the Blues were on the power play in game 1 down 3-2 that was a clear penalty. Should of been a 5 on 3 for a minute + 

the low hit on Tarasenko yesterday and the spear by Marchand into Binnington should of got a hearing today. That was some BS. 

But instead the NHL is listening to the Bruins whine. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

McKenzie came back and kinda refuted that.

Trading Patrick would make absolutely no sense, C instantly becomes an issue again.  We haven't even signed Hayes yet.  

Assuming we sign Hayes the only real holes on the roster are 3RW and backup G.  That 3RW could be Frost/Farabee or if Fletcher doesn't want to rely on them someone like Justin Williams would be a perfect stop gap.

A defense of Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Gudas, Myers is pretty solid especially since I think it's a safe bet that Provy and Ghost have bounce back years.  I'm totally open to someone like Trouba or Spurgeon depending on the price but really don't want to give up 11OA.  If those prices are too high someone like Stralman would be a perfect fit even if he's declining a bit.  

JVR - Hayes - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Williams

Provorov - Sanheim
Ghost - Gudas
Myers - Stralman

Hart
Vet Backup

That's a playoff roster to me. 

If only you guys had had a chance to draft Pavel Zacha. Then it'd be a complete team 😉

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like this Skinner extension is not going to look very good in for years

I really like Jeff Skinner and wanted him bad on the Flyers before Buffalo traded for him, but 8x9 for a guy who has averaged ~55 points over the past 4 seasons.  That is a REAL bad contract. I mean the Flyers are talking about something like 6x6 for Hayes who has averaged 50 points over the last 4 and is a center and is superior defensively.  

I get paying a premium for a goal scorer but man he's now the 12th highest paid player in the NHL.  Draisaitl just made less than that last season after scoring 77 and 70.

I should add that I do get that's its Buffalo and it was going to take a premium to keep him so I kinda get it from their point of view. 

Edited by flyers0909
  • Like 1