Raheem Mostert Requests a trade

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, N4L said:

the guy had been cut by 6 other franchises and had just sustained a season ending injury. He took a long term deal to give himself some financial security. 

Just because he is now underpaid doesnt mean it wasnt the right decision to make at the time. If he wouldnt have taken that contract and signed elsewhere, he wouldnt have produced (at rb) the way he did. 

I always thought it was interesting that we didnt use him on the first drive, but that he would still be our gunner on the first punt. Then the second drive he would come in at RB and would not be gunner. "hes not our starter"

We arent trading him. I doubt we give him very much more money because it sets bad precedent reworking a  contract after 1 season

Interesting angle though: Players will probably be able to 'opt out' of playing this year due to covid and not be subject to the same fines that they would have otherwise accrued. They wont get paid, but they probably wont get fined either. Melvin gordon held out last year and had to pay a bunch of fines after he came back. Mostert would be able to hold out this year by opting out of playing. I doubt he does it, because his career earnings are 3.2 million and he is set to make 2.5 million this season. Hard to see him walking away from that

A holdout from him would be bad obviously, especially because we traded away the only other RB with legitimate speed for the outside stretch in Breida. So we would be rolling with Wilson, coleman, mckinnon, and hasty... (after an offseason in which I was pounding the table for a legit RB in the draft smh). 

I still cant figure out why coleman is on the roster. Probably the only legit complaint I have about our offseason.

I hope wilson gets a legit shot this year, and not only because I have him signed to a 5 year contract in the forum's dynasty league

We still have McKinnon for the speed factor and word is he has looked phenomenal in his off-season training.

Him and his agent are just following trends. I can't blame him for trying but he has no leverage. And we won't give in so he's stuck basically...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

and Didn't something like this happen last year with him and his agent? so we gave him the three year deal last year?

If memory serves, it seems like we initially gave him a 1 year deal then we agreed to a 3 year extension shortly after. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swift21 said:

He shouldn't have signed that 3 year deal. Only has himself to blame.

I get it in his position. He was basically roster fodder for nearly a dozen other franchises making a few hundred dollars a week or whatever it is. That money was big. 

Now he has shown that he is more of a player than he was last year at this time, he's 28 years old and really only has one shot at getting some money here to set him and his family up. I support his actions fully as I'm typically pro player, but I just don't know that the team is going to cater to it given the cap constraints, the position, etc. 

• Like 2

I just happened to be flipping through the channels and stumbled on Around The Horn and they were discussing Mostert and all four media panelists were emphatic that we should pay Morstert and that he is a irreplaceable cog in the offense.

The national media just really has no clue about these things when it comes to personnel.

They just talk about the NFCCG and the fact that we traded Brieda so that means we're in no position to play hardball. On the outside, looking in, that may seem to be the case. But as much as like Mostert and his story, there will ALWAYS be another lowly regarded RB Shanny find, develops and makes relevant. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I get it in his position. He was basically roster fodder for nearly a dozen other franchises making a few hundred dollars a week or whatever it is. That money was big. 

Now he has shown that he is more of a player than he was last year at this time, he's 28 years old and really only has one shot at getting some money here to set him and his family up. I support his actions fully as I'm typically pro player, but I just don't know that the team is going to cater to it given the cap constraints, the position, etc. 

I don't get the bolded part at all. It would take me 30 years to make his current annual salary and I am comfortable. What he's doing is risking his extremely well paid job so how does this help him to set up his family?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

I don't get the bolded part at all. It would take me 30 years to make his current annual salary and I am comfortable. What he's doing is risking his extremely well paid job so how does this help him to set up his family?

Meh, he's not risking anything. Making the trade demands just let's the FO know he's unhappy. He's not getting traded. And if by chance he did, his new team picks up his salary or more than likely gives him a modest extension or salary restructure  that raises his guarantee money for this year. He's going to get his money....this year anyways.

37 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

There's no risk here for him. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

Well, if he wants a chance at another SB, yes there is some risk. Breida went to Miami and, while there is potential there in Miami, the 9ers have the foundation for a return.

Clearly the super bowl isn't as high on the priorities as the money is. So no, there's no risk. He's making his priorities clear in that regard

• Like 2

As much as I liked what he did for us last year. He's replaceable. We messed up investing as much money as we did into RB and that decision has bit us in the butt many different ways. But I think this may be the worst. I would have no issues paying him 5 million a year given what he does as a RB and on ST, but in my mind, we just can't afford him. If we had made the  hard decision on Coleman. he could still be here..but alas.

Also worth noting, I think Coleman is still fine to have on the team. The real **** up was Mckinnon. 

On 7/9/2020 at 10:15 AM, Forge said:

I know his story. But if you don't have the confidence to bet on yourself. That's on you.

• Like 1