49ers RB Raheem Mostert requests trade

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I know he doesn't have the wear and tear.

I thought for most RBs though that age was a major factor, regardless of usage?

(That is unless you're AD or Frank Gore)

Truthfully, I dunno. I don't know that there's a big enough sample size or the research has been done. I'd hedge toward mileage, as the drop in production for rbs who carry a certain number of times has been spoken of before, and that often comes regardless of age

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Truthfully, I dunno. I don't know that there's a big enough sample size or the research has been done. I'd hedge toward mileage, as the drop in production for rbs who carry a certain number of times has been spoken of before, and that often comes regardless of age

1800 carries I believe used to be the number at which a RB begins to slow down or drop off, historically speaking. Not sure if that was only carries, with RBs being used in the passing game more and more often I would assume the wear and tear from those touches would be used in combination with carries. Mostert is far from that number, like stupid little usage. But I can’t think of a ton of RBs who really came on late in their careers and stayed good - great for very long.

In terms of age and the “historical” drop off point I believe 30 is the usual marker,  newer write ups I’ve seen has the marker at 28, but I believe that number more or less applies to guys who have consistently seen touches throughout their careers.

Edited by Fureys49ers

31 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

1800 carries I believe used to be the number at which a RB begins to slow down or drop off, historically speaking. Not sure if that was only carries, with RBs being used in the passing game more and more often I would assume the wear and tear from those touches would be used in combination with carries.

Stats guys typically talked about RB "touches" (runs + catches) because you're taking punishment for both.
Teams used to run lead backs into the ground - if you look at the link, there are some insane numbers (rushing attempts only, I added the rec's below)

- Larry Johnson with 457 touches in 2006
- Priest Holmes had 394 touches in 2003
- Mostert has 198 touches for his career

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_att_single_season.htm

On 7/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, N4L said:

despite his age, he has very few miles on the odometer due to the fact he was never a starting running back in the NFL nor college until this past season.

That is, unless you count the miles he ran against the packers in the NFCCG!

Fair enough i guess.  But he is still encroaching on that age where RBs start to deteriorate, lose explosive power, and fade off into the sunset regardless.  And there are still a ton of practice miles on his body, a ton a training hours on the clock, just a ton of everything that comes with a RB at that age.  It's not the same as a "fresh out of college" option that can be had with a nothing pick.

He's kind of the worst of both worlds.  A guy who has a lot of miles on his body...but without the in game yardage experience to have that savvy to compensate.