Madden 21

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

Anyone want to join a league I’m starting?

My brother and I start a CFM annually and are pretty dedicated with it. Last year, we commissioned a league that lasted 9 seasons (without simming). 

So if you’re looking for a dedicated league with more veteran players, please consider joining.

We will start later tomorrow, regardless of how many users we have (we currently have about half a dozen). But we want users to join before we start as we are doing a fantasy draft.

League name is: Madden One

If you read the past few pages in here, not sure you’re gonna get anyone lol. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If you read the past few pages in here, not sure you’re gonna get anyone lol. 

No worries if so. It’s looking to fill up nicely for a start tomorrow. (Only problem is the majority of users will be from Reddit/etc. again, wish the majority was from FF as that’d just be the true seal of quality, but oh well.)

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’m seriously debating getting a PS2 just to get NFL 2K5. Heck, I got a PS3 just cause I wanted to play NCAA 14 lol. 

It's not worth it.  I tried it.  Unless you do some alternate reality type thing, not having the ability to update rosters really kills it. 

This is pathetic.

For those of you know Ryan Moody, he regularly pushes a game called Axis Football.  Its by no means competition for Madden, as it is a low budget game with fictional teams and players.  However, for as many excuses as we get about franchise mode in Madden, just check out this video about Axis Footballs franchise....

This is a game with a very small fraction of EAs money and staff, and this is what type of things they have implemented.  Obviously, its a very limited game in many areas, but you have to consider the circumstances.  Imagine if you had passionate developers like this who had the budget, company size and NFL license that EA has.  The game would be unbelievable.

I mean, Madden is also unbelievable...but not in a good way.

Its sad that low budget and old games still outshine current day Madden in most areas outside of graphics.

• Like 5

Not a big fan of Axis, bought in 2018 and 2019 and was largely unimpressed but haven’t looked into 2020. 

Although I did just buy All Pro Football 2K8 for PS3. I’ve heard from so many people All Pro Football 2K8 is the best gameplay football game in history. It also functions like OOTP where you can make fictional teams and players and have a 24 team league. I love games like OOTP. 

I also bought a PS2 and NFL 2K5. 

Waiting for both games to arrive. The graphics for 2K5 do not bother me! PS1 would bother me, but PS2 graphics are fine for a sports game. 

Also All Pro 2K8 graphics for PS3 are better graphics than Madden 21 on PS4 IMO... I’ve always thought EA’s graphics for all their sports games are terrible and cartoon looking. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Not a big fan of Axis, bought in 2018 and 2019 and was largely unimpressed but haven’t looked into 2020. 

Although I did just buy All Pro Football 2K8 for PS3. I’ve heard from so many people All Pro Football 2K8 is the best gameplay football game in history. It also functions like OOTP where you can make fictional teams and players and have a 24 team league. I love games like OOTP. 

I also bought a PS2 and NFL 2K5. 

Waiting for both games to arrive. The graphics for 2K5 do not bother me! PS1 would bother me, but PS2 graphics are fine for a sports game. 

Also All Pro 2K8 graphics for PS3 are better graphics than Madden 21 on PS4 IMO... I’ve always thought EA’s graphics for all their sports games are terrible and cartoon looking. 

Never played it, but I have heard the gameplay is terrible.  I was mainly just speaking of the ideas implemented in franchise mode.   This is a very low budget game, that has only been around a few years.    

I wish they would forget about gameplay and just make it a Head Coach 09 esque franchise sim.  

As for All Pro 2k8....the attention of detail in that game is crazy.   Its pathetic how far Madden is still behind that and 2k5 in many areas.

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

Never played it, but I have heard the gameplay is terrible.  I was mainly just speaking of the ideas implemented in franchise mode.   This is a very low budget game, that has only been around a few years.    

I wish they would forget about gameplay and just make it a Head Coach 09 esque franchise sim.  

As for All Pro 2k8....the attention of detail in that game is crazy.   Its pathetic how far Madden is still behind that and 2k5 in many areas.

Yes they should make a Head Coach style game, it's very obvious Madden has been geared towards arcade type gameplay. It was a pretty sim game on PS2, Semi-Sim on PS3 (Earlier versions like 10 and 12 spring to mind, those two editions were decently Sim), and not sim at all on PS4.

Perhaps I will make a Franchise of updated rosters on 2K5, and make a YouTube channel off it or something.

All I want is an updated football video game for 2020-2021, doesn't even have to be NFL, with unlimited customization. One per gen. Give me a game for PS5 and I'm good all the way til PS6.... I mean, are we really asking for much? Obviously with good gameplay and graphics as well. An NFL game would be nice, but this would make me pretty happy.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

Bought a PS2 Slim Silver (rare launch console) for $100 in mint condition/almost new and NFL 2K5 Factory Sealed for $35. Like I'm living in 2004 lol. This will tide me over as I'm boycotting Madden a bare minimum at least one more year. Soonest I'll buy is Madden 23 (eBay, not to give EA my money), and even then, I'll only buy if it looks seriously improved.

Can't wait to update the rosters. Many PS2 Save Files on OS, although I don't mind doing it myself.

Was watching gameplay videos last night, and damn the game is impressive. Even the graphics for 3 gens old are not too shabby at all. Blows Madden's PS2 graphics out of the water. And a lot of games for that matter, it's like PS2.5 level graphics. 2K was really ahead of their time with the NFL 2K series.

With all the hate Madden gets, no doubt Madden was fantastic on PS2, although I give the edge to 2K.

Greatest Football Series of all time:

1) NFL2K3-2K5 (PS2/XBOX)

2) Madden 2004-07 (PS2/XBOX)

3) NFL 2K-2K2 (Dreamcast)

All terrific installments. I will also give EA credit for Madden 10 on PS3 for giving us Online Franchise which the community was requesting for 5+ years. Madden 10 had some decent gameplay as well. Although I wouldn't exactly call it a good game.

The last great Madden game was Madden 07 for PS2/XBOX. And even that game was a carbon copy of Madden 06 with updated rosters. When EA bought the license after Madden 2005 vs NFL 2K5 were competing with each other, Madden actually did put effort in their next release in Madden 06, which was a great game, fresh, and a lot of effort. However, starting with Madden 07, they knew they had zero competition, and could put out literally the same game forever. At this point, not only did the game not get better, it started to massively regress. To the point a lot of people today would realistically rate the Madden 13-Madden 21 games a 3-5 out of 10. I'd say Madden 12 was a decent installment, and the last good gameplay of the series.

Ever since Madden 07, this team has put zero effort into their games for the series. That's why as soon as they have another competitor for an NFL game, they will lose drastically. That's why buying the exclusive license was a bad idea for EA to begin with, as soon as they lose it their toast.

• Like 1