Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

13 hours ago, Forge said:

He did have an okay year last season, which was a nice bounce back, but he can be really bad defensively and without the puck. Basically, if he's not putting the puck in the net and scoring a lot of points he's not really a good player. Even doing that stuff he's sometimes a neutral player.

If  you look at his RAPM charts from the the last three years, they are gloriously hilarious. Last year's was far more neutral though, so that is good. may indicate a bounce back...but it could also just be a blip. His previous 2 years were yikes. And it's not just an "it's arizona" problem either; Hockey Viz has shown in the past that Kessel's on ice isolated impact is actually bad for the Coyotes; they have been worse when it comes to both expected goals for and against.  I haven't seen this for 21-22, but he was basically dragging the team down the previous two years whether it was offense of defense. 

I'd be a little concerned about the dip in goals.  On one hand, he shot awful last year, and that should bounce back to some extent on the other hand his 17 expected goals in 82 games is simply not great and at 34, it wouldn't be surprising if the offense is failing him. Nearly 40% of his points last year were secondary. That's not great either. 

If they get him for like 1.5, its fine...but it's not the boon that you think it would be based on name recognition. Stick him on the power play and put him out on the ice at even strength as little as possible. 11 minutes a night, 6 minutes of that on the PP lol. If his shot hasn't completely abandoned him, that's the best way to get real value from him. 

I understand this. But how many 3rd line wingers can play both way? Or at least are very good on one end. He’s a very smart risk to take for a team up against the cap. Not much else you can do. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I understand this. But how many 3rd line wingers can play both way? Or at least are very good on one end. He’s a very smart risk to take for a team up against the cap. Not much else you can do. 

He's basically Mike Hoffman at this point. He'll drag you down so much in his own zone that it's really not worth it for the offense he contributes. And it's not like he's potting goals like Laine does. He had 8 goals and 25 primary assists last year. He's fine but he's a drag on defense. He's like a 20 PPG scorer in basketball that gives up 25 a night on his end.