Adam Gase

Carmen Cygni

Adam Gase  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's you take on Adam Gase?

Take this from an outsider:

1.  Gase is a HC with personnel final say.  So how has the 2016 draft looked with his say on who's been taken?

2016 - Rd 1 Tunsil, Rd 2 Howard, Rd 3 Drake & Carroo, Rd 6-7 Jakeem Grant, Jordan Lucas, Brandon Daughty & Thomas Duarte.   Tunsil's been meh at T, but he was awesome as your LG...so he's a fixture on your OL.   Howard is emerging as a shutdown CB, and Drake's been an absolute revelation.   Carroo is the only Day 2 whiff.    Getting ST and 4th WR contributions from Grant and some secondary depth in Lucas.   Really, this is turning out to be an A+ draft.

2017 - Rd 1 Charles Harris, Rd 2 Raekwon McMillan, Rd3 Cordrea Tankersley, Rd5 Isaac Asiata & Davon Godchaux Rd6-7 Vincent Taylor & Isiaih Ford.   Harris has been slower than other late round EDGE guys to develop, but he's come on of late, and starting to show well. Still, guys like TJ Watt could have been taken.   McMillan season-ending injury, but could fill a huge need for MIA's LB corps.  Tankersley's been having the typical CB growing pains as a rookie, but that's expected.   Asiata was raw and needs more time, not surprising for a Day 3 pick.   Godchaux has been a very pleasant surprise.

2017 is hard to judge, as you expect a year 2 impact for most everyone outside your 1st rounder - but 2016's fantastic.  And nothing suggests any outright busts in Days 1-2 yet other than Carroo.   The Day 3 returns are more depth as an expectation in years 1-2.

2.  What major personnel decisions did Gase make?

The signature decision was to part ways with Jay Ajayi - and frankly, while it raised eyebrows when it happened, Gase was completely justified.  You guys look more dangerous with Kenyan Drake as your lead RB.   Again, full marks to Gase there.

I think the Julius Thomas - Brandon Albert trade was a dud..for everyone involved.  It's too bad, if they could have found a way to keep Albert motivated to play, having Albert-Tunsil as the LT-LG combo would have kept that O chugging a lot more than Tunsil-warm body at LG after the injury to Steen.

3.  Has he shown any particular weaknesses in the HC gig?

I don't know that I've seen any glaring weaknesses, but I'll admit I'm an outsider.   I've seen maybe 5-6 of the MIA games - obviously the DEN & NE#2 games were huge highlights.    I can't help but be impressed at what he's done with a motley OL, no great QB, and major injuries to the D with a secondary that was all rookies/2nd-year guys playing the major roles for CB.  

4.  What's their future look like?

Well, Raekwon McMillan and Stephone Anthony hopefully upgrade DL, their green secondary is now better and should improve even more next year.    Get more OL help, and man, this isn't a team far away from making a leap.   Give Gase a real QB, or at least the one who they planned on being there instead of Smokin' Jay, and see what happens.

I dunno, it could be worse - you could have Vance Joseph as your HC.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:40 PM, Broncofan said:

Take this from an outsider:

1.  Gase is a HC with personnel final say.  So how has the 2016 draft looked with his say on who's been taken?

2016 - Rd 1 Tunsil, Rd 2 Howard, Rd 3 Drake & Carroo, Rd 6-7 Jakeem Grant, Jordan Lucas, Brandon Daughty & Thomas Duarte.   Tunsil's been meh at T, but he was awesome as your LG...so he's a fixture on your OL.   Howard is emerging as a shutdown CB, and Drake's been an absolute revelation.   Carroo is the only Day 2 whiff.    Getting ST and 4th WR contributions from Grant and some secondary depth in Lucas.   Really, this is turning out to be an A+ draft.

Lot of fluff and sugar coating here.

Tunsil hasn't shown anywhere near the potential that was suspected as a top pick. He's struggled at both guard and tackle positions. Though, the Dolphins screwed him over by making him play essentially two rookie years given the position switch.

Howard has shown flashes and one complete game (vs NE's Cook) but is no where near a shutdown CB.

Drake a revelation? Eh. He's a young Lamar Miller, whom I like, but lacks Miller's ability to set up the second level and bounces too many runs outside.

Caroo was a ******* debacle. Trading up and throwing away three draft picks was truly a Tannenbaum special. What a waste of resources.

Grant has been better utilized as of late.

Lucas is a non-factor. He's etched a mere 20 snaps all year long thus far.

Yes, we could have a worse situation overall at head coach, but on the other hand, we're again stuck in HC purgatory with someone who will stick around because of perceived potential only to drag us through the muck & mire of mediocrity. The only way Gase succeeds is if he overhauls the defense, but considering he has hitched his wagon to Burke, it's more likely he hangs on until the wheels fall off. Which hopefully is sooner than later so we can get this thing back on the right track.

As I have stated before I give Gase a bit of a break on this season because of all that went on out of his control and I do think he did a good ( not great ) job of keeping the team focused and on track. The lack of perceived fire in him on the sideline bothers me some, if mental mistakes on the field are a big problem as I continue to hear from the coach and players I would like to see a  more in your face fired up coach during those games when Miami plays like a high school team.

My favorite coach in the league is Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh, he seems like a players coach but at the same time calls a player out when that player is failing at his  job and everyone knows he is. I would once like to see Gase get in Parkers face or Cutlers or an O-linemans face when they are coming off of the field after a miserable failed attempt at what they were supposed to do and challenge them in front of everyone to start getting the  job done.  The only reason I can think that he my not do this is if he deep down feels like he is not getting his job done and does not want the finger pointed back at him which means to me that there would be leadership issues in him.

All the great coaches that I can think of get fired up on the sidelines at times and chew a player or assistant coach out  but still have the total respect of his players but I just do not see that fire in Gase. I like most of what the organization has done player wise the last 2 seasons and will give Tannehill and Gase one more season to prove to me that they are the answer for the future.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:16 AM, Carmen Cygni said:

Lot of fluff and sugar coating here.

Tunsil hasn't shown anywhere near the potential that was suspected as a top pick. He's struggled at both guard and tackle positions. Though, the Dolphins screwed him over by making him play essentially two rookie years given the position switch.

Howard has shown flashes and one complete game (vs NE's Cook) but is no where near a shutdown CB.

Drake a revelation? Eh. He's a young Lamar Miller, whom I like, but lacks Miller's ability to set up the second level and bounces too many runs outside.

Caroo was a ******* debacle. Trading up and throwing away three draft picks was truly a Tannenbaum special. What a waste of resources.

Grant has been better utilized as of late.

Lucas is a non-factor. He's etched a mere 20 snaps all year long thus far.

Yes, we could have a worse situation overall at head coach, but on the other hand, we're again stuck in HC purgatory with someone who will stick around because of perceived potential only to drag us through the muck & mire of mediocrity. The only way Gase succeeds is if he overhauls the defense, but considering he has hitched his wagon to Burke, it's more likely he hangs on until the wheels fall off. Which hopefully is sooner than later so we can get this thing back on the right track.

I thought Tunsil had a solid rookie year at OG.  He certainly had troubles this year until Larsen finally got on the field and then the whole OLine looked better.

Howard has had his ups and downs this season but overall showed solid progress in the right direction IMO.  He’s been better than I anticipated when we drafted him last year in round 2.

Im a U of Miami fan and I’ll admit that I would take Drake over Miller without issue.  Miller has speed and is a homer run threat, but so is Drake and he shows much more quickness and explosion than Miller.

As for Caroo, Grant, and Lucas......I totally agree.

Gase is cocky which as a coach or a player isn't all bad. I think you have to have some of that in your DNA to be a good coach or player BUT he is teetering on an unacceptable level. I mean the entire world could see that Cutler has been a train wreck yet he refused to place any blame on him saying stuff like its more than the QB and blah blah blah, yeah we know that BUT the QB is a major part of a teams success or failure and it start with him. Therefor he shoulders most of the responsibility like it or not.

Then he trade Jay for the NFL equivalent of a bag of chips because he's upset.  Coaches always preach to players about not letting their emotions get the best of them but I guess that doesn't apply to the coach. I understand setting a standard and culture but you can't let emotions take over and he does at times, they should have gotten no less than a 3rd.

Lastly he is loyal to a fault, this Cutler situation I knew was a bad idea his career told us that. Yet he sold us the he knows the system garbage to make us feel better I guess yet I see the guy wearing a wrist coach, newsflash if you know the system you dont need that crap. Then during a press conference is says Jay's still getting use to the system which is just another excuse.

I like Gase but he's got somethings he needs to work on himself in the offseason, one getting his emotions in check, two his freaking play calling, three call a spade a spade if a guy isn't good or isn't playing well just admit it, not even to us but to himself and act accordingly. Lastly be more committed to the run, our record speaks for itself when we run the Ball so do everything in his power to make sure we have a healthy dose of runs

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:27 AM, Daryl said:

Gase is cocky which as a coach or a player isn't all bad. I think you have to have some of that in your DNA to be a good coach or player BUT he is teetering on an unacceptable level. I mean the entire world could see that Cutler has been a train wreck yet he refused to place any blame on him saying stuff like its more than the QB and blah blah blah, yeah we know that BUT the QB is a major part of a teams success or failure and it start with him. Therefor he shoulders most of the responsibility like it or not.

Then he trade Jay for the NFL equivalent of a bag of chips because he's upset.  Coaches always preach to players about not letting their emotions get the best of them but I guess that doesn't apply to the coach. I understand setting a standard and culture but you can't let emotions take over and he does at times, they should have gotten no less than a 3rd.

Lastly he is loyal to a fault, this Cutler situation I knew was a bad idea his career told us that. Yet he sold us the he knows the system garbage to make us feel better I guess yet I see the guy wearing a wrist coach, newsflash if you know the system you dont need that crap. Then during a press conference is says Jay's still getting use to the system which is just another excuse.

I like Gase but he's got somethings he needs to work on himself in the offseason, one getting his emotions in check, two his freaking play calling, three call a spade a spade if a guy isn't good or isn't playing well just admit it, not even to us but to himself and act accordingly. Lastly be more committed to the run, our record speaks for itself when we run the Ball so do everything in his power to make sure we have a healthy dose of runs

The Dolphins aren't going to be running team. Period. Gase likes the offense that the Patriots use. That is where the Dolphins are heading. Lots of screens, short passes to RB's and TE's, and occasional runs to keep the defense honest. Runs will be to the outside where our smaller, speedy RB's like Drake can rip off big chunks of yards.  That is the real reason that Ajayi is no longer on the Phins. He simply doesn't have the speed, or hands, to play RB for the Dolphins of the future. Add to that the he pouted like a baby about it. Drake is a huge upgrade in this offense.

Gase was simply trying to help Cutler keep his confidence. We didn't have any better options at QB. 

I forgot who said it, but the old saying you are what your record says you are is correct and after 2 seasons Gase is a .500 coach with a losing playoff record. This team has average to better then average talent in my opinion, so with that Gase as a coach is not getting any extra out of the talent he has to work with. I am willing to let next season be the deal maker for Gase to show me what season was the fluke his first or his second. 

12 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

The Dolphins aren't going to be running team. Period. Gase likes the offense that the Patriots use. That is where the Dolphins are heading. Lots of screens, short passes to RB's and TE's, and occasional runs to keep the defense honest. Runs will be to the outside where our smaller, speedy RB's like Drake can rip off big chunks of yards.  That is the real reason that Ajayi is no longer on the Phins. He simply doesn't have the speed, or hands, to play RB for the Dolphins of the future. Add to that the he pouted like a baby about it. Drake is a huge upgrade in this offense.

Gase was simply trying to help Cutler keep his confidence. We didn't have any better options at QB. 

That is not correct. Miami was the most unbalanced offense in the NFL with a 36/64 run pass ratio. That's unacceptable, especially with a bum QB like Cutler. New England on the other hand had a typical NFL balance of 42/58. We are nothing like the Patriots; nothing. Patriots' offense is also very efficient and is not a screen heavy offense like Gae calls. Case & point: We had a putrid 5.6 net yards per pass attempt, NE had a 7.1 NY/A.

Our offense also doesn't call for outside runs. Our most common called run play is the Inside Zone. There are 3 reads for RBs on the play (Bang - inside, Bounce - outside, Bend- cutback) and Drake's tendencies since college have always been to bounce runs to the perimeter. That's why it's so often seen.

And I call BS that we didn't have a better QB option than some retired slug coming off season ending shoulder surgery on his throwing arm.

23 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

That is not correct. Miami was the most unbalanced offense in the NFL with a 36/64 run pass ratio. That's unacceptable, especially with a bum QB like Cutler. New England on the other hand had a typical NFL balance of 42/58. We are nothing like the Patriots; nothing. Patriots' offense is also very efficient and is not a screen heavy offense like Gae calls. Case & point: We had a putrid 5.6 net yards per pass attempt, NE had a 7.1 NY/A.

Our offense also doesn't call for outside runs. Our most common called run play is the Inside Zone. There are 3 reads for RBs on the play (Bang - inside, Bounce - outside, Bend- cutback) and Drake's tendencies since college have always been to bounce runs to the perimeter. That's why it's so often seen.

And I call BS that we didn't have a better QB option than some retired slug coming off season ending shoulder surgery on his throwing arm.

One reason Miami was more pass happy is that they played 99% of the season playing catch up. Drake is way ahead of Miller and Ajayi in his role for the offense. I did get to the point of hating the screen passes they were so unproductive it got to be a joke almost. Miami some how needs to figure out how to be productive 15 yards down the middle and a big pass catching tight end will go a long ways in helping that.

1 minute ago, Dolphinmeister said:

One reason Miami was more pass happy is that they played 99% of the season playing catch up. Drake is way ahead of Miller and Ajayi in his role for the offense. I did get to the point of hating the screen passes they were so unproductive it got to be a joke almost. Miami some how needs to figure out how to be productive 15 yards down the middle and a big pass catching tight end will go a long ways in helping that.

Watching Richt call plays in the Orange Bowl reminded me of Gase. Down a single score, he abandoned a previously effective run game, got pass happy, and it cost them the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Ajayi hasn't done well, the workhorse of the Eagles is Blount. Ayayi has contributed little. In fact he still has the drops. Ask the Eagles fans what they think of Ajayi. On another site I visit, they want him released. And for a football person, you fail to give credit to New England. Yes they have a better yards per catch number, they have Gronk in the middle, and a real QB that can make throws over the top of the defense. NE is on their way to winning another super bowl. First you say that a shotgun based offense is garbage, when someone brings up the fact that NE has won 5 super bowls with that garbage offense, you wheel back around and attach another failure of the Dolphins. The point is that a NFL team can be very successful running a shotgun based offense, period. NE runs out of the shotgun frequently. We all know that you hate Gase, and you prefer a drop back passing game, that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't say that something is garbage because you want to make a point.

8 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

Ajayi hasn't done well, the workhorse of the Eagles is Blount. Ayayi has contributed little. In fact he still has the drops. Ask the Eagles fans what they think of Ajayi. On another site I visit, they want him released. And for a football person, you fail to give credit to New England. Yes they have a better yards per catch number, they have Gronk in the middle, and a real QB that can make throws over the top of the defense. NE is on their way to winning another super bowl. First you say that a shotgun based offense is garbage, when someone brings up the fact that NE has won 5 super bowls with that garbage offense, you wheel back around and attach another failure of the Dolphins. The point is that a NFL team can be very successful running a shotgun based offense, period. NE runs out of the shotgun frequently. We all know that you hate Gase, and you prefer a drop back passing game, that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't say that something is garbage because you want to make a point.

I'm not concerned about the opinions of fans. Point was, Ajayi had no problem picking up their playbook mideseason, which was the supposed knock on him down here. Coupled with our severe lack of discipline, being the 2nd most penalized team in the NFL with 137, those issues fall directly on coaching.

NE was the 2nd most balanced offense in terms of snaps under center vs shotgun this year - 49% UC/51% Gun. Miami on the other hand, spent 67% of their time in shotgun. Miami also had the most unbalanced offense in the NFL with a Philbin like 36/64 run to pass ratio.

The only garbage I've been seeing is an inexperienced, overqualified OC masquerading as a HC.

Archived