Teams whose Super Bowl window is open and closing/closed

Championshiporbust

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Oh I don’t disagree that you still have a good squad...but did you just say “our window is open until we have to pay all of these guys and for most of them that’s after 2020”?

Wouldn't that quite literally agree the “closing” tag is correct? Closing in this context means that it’s open now but will be coming to an end sooner rather than later (in the next couple of seasons) 

I would agree with closing yes, but not that it's closing because of BoB if anything it's expanded cause of BoB cause he FINALLY gave up on OC duties, replaced Crennel and made our offense truly some college-style air raid stuff with probably no run game (which plays to Deshaun's strengths). I just disagreed with it closing cause of BoB, I think it can remain open though, that just depends on rookies and young players, it's an if but not a big if (also depends on cap space which seems fine now, just have to hope the DW contract works out)

Just now, Drained said:

I would agree with closing yes, but not that it's closing because of BoB if anything it's expanded cause of BoB cause he FINALLY gave up on OC duties, replaced Crennel and made our offense truly some college-style air raid stuff with probably no run game (which plays to Deshaun's strengths). I just disagreed with it closing cause of BoB, I think it can remain open though, that just depends on rookies and young players, it's an if but not a big if (also depends on cap space which seems fine now, just have to hope the DW contract works out)

I think retooling that defense in the next 2 offseasons is crucial in keeping that window open IMO. Watson is always going to have that offense at above a league-average level, he’s just that kind of QB. He’ll find ways to put up points even if it’s him and 10 MAC players around him...I think getting a blue-chip defensive player or two or at least some proven pro-bowl level guys to take the mantle from JJ could go a long way...problem is with the latter they often don’t hit the market too frequently...do you guys have a 1st next year? Can’t remember if next year’s pick was in the Tunsil trade or not

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I think retooling that defense in the next 2 offseasons is crucial in keeping that window open IMO. Watson is always going to have that offense at above a league-average level, he’s just that kind of QB. He’ll find ways to put up points even if it’s him and 10 MAC players around him...I think getting a blue-chip defensive player or two or at least some proven pro-bowl level guys to take the mantle from JJ could go a long way...problem is with the latter they often don’t hit the market too frequently...do you guys have a 1st next year? Can’t remember if next year’s pick was in the Tunsil trade or not

Nah no first round pick next year and I believe we don't have a second that year either. We failed to sign a good defensive blue-chip player in the FA (we were close on Chris Harris but KJax told him to not sign with us + it was at the same time as the Hopkins trade, bad look on our part) and we won't have time to sign one this free agency. The Texans right now are relying on our new DC being good which I think he will and our rookies and younger players to step up, the younger players like Martin, Omeihu, Johnson Jr. who have shown last year sparks of greatness (especially Martin, he was awesome last year) I am more sure on, the rookies, yeah I don't know, looking at the tapes they seem good, Grennard (our third round pick) recorded 10 sacks and 16 TFL in the SEC last year but he has a lot to work on.

If we get some of those players that I mentioned hitting FA for a bit cheaper than I expected then we're very lucky but I doubt it, especially with BoB's track record of giving Eric Murray and Randll Cobb 20 million dollar contracts smh.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1

I have a belief that if you've been to a SuperBowl recently (same core) and you get back into the playoffs, you're still in your window. Having the experience and only having to win a few games, it's a reality. (Philly, SF, Sea)

For that reason, the Rams window is still open. Last year was a missed FG away from the WC spot with bottom 5 O-line in the league and toughest division in NFL.

If they get back in next year with 7 spots, they're contenders. 

• Like 1

Saints window is getting smaller and smaller. Without Drew, I am not sure what they are. 

Obviously the Raven's window just flew open, but thats a casement window with a weak hinge that could blow shut in an instant

Tampa's window is both opening and closing all at once

The Ram's window is closing if Goff can't prove to be more than a flash in the pan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

The schedule is much tougher too this year as compared to last....We just scraped by Washington and Detroit twice....Being 13-3 last season also means teams will be looking to give us their best shot....This is not unusual, especially from teams in our division...

No question as to what LaFleur is looking to achieve....When it comes to grooming AR replacement, will Love be the answer?.....Lamar Jackson looks to be what shaping up to be the prototypical modern day NFL quarterback....Does Love fit this type?....Have to see what the future holds...

Cousins did show promise at times last year, but look at Chicago and Detroit....Is Stafford's injury going to have long term ramifications?....What is Chicago going to do with Trubisky?.....

This is an opinion that will be in the minority, but I've been saying all offseason that 'da Bears are going to win the NFC North this year.  As you said, the Packers overachieved last year and are going into a transition with the new LaFleur offense.  The Vikings have a lot of young players, and I'm starting to doubt Mike Zimmer's ability to get us all the way.  The Lions have a way to go, and Stafford's injury is pretty scary.  As for the Bears, Trubisky is a bust.  The sooner their front office admits their mistake and moves on, the better it will be for them.  It's hard to say which version of Foles they will get, but with that beastly defense of theirs, I don't think he has to be anything too great to lead them to wins.  I think they will be on top this year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Saints window is getting smaller and smaller. Without Drew, I am not sure what they are.

Big question mark for sure. But if Jameis can fix a few issues he will have a ton of weapons to work with. Saints really kind of need just above average play to get going. Teddy was a prime example of that. Jameis can at least give them that.

• 2 weeks later...