Adam Gase

Carmen Cygni

Adam Gase  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's you take on Adam Gase?

What's you take? Is he the real deal, a fraud, or does he fit somewhere in between?

Personally, I find Gase to be nothing more than a glorified OC and somewhat of a fraud at the head coaching position. He treats the team like a fantasy football roster with a sole focus on offensive weapons, while ignoring the offensive line and complete disregard to the defense. 

Here are a few comments that support that notion:

He is a guy with a lot of passion. He is very fired up, especially on the offensive side. We’re the stepchildren on defense. But don’t tell him I said that." - Cameron Wake, 2016

The defensive guys know I want the offense to be stronger than what we've been [dating to the end of last season],” Gase said. “I feel I owe that to them. I feel I haven’t come through for them yet. That's sometimes where a lot of frustration comes from on Monday because our offensive side, which I’m in charge of, isn't performing to the team's expectations.” - Adam Gase, 2017.

No Gase, you're not in charge of the offense, you're the goddamn head coach and are in charge of the entire team. I don't trust any HC who doesn't have a hand in all 3 units of the team. This is now the second year that Gase has had no interest in the defensive side of the ball. Last year he left it up to Vance Joseph and that was somewhat understandabe being that he was new to the head coaching position and had a lot on his plate. This year is no excuse and yet he maintains that distance from the defense and has left it up to first year, and unqualified, DC Matt Burke. That's unacceptable. He truly does treat the defense like neglected stepchildren. Not to mention he leaves certain situational calls and special teams to Darren Rizzi. 

Another issue to be addressed is his over usage of constraint plays. In particular, the screen. Constraint plays should not be apart of the gameplan and only called when a defense cheats. His constant use of smoke and tunnel screens as a supposed extension of the run game is poor coaching. These screens should only be used when the DBs are playing off coverage, you ideally have the fieldside to work with, and are forcing them to tackle in space. Or when you are able to execute a mutiple play drive and notice the DBs are sucking wind. I understand that at times they are also used to relieve pressure off the offensive line from the pass rush, but he calls them, unsuccessfully, on a much too frequent basis. 

Last but not least is this "QB guru" label that has surprisingly been slapped on Gase. He has helped QBs thru scheme, but fact is he has yet to develop any young talent at the position (And no, a current baseball player certainly does not qualify) and has had to rely on veteran players to get the job done. Tannehill, for as much as a I like his play, isn't a sure thing to fully recover and the Dolphins willingly coaxed an aging and inconsistent QB coming off of season-ending shoulder surgery to come out of retirement. So, why is Moore there if there isn't confidence that he can carry the team as a long term starter? And with that said, why isn't there any young QB talent being developed in Miami right now?

Those are just a few of the qualms I have with Gase as a HC. I'll certainly give him credit for being a player's coach and his motivational abilities, but outside of that and the apparent offensive coordinator skills, I don't see a true NFL head coach with a successful future unless he can show that he can coach and command the entire team. 

I have a high opinion of Gase. He did some good things in his first year as HC and shattered expectations. Obviously the Jets game was not good but he's a smart guy who I think will turn it around. I'm pretty confident you're off on pretty much everything you said about him lol.

For the record, there are other HCs who are simply offensive minds and typically leave the defense to the defensvie minds... Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, and Jason Garrett have been successful with this methodology.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I have a high opinion of Gase. He did some good things in his first year as HC and shattered expectations. Obviously the Jets game was not good but he's a smart guy who I think will turn it around. I'm pretty confident you're off on pretty much everything you said about him lol.

For the record, there are other HCs who are simply offensive minds and typically leave the defense to the defensive minds... Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, and Jason Garrett have been successful with this methodology.

Alright, let's take those three and go from there.

The biggest knock on Sean Payton is that he only pays attention to the offense and the Saints overall success has suffered because of it. In 10 complete coaching years, only half of which have produced a winning season (and outside their lone SB title when the defense created an incredible amount of postseason takeaways), he has only 2 postseason wins. Also of note, the Saints 4 losing seasons (and now 3 consecutive) have come at the hands of their defense being ranked in points against #31, #28, #32, and #31 respectively. There's a pattern there. 

Mike McCarthy is the exception to the rule here in being he has had the obvious benefit of having both Favre and Rodgers (2 of the greater QBs to have ever played), but ironically the only title he was won came when the Packers defense was #2 in points against. 

Jason Garret doesn't belong in this conversation, IMO. In his 7 complete coaching years has only had 2 winning seasons and only a single postseason win. 

I am not able to agree with your definition of success in relation to HCs who are hands off on the defensive side of the ball. Unless you possess the exception of having one of the greats at the QB position, overall success is very limited for HCs who are solely offensively minded. An offense can carry a team thru the regular season but defense wins championships.

11 hours ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Another issue to be addressed is his over usage of constraint plays. In particular, the screen. Constraint plays should not be apart of the gameplan and only called when a defense cheats. His constant use of smoke and tunnel screens as a supposed extension of the run game is poor coaching. These screens should only be used when the DBs are playing off coverage, you ideally have the fieldside to work with, and are forcing them to tackle in space. Or when you are able to execute a mutiple play drive and notice the DBs are sucking wind. I understand that at times they are also used to relieve pressure off the offensive line from the pass rush, but he calls them, unsuccessfully, on a much too frequent basis. 

This is my biggest knock thus far this season.

However, I'm not willing to walk back the optimism Gase instilled in me over the last 10 or so games of 2016. Have the first two games trended the wrong way? Yes. Will I be observing to see how the team responds and what offensive / defensive adjustments are implemented over the next several games? Absolutely. But I'm not ready to label him as just another failed OC who is in over his head. Not even close. Not given the contextual circumstances.

52 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

So who in your mind is a good head coach?

Because unless your answer is only Bill Belichick, there are knocks you can find with literally every head coach in the league, most of which worse than those three.

Beyond the obvious of Belichick being in my top 5: Pete Carroll, , Mike Tomlin, Dan Quinn, and Andy Reid even despite his postseason failures. And I do believe Mike McCarthy is a very good HC in lieu of having two great QBs. John Harbaugh is pretty damn good as well. 

I really wanted Dan Quinn for the Dolphins HC before Ross fumbled and extended Philbin. 

I am still very high on Gase and give him a bit of a break on the first 2 games played and even this weeks game in London. Miami had 4 starters season's ended before the first game and another starter go awol before the first game. They have had to deal with disrupted personal and professonal lives with the hurricane and it's aftermath and a trip to London. I think things will start to feel more like a normal season and the focus will get better starting this week. if Miami can manage a win this week and 2 and 1 with all that  will consider it a very good start. They always lay an egg against the Jets every now and then just like they did in London 2 years ago.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, Carmen Cygni said:

Beyond the obvious of Belichick being in my top 5: Pete Carroll, , Mike Tomlin, Dan Quinn, and Andy Reid even despite his postseason failures. And I do believe Mike McCarthy is a very good HC in lieu of having two great QBs. John Harbaugh is pretty damn good as well. 

I really wanted Dan Quinn for the Dolphins HC before Ross fumbled and extended Philbin. 

Tomlin is the only one that is a true CEO. The others are HCs that specialize in their area of expertise ie. Reid with his offensive scheme while leaving the defense to the DC to handle.

On 9/30/2017 at 6:17 PM, Xenos said:

Tomlin is the only one that is a true CEO. The others are HCs that specialize in their area of expertise ie. Reid with his offensive scheme while leaving the defense to the DC to handle.

Every HC has a specialty but not a single one of those HC's is completely hands off on a particular unit like Gase is with the Dolphin's defense. Also, the only true "CEO" name on that list is Belichick. 

My sentiments remain the same on Gase. I think he's a fraud at HC. I thought it at the beginning of last year to start 1-4 and felt the win streak was somewhat of a fluke. Lucky and I'll take it, but a fluke. Gase is being exposed left and right for coaching and personnel decisions in both the offseasons and gamedays. 

1 hour ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Every HC has a specialty but not a single one of those HC's is completely hands off on a particular unit like Gase is with the Dolphin's defense. Also, the only true "CEO" name on that list is Belichick. 

My sentiments remain the same on Gase. I think he's a fraud at HC. I thought it at the beginning of last year to start 1-4 and felt the win streak was somewhat of a fluke. Lucky and I'll take it, but a fluke. Gase is being exposed left and right for coaching and personnel decisions in both the offseasons and gamedays. 

I was only paying attention to the ones you listed after the colon. But yes. Belichick is a CEO. However, it took him time to get there. He was a defensive guru and was not as involved in the offense earlier. And you don't know for certain that Gase is as hands off with the Dolphin's defense based on just random quotes taken out of context. At least he's no more hands off than McCarthy, Carroll, and Reid. For example, I'm sure Carroll is getting a lot of grief for how the offense is performing right now. Which makes sense since defense is his specialty.

26 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I was only paying attention to the ones you listed after the colon. But yes. Belichick is a CEO. However, it took him time to get there. He was a defensive guru and was not as involved in the offense earlier. And you don't know for certain that Gase is as hands off with the Dolphin's defense based on just random quotes taken out of context. At least he's no more hands off than McCarthy, Carroll, and Reid. For example, I'm sure Carroll is getting a lot of grief for how the offense is performing right now. Which makes sense since defense is his specialty.

They are not taken out of context. You don't see such comments made by or about other competent coaches. 

Coach Adam Gase, asked Wednesday why Joseph was ready to become a head coach, said: “Well, he's done a great job with our players. I can speak to that first-hand. He took so much off my plate where I never had to worry about anything with the defense. He really did a great job with all of those guys in the room. He did a great job directing those guys. And he made my life a lot easier than probably what it could have been.

“There was a big trust factor there with me. Once he was hired, I knew that side of the ball was good to go. I was able to focus on what I was able to do, with some of the things we wanted to change between [team executives] Chris [Grier], Mike [Tannenbaum] and myself. And being able to focus on the offense. That was really the one thing that I loved about being able to get him into the building was I knew he was going to be able to handle that side of the ball. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article125909499.html

I'm aware that other HC's have offensive/defensive/special teams specialties, but they are still in charge of all 3 units. Gase is a one track mind. 

I like Gase.  There's a very real possibility that this dud team has more to do with the lack of talent than anything else.  After all, Cutler's interceptions killed what should have been a decent day offensively.  Gase can't actually throw the passes for the guy you know.

I was against signing Cutler because if there wasn't enough talent in place for Moore to win 7 or 8 games, we need to be picking high in the draft anyway.  I want us to go after a franchise QB next go round.  And hopefully we can do it with a top ten pick.

This crap about winning an extra "meaningless" three games is for the birds.  I'd rather go 4-12 than 7-9.  Overall out talent is subpar IMO, and getting a top notch QB is the best way for us to begin to correct the talent situation.

The guys I'm not sold on are our GM Grier and executive vice president, or whatever stupid title Tannenbaum holds.

On 10/4/2017 at 6:34 AM, Deadeye said:

I like Gase.  There's a very real possibility that this dud team has more to do with the lack of talent than anything else.  After all, Cutler's interceptions killed what should have been a decent day offensively.  Gase can't actually throw the passes for the guy you know.

I was against signing Cutler because if there wasn't enough talent in place for Moore to win 7 or 8 games, we need to be picking high in the draft anyway.  I want us to go after a franchise QB next go round.  And hopefully we can do it with a top ten pick.

This crap about winning an extra "meaningless" three games is for the birds.  I'd rather go 4-12 than 7-9.  Overall out talent is subpar IMO, and getting a top notch QB is the best way for us to begin to correct the talent situation.

The guys I'm not sold on are our GM Grier and executive vice president, or whatever stupid title Tannenbaum holds.

Gase is in charge of the talent as he has say of the final roster, and he's most certainly accountable for advocating and handpicking Cutler. 

That said, every NFL roster has talent to win, the difference come down to coaching. 

Archived