Week 4

WizardHawk

It's a new rule, it's ambiguous and a matter of interpretation. Just like most new rules. 

There's a high percentage of players, and coaches who feel it wasn't a dirty hit, maybe we should go tell them about the rule book so they understand?

I dont think anyone wants to see a player getting brain damaged out there. But as a long term football guy, playing coaching scouting watching etc I dont even think this is as bad of a hit as we used to celebrate just a few years back.

As Daboys said, Roy Williams, our very own former bone crusher, used to get cheered on for such hits. Albeit he never really had things fall in a way where it was a vicious helmet to helmet hit like this one. But the hard hits they wrte a big part of his game and our defense from about 02-07.

Problem as I see it is that it looks completely brutal. Adams is in the process of falling down which puts his head in the perfect trajectory for an already launched missile that we call Danny Trevathan. But circumstances arose which caused the hit to be placed where it landed Imo, and while trevathan could have kept his head up and watched what he was doing, it doesnt look like he was intentionally aiming to crack the guys head open.

Look, Im still all for big hits on receivers over the middle. You used to have to be a tough SOB with a certain playstyle to work there. Now you get guys like TY Hilton and Antonio Brown that make anliving turning the ball up field from a mid field catch because DBs and Lbs are afeaid to draw a flag for drilling them. They have tonwait until the receiver is in the process of a catch now, and cant target an open rib cage area or the back of a "defenseless" target. To me its still hard to stomach seeing Hilton extend for amhigh catch between a safety and a backer and not have him get crushed for trying.

But im from the old school. Where Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet and other.tough as nails guys would eat that hit, move the chains and hop up with a smile. Back when you needed guys like Mark Bavaro and Art Monk and Steve Largent with that hard as nails bravado about them, with the mental and physical toughness, perhaps even some.bulk, and of course the balls to work that middle knowing you were gonna get hit by a speeding truck for trying to move those chains.

In the end, the NFL has changed for safety and I get that. But you cant remove the violence from football entirely. The best the Nfl can do is not glorify big bonecrushing hits, shift some rules around and stop replaying hits like this one so people dont get the wrong ideas.

Bottom line - doubt it was intentional but the league needs to its stance anyway. He will be fined and likely sit out a game or two.

Witnessed the crummiest thing in footbalk today at the Jets game.

Kony Ealy tips and intercepts a ball. Almost runs it in for a score. He chucks it into the seats ancouple rows behind me

A min later two other Jets come back to ask for the ball back, pointing to Kony Ealy as if they plan to give it to him.

The guy says no and hands it to his boy who looks all of 11.

2 mins later two officers come over and demand the ball.

Why chuck it into the stands if you want it back that badly? Thats really crummy.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Witnessed the crummiest thing in footbalk today at the Jets game.

Kony Ealy tips and intercepts a ball. Almost runs it in for a score. He chucks it into the seats ancouple rows behind me

A min later two other Jets come back to ask for the ball back, pointing to Kony Ealy as if they plan to give it to him.

The guy says no and hands it to his boy who looks all of 11.

2 mins later two officers come over and demand the ball.

Why chuck it into the stands if you want it back that badly? Thats really crummy.

Uhhhhh cause it's football players. I don't believe in them having standards and morals anymore when the camera is off of them. You should have put it on cam then on youtube.

Frankly the fact they weren't showing the national anthem has me writing the whole damn lot of them off.

Archived