Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

Just now, Canadian Saint said:

Y'all did good in a buyers market. Greer and Jobst are basically bottom six/AHL depth type guys, but a 1st and potentially a 3rd is good value for what you gave up.

Yep. Said it in our thread that we needed guys to fill the AHL roster once we start promoting guys. We needed size too so Greer makes some sense as a 4th line checking LW that can score a bit. Jobst is whatever. He'll be the new Seney once we move on from him. The real prize was managing to pull that 1st. The 4th is guaranteed to at least translate. We weren't going to get a 1 for Palmieri alone nor were we going to get a 4th for Zajac (he'd need to waive anyways and we all knew it was NYI or bust there) so Fitzgerald did as well as you could've expected.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. Said it in our thread that we needed guys to fill the AHL roster once we start promoting guys. We needed size too so Greer makes some sense as a 4th line checking LW that can score a bit. Jobst is whatever. He'll be the new Seney once we move on from him. The real prize was managing to pull that 1st. The 4th is guaranteed to at least translate. We weren't going to get a 1 for Palmieri alone nor were we going to get a 4th for Zajac (he'd need to waive anyways and we all knew it was NYI or bust there) so Fitzgerald did as well as you could've expected.

The best thing Fitzgerald did was consolidate his assets and maximize his return. Instead of getting a 2nd for Palms and 4th for Zajac, he packaged them together, ate half their salary, and got a 1st out of the deal. You guys aren't going anywhere this season, but you'll still have the added cap space and the 1st in the future. You made the most out of a buyers market.

Out of curiosity what is your protection list for the expansion draft look like? That second 1st could be prime trade bait for a good player on a deep team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Out of curiosity what is your protection list for the expansion draft look like? That second 1st could be prime trade bait for a good player on a deep team.

Remind me what the rules are for protection? Is it 8 skaters and a goalie or 6/7 forwards, 3 D and a goalie? Then I can answer that. 

Regardless, Seattle isn't going to get much to pick from IRT the Devils. Gonna be a lot of trash or unproven forwards or overpaid dmen (Butcher, Subban).

@Forge can chip in here as well.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Remind me what the rules are for protection? Is it 8 skaters and a goalie or 6/7 forwards, 3 D and a goalie? Then I can answer that. 

Regardless, Seattle isn't going to get much to pick from IRT the Devils. Gonna be a lot of trash or unproven forwards or overpaid dmen (Butcher, Subban).

@Forge can chip in here as well.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

@Forge Help me out here...What am I missing? What are we going to do about the goalie qualification?

Forwards: Nico, Wood, Bratt, Zacha, Rango and Kuokkanen (if Rango doesn't qualify, then we'll protect McLeod)

So that would expose Andreas Johnsson, Nick Merkley, Mikhail Maltsev or Michael McLeod at forward

Depending on what we do at D, we might just protect 8 skaters. Don't think we have to worry about Ty Smith. We only have Subban, Severson and Butcher under contract next year. I'm not sure Will Butcher is even going to fill the requirement for exposure with games played being a healthy scratch this year. He's only played 64 games combined so I'd imagine we'll ice him out there for at least 6 more so we can expose him.

So, not sure what to expect at D, but, right now, I'd imagine we'd protect 8 skaters.

Nico, Wood, Bratt, Zacha, Rango, Kuokkanen, McLeod and Severson with the 8th spot up for grabs between McLeod and Subban and MacBlack as the goalie. 

EDIT - I forgot about AJ but I'd hope we wouldn't protect him. He's not worth his cap hit.

Edited by beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Is the expansion draft after UFA?

After for right now. It'd have to be someone not under contract. But Corey has wedgewood listed as the expansion draft guy. Cormier is also an option apparently

Just now, Forge said:

After for right now. It'd have to be someone not under contract. But Corey has wedgewood listed as the expansion draft guy. Cormier is also an option apparently

So, if it's after UFA, then whoever we sign, that currently isn't on the roster, is automatically protected, right?

With Cormier, we'd have to offer him a qualifying offer and nothing more, yeah? Cuz that makes the most sense for us, if so.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So, if it's after UFA, then whoever we sign, that currently isn't on the roster, is automatically protected, right?

With Cormier, we'd have to offer him a qualifying offer and nothing more, yeah? Cuz that makes the most sense for us, if so.

Expansion draft is before. 7/21. FA opens 7/28 is my understanding

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GW21 said:

These referees are atrocious in this Avs v Wild game. My lord this is the worst I’ve seen in a while. 

7 penalties in the first seems a bit much, but I guess I haven't seen any atrocious calls tonite. It was bound to be a bit physical tonite knowing how Mondays game ended.

7 minutes ago, Tperk said:

7 penalties in the first seems a bit much, but I guess I haven't seen any atrocious calls tonite. It was bound to be a bit physical tonite knowing how Mondays game ended.

A delay of game penalty for players changing on an icing call that should have been waved off is what inspired that post. Also the first penalty where they called a hook on MacKinnon where Fiala was holding his stick was pretty week. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a delay of game penalty called for that before.