Jump to content

Official NHL Thread


roysmyboy31
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at really getting into the NHL this year. Don't really have a team but would like to go local. Three closest teams are the Wild, Blues, and Blackhawks. Any thoughts/views on the teams that are worth noting? 

I did watch hockey a bit late in the season/playoffs last year. Got to see a decent bit of the Blues and Wild and did enjoy what I saw. Haven't watched the Hawks much though although I obviously know about Toews/Kane/Crawford/Keith/Saad etc.

One thing that deters me a bit from the Blackhawks is the recent success of that franchise. From the looks of it they may be heading on the downward slope though so that helps (obviously don't care to just hitch to an elite team) but I do want to stay local as I said prior. Blues and Wild are pretty options too of course as neither have won cups.

Edited by .Buzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2017 at 7:25 AM, tom cody said:

I've always liked the Blues, myself. All 3 are solid teams so you shouldn't be disappointed if you cheer for either. 

That's kind of what I'm noticing.

Chicago is the main team I'd like to start following as I'd like to move to Chicago after finishing up school but the fact that they've been so successful recently/won multiple cups over the past several years kind of is a turn off for a brand new fan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2017 at 0:02 AM, .Buzz said:

Looking at really getting into the NHL this year. Don't really have a team but would like to go local. Three closest teams are the Wild, Blues, and Blackhawks. Any thoughts/views on the teams that are worth noting? 

I did watch hockey a bit late in the season/playoffs last year. Got to see a decent bit of the Blues and Wild and did enjoy what I saw. Haven't watched the Hawks much though although I obviously know about Toews/Kane/Crawford/Keith/Saad etc.

One thing that deters me a bit from the Blackhawks is the recent success of that franchise. From the looks of it they may be heading on the downward slope though so that helps (obviously don't care to just hitch to an elite team) but I do want to stay local as I said prior. Blues and Wild are pretty options too of course as neither have won cups.

So I know you are looking local, but if I was you, I'd watch as many game as you can at the start of the season and find a team that plays the way you like. Also do some research into how certain teams are run. An example is the Preds. This was an expansion team that has been run by a terrific GM who has built the team via fantastic drafting and developing, and recently smart trades, and made them into a power house that should compete for the cup for a while. Under Lavi, they play an exciting brand of hockey too.

As the above poster said, all three are good choices but instead of focusing on a local team, I'd do some research and support a team that suits you, both on and off the ice.

Lastly, the Blues might be historically the most under-performing franchise in the league. Fair warning.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

So I know you are looking local, but if I was you, I'd watch as many game as you can at the start of the season and find a team that plays the way you like. Also do some research into how certain teams are run. An example is the Preds. This was an expansion team that has been run by a terrific GM who has built the team via fantastic drafting and developing, and recently smart trades, and made them into a power house that should compete for the cup for a while. Under Lavi, they play an exciting brand of hockey too.

As the above poster said, all three are good choices but instead of focusing on a local team, I'd do some research and support a team that suits you, both on and off the ice.

Lastly, the Blues might be historically the most under-performing franchise in the league. Fair warning.

Yeah, as a Jaguars fan I know I don't need to be local but it just makes things so much easier. I'd like to be able to hit up home games and be able to watch on TV (although it's fairly easy to find streams of games for the NHL). Where is a good place to get research about how a team is ran/figure out what suits you? 

Also, I'm relatively new to hockey and I'm sure there is bars/places who watch those teams around here than some place like Ottawa (I enjoyed watching them too, but not sure if I should follow a Canadian team or not).

As for the Blues underachieving, that's fine. As long as there is chances of some success than that is cool. Not like I need to jump on with a consistently insane team. Losing is fine if there is hope at least.

Edited by .Buzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, as a Jaguars fan I know I don't need to be local but it just makes things so much easier. I'd like to be able to hit up home games and be able to watch on TV (although it's fairly easy to find streams of games for the NHL). Where is a good place to get research about how a team is ran/figure out what suits you? 

As for the Blues underachieving, that's fine. As long as there is chances of some success than that is cool. Not like I need to jump on with a consistently insane team. Losing is fine if there is hope at least.

Part of knowing how a team is run is going to be going to team specific forums. We have a pretty solid group here, I'm sure fans of those teams would be happy to tell you about them. Part of the fun is lining yourself up with how a team is run. For example, my team, The Edmonton Oilers, after a decade of possibly the worse management in the league, we're finally looking like a cup contender thanks to McDavid, head coach McLellan and GM Chiarelli. Both our head coach and GM likes to mix a brand of physical play and skill, plus skating is a must. Since we have to mega contracts in Draisaitl and McDavid, our draft picks is going complementary wingers and defenders, as we'll need players to who outplay their ELC. McLellan likes heavy forecheckers, so our bottom six is filled with guys who are defensively solid, and like to play physical hockey. Again skating is a must. Stuff like that is really fun to discover. I'd say watch games and take in the commentary. You'll know soon how teams are run.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Part of knowing how a team is run is going to be going to team specific forums. We have a pretty solid group here, I'm sure fans of those teams would be happy to tell you about them. Part of the fun is lining yourself up with how a team is run. For example, my team, The Edmonton Oilers, after a decade of possibly the worse management in the league, we're finally looking like a cup contender thanks to McDavid, head coach McLellan and GM Chiarelli. Both our head coach and GM likes to mix a brand of physical play and skill, plus skating is a must. Since we have to mega contracts in Draisaitl and McDavid, our draft picks is going complementary wingers and defenders, as we'll need players to who outplay their ELC. McLellan likes heavy forecheckers, so our bottom six is filled with guys who are defensively solid, and like to play physical hockey. Again skating is a must. Stuff like that is really fun to discover. I'd say watch games and take in the commentary. You'll know soon how teams are run.

Well, there isn't exactly team specific forums here. But yeah, hopefully those guys chime in here.

As I edited in prior which you may not have seen though, as a new fan to hockey I think it'd be nice to have people to talk hockey with/watch hockey with too. Hence why local would be nice. 

That actually sounds like a brand of hockey I'd enjoy. I really like physical play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...