Packers Mount Rushmore

dwaye50327

On 15/07/2020 at 11:24 AM, vegas492 said:

Woodson was an elite corner when he came here.  Played great here.  Went back to Oakland, was a high end safety.

I feel like White's legacy was secure no matter where he went. Woodson was a very good/great corner who was viewed as injury prone and at the time it was thought Thompson overpaid for him. Woodson's legacy as an NFL great rests on the jump in his level of play when he went to GB. He went from "very good CB" to "DPOY candidate" in GB. 

After mulling this, I feel like you need to have Hutson on it, even though it's somewhat double-dipping with Lambeau; Hutson literally lapped the field when he was playing, doubling or tripling catches, yds, and tds of the #2 guy in most if not all seasons he played; he outgained entire TEAMS through the air (imagine is Julio Jones had 250 catches for 3500 yds, to put modern numbers to what Hutson was doing).

Lambeau goes on, because he essentially founded the team, and won SIX NFL titles. That gets forgotten. He's tied with Belicheck. And as much as you can pro-rate the fact that he didn't need to win playoff games or played vs fewer teams, that's still amazing. 

Lombardi gets the nod. As much as it pains me to call him the 2nd greatest coach in NFL history, I think Belicheck has surpassed him. Still, being above Shula, Brown, Halas, Landry....that's no small feat. But I have Lombardi representing the 60s, so no Starr. 

And I have to put Favre on there. Yes, Harlan brought Wolf; Wolf brought Holmgren, Wolf brought Favre and Holmgren made him great. It's all hand-in-glove. But Wolf was in GB from 91-00. Holmgren was in GB from 92-98. Harlan was a lifer, spending 36  yrs with the organisation, but by the same token, the last man standing was Favre, though only by a few weeks. But I once saw Favre's career described as "imagine if Hank Aaron had Cal Ripken's ironman streak." That's pretty impressive, not to mention 3 MVPs (and 2 other MVP-caliber years in 94 and 07). Sure, GB left some titles on the field, but Favre endured as the face of the franchise, maybe even the NFL, for the better part of 2 decades. 

13 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

You can't really compare different eras of football to each other.  You can compare the dominance of your team in its era.  You all get a 'feel good' about Favre, but his teams weren't dominant.  Favre never won a Super Bowl without the #1 defense in the league- an uncomfortable truth.  Plus, the guy turned traitor late in his career.  You don't build monuments to traitors (or dik-pik takers).  I'd vote for Lambeau, Hutson, Lombardi and Starr. 

I can absolutely compare different eras of football to each other. I do it all the time.

The 96 team was absolutely dominant, are you insane? Only team in NFL history to rank #1 in Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. And the implication that I'm some kind of Favre homer is absolutely INSANE. I ride Favre harder than anybody.

We're going to knock Favre for his problems but act like Curly Lambeau wasn't a womanizing, genuine-soul-deep *******, who left for Chicago and then Washington? We're going to pretend like Lombardi didn't leave for Washington when he demanded the team make him at least a partial owner? 

There's too much history in the last 50 years to not give somebody a nod, and I don't give a **** that Starr coached into the early 80s. 

Speaking of Dominance

The 1929 Green Bay Packers outscored their opponents 198 - 22 (!)  in cruising to a 12-0-1 record in the fledgling NFL
It would be the 1st of these Packers' 3 consecutive Championships in a row

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/1929.htm

Speaking of winning 3 Championships in a row, The Mighty Green Bay Packers are the only franchise in NFL history to achieve that lofty goal
And just to be certain, the 1965-67 Green Bay Packers repeated the 3 - peat, winning 3 consecutive NFL Championships, including the first 2 Superb Owls

(We're going to need a bigger Mountain.)

YKIPIKNA.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

th?id=OIP.kMOSfr_sEO3Kzdu3mhjoagHaKK%26p

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I can absolutely compare different eras of football to each other. I do it all the time.

The 96 team was absolutely dominant, are you insane? Only team in NFL history to rank #1 in Offense, Defense, and Special Teams. And the implication that I'm some kind of Favre homer is absolutely INSANE. I ride Favre harder than anybody.

We're going to knock Favre for his problems but act like Curly Lambeau wasn't a womanizing, genuine-soul-deep *******, who left for Chicago and then Washington? We're going to pretend like Lombardi didn't leave for Washington when he demanded the team make him at least a partial owner? 

There's too much history in the last 50 years to not give somebody a nod, and I don't give a **** that Starr coached into the early 80s. 

Thank you.  I knew someone else would post that stuff.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:39 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

And Starr didn't have the pedigree as a HC that Forrest Gregg had....Gregg had an appearance in the SB before he came here, so an awful lot was expected...Starrs' shortcomings were in part surrounding himself with friends (like Bratkowski) instead of perhaps more qualified assistants....