1/4 season brief thoughts

squire12

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

why 2-1?

3-0. We are a better team than all of them.

Back to back road games against play-off teams, it wouldn't shock me if we lost one.

One thing I really like about this team, is their willingness to adapt.

1. Josh Jones didn't see the field much the first two games, but it's evident that when he's on the field he can make things happen. He's still a bit raw, but in order to fix that is he needs reps. The staff recognizes what he can do and has made a serious effort to put him on the field.

2. The change of CBs. I'm so happy that they're not giving Randall and Rollins playing time, they're making them earn it (and surprise surprise, they ain't doing a good job). Kevin King is the future of that position, and the staff is smart for giving him the playing time now, so when December/ January comes, he's going to have a solid year of experience. Same with Josh Hawkins, who was one of the guys who stood out in camp. He got beat a few times yesterday, but he was on the receivers hip a lot it seemed. Like King, give the guy the reps now, so when the most important reps come, he'll be ready.

I really hope this trend continues, sometimes I believe Mac sticks to his original plans.

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Back to back road games against play-off teams, it wouldn't shock me if we lost one.

I'd be shocked if we won both of them.  Two straight road games against playoff contenders while the Packers are nursing some pretty significant injuries.  If we go 1-1 against the Vikings and Cowboys I'll be pleased.  If we go 2-0, I'll be stoked.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be shocked if we won both of them.  Two straight road games against playoff contenders while the Packers are nursing some pretty significant injuries.  If we go 1-1 against the Vikings and Cowboys I'll be pleased.  If we go 2-0, I'll be stoked.

Wouldn't shock me either. I was thinking about Minny earlier. When Bradford comes back they're gonna be a real dangerous team. We already know about the defense, but now with Diggs and Theilan progressing, a star in Dalvin Cook and a safety net in Kyle Rudolph (we never get ANY ND players, and they get them all!) that's a pretty potent offense

3-1 is where I expected us to be anyways, so I'm happy. We have some time to heal up and then a well placed bye week. Every team gets hit with injuries, but we got hit at an ideal time int he schedule. 12 is playing well, the defense is playing pretty well. Josh Jones and kevin King are showing up more than I think anyone expected this early, and that bodes well for our pass defense. A big shoutout goes to Cobb who should have about 50 more yards and another TD. He has risen to his level of play from a couple years ago. Really nice to see him and 12 connecting this well. I think all that nonsense of Cobb in the backfield hurt him. 

This offense hasn't even been able to use Bennett, Kendricks like intended. Nor have we been able to establish a run game due to being down and mass injuries on the OL. Post bye week when we usually hit our stride, I can't wait to see where the offense is. 4 capable WRs and 3 capable TEs behind a healthy OL, it should be lethal.

Defensively, keep getting everyone snaps, get Adams and Biegel in there soon. Stay fresh and play the young guys. I think we'll regress as we see some better offenses here but all we really need is a top 15 defense to be a legit contender.

The next 4 games are Cowboys, Vikings, Saints then Lions after the bye week, correct?  The only team that doesn't worry me is the Saints.  The other 3 concern me.  I can see them going 1-3, I would be happy at 2-2, but of course 3-1 or 4-0 would be better.  Speaking of Adams and Biegel, when can they be added to the roster?  After game 6 or 8?  Any news of them?

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd be thrilled to go 3-1 in the next 4.  Betting we go 2-2, though.   Saints look like a W on paper, but you watch, we will take them lightly and have a slobberknocker on our hands.

Nice use of the Madden language

Pulling out that Bengals win + Glennon giving us an easy W despite an improved Bears roster was absolutely huge at this point in the season given the ailing state of the roster and two tough upcoming road games before the bye.

I'd be shocked if we went 3-0 including @ Dallas and @ Minnesota and I think it might even be slightly more likely to lose 2/3 than to win 2/3. 2-1 would be a great result that will keep us close in the important playoff races and put us in excellent position assuming we start net taking players off the injury reports. Even if we go 1-2 and don't add important names to IR, standing at 4-3 with 2 weeks to rest guys puts us in adequate position for the 2nd half of the season after the bye (especially if we can get the one win vs MN). Obviously that isn't ideal but considering the state of the roster it's a realistic possibility that shouldn't cause us to panic thanks to the fact that we've overcome a lot to eke out a 3-1 record at this point in the season.

It might be hard to generate offense in the next two games with the latest rash of injuries. I expect Davante to miss the next game and maybe not be right for a week or two regardless if he passes protocol or not this week. I wouldn't be surprised if Montgomery missed a few games as well or was limited. We're at the breaking point on Tackles but if we can avoid losing more while our main two convalesce we might avoid complete disaster on the OL (somehow we've avoided it so far which I never would have guessed- the long term health of Bakh/Bulaga in the 2nd half of the season and post season should be paramount so I don't see the staff letting them take any chances while the current duct tape line holds). The bottom line is the options in the passing game will be limited while relying heavily on establishing the run-game against a better defense like MN isn't likely to work as well as it did against the Bears.

Add to that the offense being under a lot more pressure from decent Cowboys and (somehow the Keenum-led) Vikings offenses (they won't be giving away the ball every other drive like Glennon) and just winning one of these games would be good, realistic result given where this team is.

With all of the injuries, it's really hard to tell what kind of team this will be in December.  When the schedule came out, I think most GB fans would have been satisfied with a 3-1 start.  I'll be pretty stoked if the team heads into the bye at 5-2 and can come out of it with most of the injuries behind us.

I have to assume the OT injuries have thrown a wrench into whatever MM had planned for the offense after adding Bennett and Kendricks.  I remember MM waxing poetic about how GB would now be able to attack the middle of the field, but that hasn't happened much so far.  Seems obvious that the team needs one of the rookies to step into a timeshare with Monty at RB.  To me, Jones always seemed to be the best candidate.  Hopefully, his showing vs CHI will help pave the way for that.

I am cautiously optimistic about what the defense could be with a healthy Daniels and House now that King and Jones are seeing significant snaps.  The rookies are clearly raw, but it seems just as clear that the talent is there.  Then again, I was likely saying the same thing about Randall and Rollins two years ago <sigh> 

Archived