Week 4

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Ok i get they want to make the game safer but as someone who grew up watching butkus singletary tatumn taylor etc...thats some good old fashioned NFL football.

I would be hard pressed to come up with a more avoidable helmet to helmet hit. The guy was stationary and Trevathan had a run up. Even if he didn't mean it he gets paid to avoid that exact kind of contact and he failed to in the easiest situation imaginable.

1 hour ago, Dirk Gently said:

I would be hard pressed to come up with a more avoidable helmet to helmet hit. The guy was stationary and Trevathan had a run up. Even if he didn't mean it he gets paid to avoid that exact kind of contact and he failed to in the easiest situation imaginable.

Never said it wasnt avoidable. Heck, worst part is that he didnt even try to look at his target - though i guess, also, that the target may have been the chest but as Adams was already falling...

I dunno, onky Trevathan knows what his agenda was

My point was more that back in those days, if you WERENT trying to hit like that, people would question your passion..

Famous Singletary moment: As a rookie he didnt see many chances to take the field; until one week the runngame was killing them. Singletary was told to go in there and make sure the running back couldnt get any more first downs.

Singletarys first true chance at MLB was a hard hitting helmet-to-chin bad intentions drilling lariat of a tackle that injured the running back and propelled Singletary to instant stardom in Chicago.

Thats the era i grew up in. While times changed, and Indont want anyone hurt or dealing with brain trauma later on, that style of play was a huge part of the game for me as anyoung fan way back. Not condoning what Trevathan did, but it indeed was an old fashioned NFL wallop.

Meh... Modern day gladiators.  I'm old school. I think most people that have a problem with it never really played the sport. Or played offense. Adams looks like he is dropping and he happens to drop to the perfect level for contact.  I HIGHLY doubt it was pre- meditated and perfectly executed malice. And I played WR.

Just now, DaBoys said:

Meh... Modern day gladiators.  I'm old school. I think most people that have a problem with it never really played the sport. Or played offense. Adams looks like he is dropping and he happens to drop to the perfect level for contact.  I HIGHLY doubt it was pre- meditated and perfectly executed malice. And I played WR.

I've seen hits like this where the Murphy's Law just goes in full effect. I doubt it was intentional. 

Back as recently as '05ish we as a collective fan base would be roaring and applauding a Roy Williams hit like that.(and I'm sure most Bears fans, at least at the time, went crazy over it and were only concerned about a possible fumble)

I get that the game is changing but you can't just expect us to change this quick. It's going to take a while before I'm condemning big hits by a LB/ over the middle.

Especially when the receiver has had the ball for a while and is fighting for yards. It's not like he was reaching for the ball and was hit in the head. If you catch it and start making football moves you're a RB. That's my football. 

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I played the sport. I played defense. I coached. I don't like it at all. I still love big hits when the play asks for it. For example, if Byron Jones blows up Sammy Watkins on an intermediate dig route. That's fine. That's football. He went over the middle. But the play was dead here. We know about the consequences of concussions. And Trevathan went straight for a head shot. It's a dirty play. I think it was 100% premeditated. He lowered his head to strike him with the crown of his helmet.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I played the sport. I played defense. I coached. I don't like it at all. I still love big hits when the play asks for it. For example, if Byron Jones blows up Sammy Watkins on an intermediate dig route. That's fine. That's football. He went over the middle. But the play was dead here. We know about the consequences of concussions. And Trevathan went straight for a head shot. It's a dirty play. I think it was 100% premeditated. He lowered his head to strike him with the crown of his helmet.

Well I disagree, and as per usual, you are further from the truth than the Rams are from Missouri. First and most importantly, Byron Jones doesn't blow anyone up. The last thing I saw him blow up was a coverage assignment. Also to say  it was 100% premeditated is assuming a lot about Danny Trevethan, who has never been accused of being a dirty player, and had to close his eyes during film session because he didn't want to watch the play.

29 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Well I disagree, and as per usual, you are further from the truth than the Rams are from Missouri. First and most importantly, Byron Jones doesn't blow anyone up. The last thing I saw him blow up was a coverage assignment. Also to say  it was 100% premeditated is assuming a lot about Danny Trevethan, who has never been accused of being a dirty player, and had to close his eyes during film session because he didn't want to watch the play.

Nobody is saying he's a bad person. Emotions get the best of you. But he knew what he was doing. He came flying in, lowered his helmet, and delivered a shot to head of a player who wasn't going anywhere.

I disagree with that as well. His professional responsibility is to make plays on the football field and if he doesn't, then he won't be a professional for very long. That's how he feeds his family. No one gets a contract extension because they protect the other teams players with great responsibility. If Trevethan slows up and Adams spins out of that tackle and keeps running, then everyone will scream for Trevethan to be fired, or if you ask the fans they'll say burn him at the stake. They'll question his passion and just about every other aspect of his manhood. And when you are flying around in a circle space that has a 10 yard radius, and you're trying to make a play, protecting the other teams players CAN'T be first on your agenda or you are toast.

No matter how much you don't like it. The play was not dead. Adams was not standing still. He in fact had to lower his helmet level to the spot of collision or he would have been hit in the chest. Trevethan should not have led with the crown of his helmet but that happens when your form slips as you are desperate for a play.  There was nothing intentional, and I don't think he broke any code among players. 

38 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I disagree with that as well.

I'm not sure how you can disagree, as it's in the rules of the game. The hit to the helmet was illegal, unnecessary, and completely avoidable to bringing down Adams. It absolutely *is* his professional responsibility to not do that.

Archived