Covid-19 and the 2020 season

bucsfan333

14 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

In the history of the NFL, there has been on field tragedies before.  Darryl Stingley and Corey Stringer come to mind.  In particular with Stringer what was done to help his family?  Shouldn t that be a starting point or template for another potential tragic situation?

Not to get political, should there be a difference when identifying causes of dearh - "with Covid 19" or "because of Covid 19".

On 7/10/2020 at 8:55 AM, bucsfan333 said:

To whom it may concern: 
With the start of the 2020 NFL season fast approaching, many thoughts and questions roam my mind as I’m sure it does for many of my fellow “coworkers” across the league. The unfortunate events of the COVID-19 pandemic have put a halt to a lot of things. Football is not one. To continue discussing the many UNKNOWNS do not give me the comfort. Risking my health as well as my family’s health does not seem like a risk worth taking. With my first child due in 3 weeks, I can’t help but think about how will I be able to go to work and take proper precautions around 80+ people everyday to then go home to be with my newborn daughter. How can a sport that requires physical contact on every snap and transferral of all types of bodily fluid EVERY SINGLE PLAY practice safe social distancing? How can I make sure that I don’t bring COVID-19 back to my household? Yes, we can get tested everyday, but if it takes 24 hours to get my results, how can I know each day that I am not spreading this virus or contracting it? The reoccurring issue here is how? There are too many “hows” that have yet to be answered to ease player concerns and ensure the safety of not only myself, but also my family. I just can’t imagine how the game will be the same during these unprecedented times. Now to hear that 35% of my paycheck may be withheld while we are out sacrificing our health and wellness for the joy and entertainment of everyone else who will be safe at home in front of their TVs? Something isn’t right here. That should at LEAST warrant a pay raise due to the risk, not a cut. I am not a lab rat or guinea pig to test theories on. I am a man, a son, brother, soon to be father, and I deserve to be safe at work.

God, stop acting like it's so life threatening. Pretty pathetic of Donovan Smith if you ask me. 

7 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

God, stop acting like it's so life threatening. Pretty pathetic of Donovan Smith if you ask me. 

I'm not going to fault him one bit for being concerned and/or sitting out if he so chooses. Don't think anyone should either. He's right; it's an entertainment form, not an  essential business/society need.

We have no idea what family dynamic he has, what kind of underlying health/family history issues and co-morbidities he may be dealing with. This virus is still in it's infancy stage as far as what we actually no about the long-term effects it will have if contracted and you recover, let alone knowing that it can be fatal...

As someone who's wife is a nurse and was pulled to the ICU floor to treat COVID patients during the height, in my job where I see daily COVID-19 work injury/death claims and as someone who has had a family member who contracted it and spent 21 days on a ventilator and dialysis treatment and still isn't fully recovered almost 90 days after being released; I can assure you it is a life threatening issue to many...

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 9:55 AM, bucsfan333 said:

To whom it may concern: 
With the start of the 2020 NFL season fast approaching, many thoughts and questions roam my mind as I’m sure it does for many of my fellow “coworkers” across the league. The unfortunate events of the COVID-19 pandemic have put a halt to a lot of things. Football is not one. To continue discussing the many UNKNOWNS do not give me the comfort. Risking my health as well as my family’s health does not seem like a risk worth taking. With my first child due in 3 weeks, I can’t help but think about how will I be able to go to work and take proper precautions around 80+ people everyday to then go home to be with my newborn daughter. How can a sport that requires physical contact on every snap and transferral of all types of bodily fluid EVERY SINGLE PLAY practice safe social distancing? How can I make sure that I don’t bring COVID-19 back to my household? Yes, we can get tested everyday, but if it takes 24 hours to get my results, how can I know each day that I am not spreading this virus or contracting it? The reoccurring issue here is how? There are too many “hows” that have yet to be answered to ease player concerns and ensure the safety of not only myself, but also my family. I just can’t imagine how the game will be the same during these unprecedented times. Now to hear that 35% of my paycheck may be withheld while we are out sacrificing our health and wellness for the joy and entertainment of everyone else who will be safe at home in front of their TVs? Something isn’t right here. That should at LEAST warrant a pay raise due to the risk, not a cut. I am not a lab rat or guinea pig to test theories on. I am a man, a son, brother, soon to be father, and I deserve to be safe at work.

The feeling that he is feeling is the same feeling that healthcare workers have been experiencing since this thing began. But unlike his fears...ours have been lived out. We have constant exposure. We risk bringing it home every day to our families. Many of us have taken paycuts to assume all this risk. But unlikely the players...most of us have never been tested. And many are fearful of getting tested because few employers are paying for healthcare workers to be in quarantine. Most of us lose our years worth vacation or take unpaid leave of absence.  

And unlike the NFL players, there is no offseason...this is our daily lives until this pandemic ends.

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1