Umbrella Academy Season 2

The Gnat

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

4 episodes in and diego is just not going to mention he’s seen two brief cases. I agree this show is enjoyable, but there is some terrible writing at times. 

They definitely get away with a handful of things like that by basically chalking it up to none of the main characters being all that bright or level-headed. Sometimes I appreciate them having the main characters actually make mistakes, sometimes it's a bit too convenient.

Anywho, just got to the end of this myself. Still thoroughly enjoying this show. As soon as the Footloose scene broke out early on, I knew I was going to continue loving this. I like when fiction can embrace the absurdity it presents and lean into it, rather than trying to cover up how weird the **** going on is.

Spoilers for more specific thoughts:

Spoiler

To get it out of the way first, Allison is absolutely the most unlikable character in anything I've watched, recently. She was more of a villain than most of the show's actual villains this season, but they kept having the characters freaking apologize to her. Like, person who murders, lies, and rapes to cope with their personal trauma is basically the description of half of all comic book supervillains. Don't pretend to make her relatable at that point. I wanted her to die most of the movie, and not in like the Ramsay Bolton, this will be so satisfying when this character gets what they deserves, way, but in the I just want her off the screen, way. If they try to redeem her in the next season, I honestly don't feel I can go along with that.

The rest of the Umbrellas were all solid. They handled Viktor's transition really well. I joked that they needed to do it Iron Man 2 style...and it really wasn't that far off. Quick acknowledgment by each character, and then they pretty much carried on. Was well-done. Klaus was amazing as always. They struck a much better balance with Luther for me in this one, where he was more lovably stupid than just plain stupid, like in past seasons. It was a bit hard to accept grumpy Ben, for me, given how well I think they had done with the character previously, but I'm sure I'll grow into it.

I was a bit worried about how hand-wavy the ending was, with everyone emerging alive, but the fact that none of them have powers adds at least some consequence that I can appreciate. Though honestly, 3 seasons in, I know it's really difficult in a team like this to kill off a key team member, but it feels like someone should've died for real by now. Half the time has died and come back, at this point. And sure, the whole schtick is alternate timelines and realities and all, but killing Luther, then showing him through Klaus to come save the team, then having him disappear again, and then he's just back again, was kind of unsatisfying, for me.

I enjoyed the Sparrows. They died too easily and too soon, honestly.

I do like where they leave off, though. Reginald always has a strong presence when he's been in the show, and the potential for him to properly be the antagonist in the next season is appealing to me, rather than him just kind of being a pain in everyone's *** from beyond the grave.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Allison ******* sucks. She's an awful person all season long, and she ends up getting everything she wanted with no consequences for any of her egregious actions. Reminds me of the ending of 13 reasons why when every terrible person got away with what they did.

Gotta think the bill comes due for what she did next season in a bad way, the way they wrote her left very little wiggle room. She was ready to sacrifice all of her siblings.

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Anywho, just got to the end of this myself. Still thoroughly enjoying this show. As soon as the Footloose scene broke out early on, I knew I was going to continue loving this. I like when fiction can embrace the absurdity it presents and lean into it, rather than trying to cover up how weird the **** going on is.

Spoilers for more specific thoughts:

Hide contents

To get it out of the way first, Allison is absolutely the most unlikable character in anything I've watched, recently. She was more of a villain than most of the show's actual villains this season, but they kept having the characters freaking apologize to her. Like, person who murders, lies, and rapes to cope with their personal trauma is basically the description of half of all comic book supervillains. Don't pretend to make her relatable at that point. I wanted her to die most of the movie, and not in like the Ramsay Bolton, this will be so satisfying when this character gets what they deserves, way, but in the I just want her off the screen, way. If they try to redeem her in the next season, I honestly don't feel I can go along with that.

The rest of the Umbrellas were all solid. They handled Viktor's transition really well. I joked that they needed to do it Iron Man 2 style...and it really wasn't that far off. Quick acknowledgment by each character, and then they pretty much carried on. Was well-done. Klaus was amazing as always. They struck a much better balance with Luther for me in this one, where he was more lovably stupid than just plain stupid, like in past seasons. It was a bit hard to accept grumpy Ben, for me, given how well I think they had done with the character previously, but I'm sure I'll grow into it.

I was a bit worried about how hand-wavy the ending was, with everyone emerging alive, but the fact that none of them have powers adds at least some consequence that I can appreciate. Though honestly, 3 seasons in, I know it's really difficult in a team like this to kill off a key team member, but it feels like someone should've died for real by now. Half the time has died and come back, at this point. And sure, the whole schtick is alternate timelines and realities and all, but killing Luther, then showing him through Klaus to come save the team, then having him disappear again, and then he's just back again, was kind of unsatisfying, for me.

I enjoyed the Sparrows. They died too easily and too soon, honestly.

I do like where they leave off, though. Reginald always has a strong presence when he's been in the show, and the potential for him to properly be the antagonist in the next season is appealing to me, rather than him just kind of being a pain in everyone's *** from beyond the grave.

Some thoughts off that

Spoiler

With how the show is, I’m sure they will build to some level of redemption for her… however it might be sacrificial. Yeah they really blew past the rape thing. I was good with it because it seemed like things were coming to blows and she finally was just going to become a villain…which she did, we’ll just have to wait til next season for that to catch up with her. 

Yeah this was Luther’s best writing and  season. Was sad when he died, like they finally are making things work here. Yeah Ben being that agro was tough, like I expected a little more cracks to show in that exterior. 

Sparrows were fun, way weirder than I thought they’d be. I wonder if next season will be the umbrellas trying to find them / yet to be seen other children. Luther going after Sloane seems like the obvious thing we’ll see. Presumably they all exist in the world, are just without powers too. I liked Jayme a lot, would be down for her sticking around if they bring her back. I’m sure if they do do that they’ll have fun seeing what the hell Christopher is without powers.

yeah it’ll be fun getting Reg as the main antagonist. He was a fun part of this season, really enjoyed his time with Klaus… who is always the highlight.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Gotta think the bill comes due for what she did next season in a bad way, the way they wrote her left very little wiggle room. She was ready to sacrifice all of her siblings.

I'd like to think so but I doubt it. They brushed right past the SA as if it didn't happen, and then after everything she did they gave her the emotional ending you'd expect them to give a sympathetic character.