PFF says Terry McClaurin Is the best WR in the NFCE

turtle28

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We don’t control what is posted in the NFL Gen & in your forum. It’s been discussed here as well and as you can see it’s not like everyone agrees with PFF on this.

Actually when it's Redskins fans, yeah you kinda do. It seems like you guys touting McLaurin's PFF is a weekly thing in the NFC East thread by one Redskins fan or another.

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Careful...tread very lightly here 

It was a joke, basically just a shot back at an eagles fan that acts like we’re the only one with problems. Kinda like, take care of your own house before you tell me to take care of mine.

• Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

It was a joke, basically just a shot back at an eagles fan that acts like we’re the only one with problems. Kinda like, take care of your own house before you tell me to take care of mine.

I get it. And I knew what you were doing. But I have to do my job, bud.

• Like 1

I get that the WR position is ever-evolving, and that speed is very important in the NFL today.  However, if a WR struggles with their hands, I have a hard time ranking them at the top of the heap unless they are like Terrell Owens and you hear stories about the work they are putting in to improve it.  

I haven't heard any of those stories about Cooper working to improve himself in that way, and I have to say McLaurin edges him out there.  But just because I always fear a sophomore slump from players, I don't think I can unseat Cooper just yet.  If McLaurin builds on last season though, he's the best. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Danger said:

Actually when it's Redskins fans, yeah you kinda do. It seems like you guys touting McLaurin's PFF is a weekly thing in the NFC East thread by one Redskins fan or another.

Well for one, as Thai said there’s not much to talk about outside of the name change stuff bc of COVID. And, I post all news I find about the Redskins, good or bad and have since 07, so that’s nothing new.

He certainly can be the best receiver in the NFCE after this next season. He is going to need help from other players on the offense though to free him up. Because until Gibson or Harmon or someone can establish themselves as a legitimate threat, defenses will key on McLaurin and he will only be able to be successful against weaker defenses.

Also keep in mind that we will be using a whole new offensive scheme this year. So there is no guarantee that McLaurin thrives in this scheme. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:53 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

But just because I always fear a sophomore slump from players

3 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Because until Gibson or Harmon or someone can establish themselves as a legitimate threat, defenses will key on McLaurin

It’s the combination of these two things that give me pause in predicting too much success for McLaurin this season. 

To me, the “sophomore slump” is mostly about defenses (and defenders) adjusting. They have a season’s worth of film on you, and a whole offseason to dissect it. They’re going to come up with ways to take away what you like to do most, and the challenge becomes for you to adjust back — to diversify and find other ways to succeed in response to the changes in how they defend you. Lots of guys can’t manage that. 

McLaurin is smart, he’s technical, and he works his tail off, so I think he’s better suited than most young WRs to adjust to different defensive looks. 

But the problem is, he’s pretty much the only game in town and everybody knows it. When recent UDFA slot receiver Steven Sims is pretty clearly your number two option in the passing game, the top guy is going to get a lot of attention. And that’s going to make things even tougher on McLaurin. I expect he’ll see coverage rolled his way pretty frequently, with the idea of basically just taking him away and forcing Haskins to look elsewhere (at the lackluster secondary options he’s got to work with). 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Terry as much as we all do. But the secret is out, and it’s going to be an uphill climb for him in year two. It’ll be a lot of fun to see how handles it. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, Umbaugh21 said:

He certainly can be the best receiver in the NFCE after this next season. He is going to need help from other players on the offense though to free him up. Because until Gibson or Harmon or someone can establish themselves as a legitimate threat, defenses will key on McLaurin and he will only be able to be successful against weaker defenses.

Also keep in mind that we will be using a whole new offensive scheme this year. So there is no guarantee that McLaurin thrives in this scheme. 

He didn’t have a 2nd threat last year until Sims came on late and he dominated bc he was getting most of the targets. This could be a Pierre Garçon type situation from 2013 where he had 113 recs, 1346 yards bc outside of Reed for half the year, we didn’t have a good #2 option and RG3/Kirk threw to Garçon almost every down. 

I would expect that Terry would have more TDs then Garçon though, Garçon was never a great TD maker bc for some reason he wasn’t good at high pointing balls, so throwing it up to him high over the middle or a fade was rarely a completion. I never understood why Garçon was awful at that, but he was, he just never had good timing while in the air I guess, that's my only explanation for it.

Edited by turtle28

20 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s the combination of these two things that give me pause in predicting too much success for McLaurin this season. 

To me, the “sophomore slump” is mostly about defenses (and defenders) adjusting. They have a season’s worth of film on you, and a whole offseason to dissect it. They’re going to come up with ways to take away what you like to do most, and the challenge becomes for you to adjust back — to diversify and find other ways to succeed in response to the changes in how they defend you. Lots of guys can’t manage that. 

McLaurin is smart, he’s technical, and he works his tail off, so I think he’s better suited than most young WRs to adjust to different defensive looks. 

But the problem is, he’s pretty much the only game in town and everybody knows it. When recent UDFA slot receiver Steven Sims is pretty clearly your number two option in the passing game, the top guy is going to get a lot of attention. And that’s going to make things even tougher on McLaurin. I expect he’ll see coverage rolled his way pretty frequently, with the idea of basically just taking him away and forcing Haskins to look elsewhere (at the lackluster secondary options he’s got to work with). 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Terry as much as we all do. But the secret is out, and it’s going to be an uphill climb for him in year two. It’ll be a lot of fun to see how handles it. 

That happened last year and he got 919 yards & did have 7 TDs in 14 games played and that was w/ an erratic/inexperienced young Haskins who barely knew the offense and an erratic Keenum throwing to him. I can't help but remember vs the Eagles when Keenum missed a wide open Terry for a 2nd long TD reception or Haskins missing Terry a multiple times when he was open vs the NYG, Minn, NYJ, Buff and Det when Haskins was very raw in the offense and still getting comfortable.

Terry was in the same position he's in this year that he was in last year. After the first half of week 1, teams knew he was our #1 and only true reliable weapon so, the focus was on him all year after the first half of week 1.

W/ better QB play last year he gets 5-10 more recs for 100-150 more yards and a few more TDs w/o playing all 16 games for a total of 65-70 recs, 1000 plus yards & 8-10 TDs 

Edited by turtle28

21 hours ago, e16bball said:

Great post.  

What concerns me even more is that, without in-person workouts, opposing coaches will have a lot of time to dissect film on a younger player like McLaurin.  It might be a real struggle out of the gate with that, and learning a new offense, and it might be too much to recover from with everything else going on.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Great post.  

What concerns me even more is that, without in-person workouts, opposing coaches will have a lot of time to dissect film on a younger player like McLaurin.  It might be a real struggle out of the gate with that, and learning a new offense, and it might be too much to recover from with everything else going on.  

They can’t double Terry every play. He’s an elite route runner. When he gets singled up short to intermediate, he will get open bc of his route running and make plays as he did last year as our really only reliable weapon. 

Also, you can always manufacture ways to get him the ball on screens, quick passes down the line of scrimmage, quick slants and quick outs of the corners play off. He, like Steven Sims, is great after the catch so, just get the ball in the hands and let them get 10 yards after a quick pass or more if they break the tackle. If you do that enough it makes the safeties creep up and then you hit him deep off of playaction.

Edited by turtle28