Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

37 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

This is my first year trying to watch hockey. I have no knowledge of the sport at all. 

Im curious about the different types of teams to pick some ( like in football how you can classify teams; defense /offense first , pass first/ run first, west coast offense / down field passing attack ) 

I think I would gravitate to the more aggressive , hard hitting , athletic type 

So firstly let me say welcome! Legitimately one of the best sports to watch/follow with the most intense playoffs around.

So in hockey, you essentially have three zones of play, offense, defense and neutral zone (plus special teams). Since there isn't starts and stops like in football and it's continuous, teams all essentially play some sort of aggressive, hard hitting and athletic type. Where they differ is how they do it. For example some teams while in the offensive zone will aim to cycle to get shots from the slot, others will try to get it to the net and jam it in, and others will try generate a point shot for it to go downhill (I'm aware most of this stuff means absolutely nothing to a new fan).

The best advice I always give to new fans is to watch games and you'll see how teams operate. To start, watch some of the best players in the game. McDavid/Draisaitl on the Edmonton Oilers, MacKinnon on the Colorado Avalanche, Auston Matthews on the Leafs and some of the older starts too like Crosby on the Penguins and Ovechkin on the Capitals.

This thread has a number of fans, so you could probably watch their teams and ask them questions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

So firstly let me say welcome! Legitimately one of the best sports to watch/follow with the most intense playoffs around.

So in hockey, you essentially have three zones of play, offense, defense and neutral zone (plus special teams). Since there isn't starts and stops like in football and it's continuous, teams all essentially play some sort of aggressive, hard hitting and athletic type. Where they differ is how they do it. For example some teams while in the offensive zone will aim to cycle to get shots from the slot, others will try to get it to the net and jam it in, and others will try generate a point shot for it to go downhill (I'm aware most of this stuff means absolutely nothing to a new fan).

The best advice I always give to new fans is to watch games and you'll see how teams operate. To start, watch some of the best players in the game. McDavid/Draisaitl on the Edmonton Oilers, MacKinnon on the Colorado Avalanche, Auston Matthews on the Leafs and some of the older starts too like Crosby on the Penguins and Ovechkin on the Capitals.

This thread has a number of fans, so you could probably watch their teams and ask them questions.

Thank you for that ! I’m watching Buffalo and Boston tonight . I didn’t care too much for their style of play. I live by Buffalo and know the team isn’t very good.

• Like 1

So one thing I've been thinking about recently is whether late in game when a team is down and go on the power play should they pull the goalie to go 6v4.

I read this article and it says you should. But when you look at the numbers I'm not so sure it is that clear. You score far more often, but unsurprisingly also give up a goal more often. And it looks like the difference in goals per 60 would favor staying 5-4. Now that is obviously true for pulling the goalie at even strength as well, but when teams are typically scoring at about 25% at 5v4 anyway, as opposed to far less at 5v5 it seems that maybe pulling the goalie really isn't worth the risk. But I'm not really sure. 

Do any of you have thougts, or maybe other stats that can be looked at to tell

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Thank you for that ! I’m watching Buffalo and Boston tonight . I didn’t care too much for their style of play. I live by Buffalo and know the team isn’t very good.

Try to not watch any of these games being broadcast on ESPN+ until they get new announcers...the current ones they have will likely make you never wanna watch hockey again!

12 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Try to not watch any of these games being broadcast on ESPN+ until they get new announcers...the current ones they have will likely make you never wanna watch hockey again!

Not all the games on ESPN+ are ESPN announcers. Many of them are carrying a local broadcast

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Not all the games on ESPN+ are ESPN announcers. Many of them are carrying a local broadcast

Yeah, I'm just noticing that. Watched Wild/Ducks earlier in the week and just turned on Stars/Kings and it was same announcers. Cannot stand them. Just switched to Oilers/Knights and they have the local announcers.

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Do you enjoy pain and also hate seeing teams score goals, pass well, or get good shots on goal?

Do you love the challenge of playing a longterm backup goalie?

Do you like seeing Caufield pass the puck in crunchtime instead of taling the shot?

Are you okay with the fact that most hockey fans dislike your team?

if so, may i interest you in the Montreal Canadiens?

34 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Yeah, I'm just noticing that. Watched Wild/Ducks earlier in the week and just turned on Stars/Kings and it was same announcers. Cannot stand them. Just switched to Oilers/Knights and they have the local announcers.

yeah, local announcers are where its at.

A canadian account is a plus.

Hockey isnt a sport where you want dumb jock announcers yelling and screaming.

you want it calm, lowkey, and understated, until the time is right

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

"But then an unexpected incident ended the fun early: DidTheHabsLose.com was hacked overnight and transformed into an anti-Hurricanes website."

Next time dont **** with us :)

4 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

think I would gravitate to the more aggressive , hard hitting , athletic type 

Aggressive and hard hitting you say?

NHL Team Fighting Majors Leaders
  1. Seattle Kraken 6.
  2. New Jersey Devils 3.
  3. Anaheim Ducks 2.
  4. Arizona Coyotes 2.
  5. Calgary Flames 2.
  6. Chicago Blackhawks 2.
  7. Columbus Blue Jackets 2.
  8. Minnesota Wild 2.

2 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

1. Seattle Kraken 6.
  2. New Jersey Devils 3.
  3. Anaheim Ducks 2.
  4. Arizona Coyotes 2.
  5. Calgary Flames 2.
  6. Chicago Blackhawks 2.
  8. Minnesota Wild 2.

But the Wild lead the league in "jump punches" in a fight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Malfatron said:

1. Seattle Kraken 6.
  2. New Jersey Devils 3.
  3. Anaheim Ducks 2.
  4. Arizona Coyotes 2.
  5. Calgary Flames 2.
  6. Chicago Blackhawks 2.
  8. Minnesota Wild 2.

Interesting . How about like an up and coming team where they haven’t been so good but have some promising prospects / young guys . 

38 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Interesting . How about like an up and coming team where they haven’t been so good but have some promising prospects / young guys . 

Ottawa Senators might be your team. FYI their owner is a cheap bastard, but they have been tanking for a bit and have a pretty nice core. Their GM is a good scout and talent evaluator, they are just about to try to compete for the playoffs and start moving towards contendership.