Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

Gotta wonder if they are going to move. They could play where the Suns play for a few seasons if they can get a new arena built but I don't see where they'll get the funding in Phoenix/Tempe to pull it off. It would have to be a co-funded arena since the Footprint Center is a **** hole so maybe the Suns would be interested in building a new arena.

Edited by beekay414

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Gotta wonder if they are going to move. They could play where the Suns play for a few seasons if they can get a new arena built but I don't see where they'll get the funding in Phoenix/Tempe to pull it off. It would have to be a co-funded arena since the Footprint Center is a **** hole so maybe the Suns would be interested in building a new arena.

I wondered the same thing. Does Meruelo have ties to Phoenix / Arizona at all? 

There have to be better places for the Coyotes to play. That experiment has not worked out as hoped. If Quebec can support two teams (and it seems like people believe that it can) then I have no problem with them moving up north. I'm not sure what other American cities are really primed to take in an NHL team right away or have satisfactory long term prospects. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Have they ever shown any interest in an NHL team? 

They have in the past but the Blackhawks owner, when he purchased the team I believe (or something of that nature), had an agreement in place with the NHL that a team couldn't be located within a certain distance (basically meant you can't put a team in Milwaukee). When the Bradley Center was built, it was built with hockey and basketball in mind. That lifted once they won a Stanley Cup IIRC.

I'm willing to bet they'd make a proper push for a team unless the AHL and Admirals fought them on it. But, they are as ready to go as any place in the country as far as facilities go.

EDIT: Here's an article about it. I'm reading it now!

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/milwaukee-not-nhl-city/

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

So, in 2018, the Bucks owners said there were no current plans for an NHL team in Fiserv but they are capable of supporting one.

Just one option, obviously, but Milwaukee, with the arena and as a market, are more than capable of supporting an NHL team.

Yeah, I don't think they'll be staying in Arizona tbqh. Forgot the Suns just renovated Footprint and it's not really built for hockey at all. So, co-partnering with the Suns on a new arena is off the table. Knowing the lack of support the Coyotes get in the area, I don't think Tempe/Phoenix would support building a new one just for them.

Have to believe they're gone, yes?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I don't think they'll be staying in Arizona tbqh. Forgot the Suns just renovated Footprint and it's not really built for hockey at all. So, co-partnering with the Suns on a new arena is off the table. Knowing the lack of support the Coyotes get in the area, I don't think Tempe/Phoenix would support building a new one just for them.

Have to believe they're gone, yes?

It really was my immediate thought. I don't know if that means sale, or just flat out relocation though. 

They'd be intriguing to a buyer. Their poisoned assets are largely off the books. Couple of years of justified low payrolls to get through covid

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

My guess is that the NHL would do whatever it took to keep them in the South tho. Houston, San Antonio, Salt Lake City.

Maybe Texas could make it work. Dallas hasn't had any issues with fit. But man, they've got some terrible fits and locations

Just now, Forge said:

It really was my immediate thought. I don't know if that means sale, or just flat out relocation though. 

They'd be intriguing to a buyer. Their poisoned assets are largely off the books. Couple of years of justified low payrolls to get through covid

There's some talk going around that they may have a deal with Tempe on the way but who knows. You'd think the NHL might force their hand and get them out of there. It's obviously been a failed run. They've been there 25 years now and have very little traction with the local base.

Just now, beekay414 said:

There's some talk going around that they may have a deal with Tempe on the way but who knows. You'd think the NHL might force their hand and get them out of there. It's obviously been a failed run. They've been there 25 years now and have very little traction with the local base.

And how many times has the NHL saved them, twice?

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe Texas could make it work. Dallas hasn't had any issues with fit. But man, they've got some terrible fits and locations

If they weren't focused on keeping them in the South/West, I think Milwaukee is perfect but that's also because I'm biased there. 

Kansas City maybe but that's way more Midwest than South/West. 

Edited by beekay414