Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

On 2/7/2021 at 12:39 PM, Canadian Saint said:

Have you seen our goaltending? It's either we play McDrai into the ground or give up a soft goal.

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

For real though I just can't comprehend Holland's solution to the Oilers Goalie situation was to bring back an almost 39 Mike Smith and rotate in with Mikko again. Sure Markstrom didn't work out but they obviously needed a better contingency plan. 

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

For real though I just can't comprehend Holland's solution to the Oilers Goalie situation was to bring back an almost 39 Mike Smith and rotate in with Mikko again. Sure Markstrom didn't work out but they obviously needed a better contingency plan. 

Yeah no doubt I wish he settled with better options in goal, but I think the two things Holland had in mind going into this season was the expansion draft with protection, and also cap space. Next offseason Holland and the Oilers will have the most cap space they've had to shape the roster since 2015. After contracts to guys like Nuge and Yams, IIRC we should have around 20M to play with. Not saying I agree with it, but I think that's his line of thinking.

1 hour ago, TwoToneBlue said:

But Roslovic's goal thooooooooo

So underused in Winnipeg. I said it when the trade was announced, I think he'll be a 3rd line C at worst. I think he'll surprise quite a few people.

Seems like kind of a weird fit.  Hexy got us out of cap hell and an empty prospects cupboard and completely rebuilt this team into one of the best prospect pools in the league.  His issue was he never actually helped the NHL team.  Really TERRIBLE veteran signings and was super hesitant to play his prospects.  If this was in a few years when Geno/Sid were on their way out it would make sense but seems odd to think he'll mortgage any part of the future to win now.  

So uh, think the Rangers need to be concerned about their young talent? Lafreniere is at 1 point in 13 games, Kakko is at 3 points in 12 games in a sophomore season after a rough rookie season. Now it's not all bad news, Panarin, Buch and Fox are having good seasons among others. But man, that has to be a little worrying if you're a Rangers fan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

So uh, think the Rangers need to be concerned about their young talent? Lafreniere is at 1 point in 13 games, Kakko is at 3 points in 12 games in a sophomore season after a rough rookie season. Now it's not all bad news, Panarin, Buch and Fox are having good seasons among others. But man, that has to be a little worrying if you're a Rangers fan.

The kakko thing for sure. That's pure flat line there. I get that we are still talking limited sample, but you'd like to see some progress there. Jack isn't lighting the world up at 8 in 9, but the dude has been the best player on the ice in a number of games and it's clearly far better this year. Way more confident. 

Laf is one if those things where you just let it play out and he plays how he plays. It's okay to have a disappointing season there. Similar to Jack, I wouldn't freak out if it's poor