1/4 season brief thoughts

squire12

24 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Who's the most under appreciated player on this roster and why does it continue to be Lane Taylor?

The most underappreciated player on this team is Morgan Burnett. He's played safety, ILB, and slot CB and has excelled at all three.

1 hour ago, LargeFarva said:

You can't possibly believe this is true. Rodgers tries to exploit weaknesses almost to a fault.

I know it to be true.  We don't really motion guys open.  When we get big plays, it is off of the scramble drill, or free plays.  It is really rare for this team to out scheme another team.  Our offense is "innovative" only if you call putting Cobb in the backfield as innovative.

Red zone, kind of a different story.  

Maybe you can call Cobb's TD a scheme in that he faked a pick play and cut inside.  Jordy's first TD was a scramble drill.  Second one was a perfect throw by Rodgers.

Been a while since I can say that Mac has really outcoached someone on the other side of the field, offensively.  And that wasn't always the case.

About the best play I saw GB run last game was the play that got Adams hit hard.

Fake a screen, set up a wall for the receiver crossing the formation.  Rodgers threw it a second too early and the wall didn't have a chance to setup and pick off the defenders.

That was a good play, built off of the screen action.

The Cobb TD...I don't know if that was a Mac play, or if Rodgers just said "Hey, pretend to pick, then cut inside and I'll hit yah."

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We don't really motion guys open.  When we get big plays, it is off of the scramble drill, or free plays.  It is really rare for this team to out scheme another team.  Our offense is "innovative" only if you call putting Cobb in the backfield as innovative.

I couldn't care less about any of these things, nor do I think they're as valuable as you seem to believe. If the Packers rarely out scheme another team (which I don't agree is true) and keep winning, what does that tell you about scheme? Give me the most vanilla offense of all time as long as they keep scoring. There are no style points.

2 hours ago, LargeFarva said:

The most underappreciated player on this team is Morgan Burnett. He's played safety, ILB, and slot CB and has excelled at all three.

Hopefully the GM and Coach know it if the fans don't. I hope we just don't let him walk this off-season.

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I know it to be true.  We don't really motion guys open.  When we get big plays, it is off of the scramble drill, or free plays.  It is really rare for this team to out scheme another team.  Our offense is "innovative" only if you call putting Cobb in the backfield as innovative.

Red zone, kind of a different story.  

Maybe you can call Cobb's TD a scheme in that he faked a pick play and cut inside.  Jordy's first TD was a scramble drill.  Second one was a perfect throw by Rodgers.

Been a while since I can say that Mac has really outcoached someone on the other side of the field, offensively.  And that wasn't always the case.

This is malarkey. We've been called for how many picks this year? We get plenty of that kind of stuff, but I swear everyone is convinced we don't so what it happens either A. it's not acknowledge or B. They say oh well it barely ever happens, etc. 

I call it out in the GDT's every single time it happens every game just to be a jackass.

How can you say what Cobb did is MAYBE an example anyways. If any team did that to us I have a feeling you go "wow why didn't we think of that?!"

Besides, when it comes to holding the ball being how we create big plays, Mac doesn't call "hold the ball until everyone's off route on 2," that's Aaron's doing. But we aren't blaming Aaron for the lack of "scheming people open" only the fat man.

Its certainly an interesting conversation

Many fans are focused on pencil-whipping the opponent, while MM and other coaches talk about execution and fundamentals. Those aren't as interesting to football fans and certainly the chess match stuff is fun to dissect. Acrid Josher had a cool post on some chess-match stuff earlier

Here's an article from SI back in 2014 talking about great offensive minds

https://www.si.com/2014/12/02/nfl-mike-martz-adam-gase-mike-mccoy-mike-mccarthy-best-offensive-minds

Great football tickles Mike Martz. Outstanding audibles make him squeal. Well-drawn-up plays send him into man-crush mode. “You want to talk about a great coach?” he asks. “Check out Mike McCarthy.”

His level of preparation is what stands out the most. We watch only 30 seconds of Green Bay’s Week 5 victory over Minnesota before identifying something special."

Help On The Way....

Over the next month or so, the 3-1 Packers are gonna add these guys to the available column

Bakh, Bulaga, Daniels, House

Thomas

, Montgomery, cast-less Perry

Biegel, Goodson

(pick 2):  Barclay, Spriggs, Murphy

That's a lot of talent and if M. Adams can add something too...icing on the cake

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Help On The Way....

Over the next month or so, the 3-1 Packers are gonna add these guys to the available column

Thomas

Biegel, Goodson

That's a lot of talent and if M. Adams can add something too...icing on the cake

Could not agree more.  Why I am very happy with GB being 3-1 given the injury situation to key/top players.

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Help On The Way....

Thomas

Biegel, Goodson

Will the first 4 you mentioned in this post play tomorrow afternoon?  I sure hope so...

On 10/3/2017 at 3:26 PM, LargeFarva said:

I wouldnt say excels. Morgan is a reliable player but rarely forces any turnovers unless hes playing against Russell Wilson and overall is just an average tackler.

Archived