Raheem Mostert Requests a trade

49erurtaza

Mostert>Coleman whatever way you look at it. If Mostert is going to continue being a STs stud and be our lead back (don't know if he still plays STs, didn't towards end of season), then I get where he is coming from. He is well aware that RBs have to strike when the iron is hot and this is his window to getting paid. Bump his salary for this season a bit and go from there. Still will have enough money to pay Kittle his extension. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mostert>Coleman whatever way you look at it. If Mostert is going to continue being a STs stud and be our lead back (don't know if he still plays STs, didn't towards end of season), then I get where he is coming from. He is well aware that RBs have to strike when the iron is hot and this is his window to getting paid. Bump his salary for this season a bit and go from there. Still will have enough money to pay Kittle his extension. 

Convert next year's base to SB. That's probably the only thing I'm doing. Basically gives him another 2 million now, and then we can look at potentially signing an extension after the season is over (spoiler alert, I wouldn't be giving him an extension lol). 

Just now, Forge said:

Convert next year's base to SB. That's probably the only thing I'm doing. Basically gives him another 2 million now, and then we can look at potentially signing an extension after the season is over (spoiler alert, I wouldn't be giving him an extension lol). 

And the team won't likely be giving him an extension but that is the way to go. I know fans are upset, but dude is a 28 year old journeymen RB trying to get a pay bump knowing when he hits free agency, he won't be getting much money. 

His asking price isn't even anything crazy. Just wants about 2M more for next season. Will be interesting to see how Shanny/Lynch handle this situation. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And the team won't likely be giving him an extension but that is the way to go. I know fans are upset, but dude is a 28 year old journeymen RB trying to get a pay bump knowing when he hits free agency, he won't be getting much money. 

His asking price isn't even anything crazy. Just wants about 2M more for next season. Will be interesting to see how Shanny/Lynch handle this situation. 

The good thing for him is that we have nobody under contract at the running back position except him next year LOL

It's kind of crazy to turn over the entire running back room in a single off season

Just now, N4L said:

lets just cut coleman already. "mostert, you are now the highest paid RB on the team" LOL

It should have been done months ago. I'm super annoyed (hindsight making it more frustrating now), and now half his salary is guaranteed so we don't save as much. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

It should have been done months ago. I'm super annoyed (hindsight making it more frustrating now), and now half his salary is guaranteed so we don't save as much. 

It was the easiest cut of the off-season and for some reason we didn't make it 

I don't understand it 

That 5m could have gone to kittle, or maybe a guard that is actually good (I have no faith in Compton) 

• Like 1

Pretty darn good write up by OverTheCap, they make some compelling arguments.

"Mostert’s contract was likely based somewhat off Damien Williams $2.55 million a year contract with the Chiefs, which was for a player who was a special teams player that participated a bit on offense. Still I would argue, and I am sure the 49ers did, that those numbers are not just representative of just a special teams player. Recently Latavius Murray signed for $3.6 million a year, Jalen Richard for $3.5 million a year, and Carlos Hyde for $2.75M and this deal was higher than the Williams contract.

Another issue for Mostert here is that he and the 49ers agreed to up to $1 million a season in incentives that would compensate him if he developed into more of a full time offensive player. So from their perspective his contract already accounted for the possibility of more playing time and performance levels that would pay him around the base value of teammate Tevin Coleman."

https://overthecap.com/raheem-mostert-wants-a-trade/

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Njoku wants a trade Mostert wants a trade... let’s make a deal.

Njoku is a bad football player and costs more 

That would be an absolutely horrible trade 

Njoku is the classic example of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane". He was overdrafted because of his 'potential' and now the only reason he is getting attention is because of where he was drafted 

He's not good

31 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

He shouldn't have signed that 3 year deal. Only has himself to blame.

the guy had been cut by 6 other franchises and had just sustained a season ending injury. He took a long term deal to give himself some financial security. 

Just because he is now underpaid doesnt mean it wasnt the right decision to make at the time. If he wouldnt have taken that contract and signed elsewhere, he wouldnt have produced (at rb) the way he did. 

I always thought it was interesting that we didnt use him on the first drive, but that he would still be our gunner on the first punt. Then the second drive he would come in at RB and would not be gunner. "hes not our starter"

We arent trading him. I doubt we give him very much more money because it sets bad precedent reworking a  contract after 1 season

Interesting angle though: Players will probably be able to 'opt out' of playing this year due to covid and not be subject to the same fines that they would have otherwise accrued. They wont get paid, but they probably wont get fined either. Melvin gordon held out last year and had to pay a bunch of fines after he came back. Mostert would be able to hold out this year by opting out of playing. I doubt he does it, because his career earnings are 3.2 million and he is set to make 2.5 million this season. Hard to see him walking away from that

A holdout from him would be bad obviously, especially because we traded away the only other RB with legitimate speed for the outside stretch in Breida. So we would be rolling with Wilson, coleman, mckinnon, and hasty... (after an offseason in which I was pounding the table for a legit RB in the draft smh). 

I still cant figure out why coleman is on the roster. Probably the only legit complaint I have about our offseason.

I hope wilson gets a legit shot this year, and not only because I have him signed to a 5 year contract in the forum's dynasty league

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

Like the player but his a rb so theres no leverage to give into his demands of a better contract. Plenty of quality rbs looking for work.

Just cause we over paid on Mckinnon and Coleman doesn't mean we have to spend more money on a position that to be fair our coaching makes easy to get yards with.

What could you get for him cause i take it. My thoughts are you either want to be a niner or you don't . If he wants a trade give it too him i trust our coaching for us not to miss him much. 

I could be bias in my views but with rbs unless you have a top tier guy (mccaffrey, elliott, etc) i would just use a 2nd to 4th ever 4 years to draft a rb and let him play out his rookie contract then repeat. The money can be better spent on other positions.