What team unexpectedly collapses this year

patriotsheatyan

Look for stats that a team benefitted from and will probably expect a regression toward mean

I'm talking fumbles against, strength of schedule, key player had a career year...etc.

Does anyone have those kind of stats?

Edit: Seen Cowherd (I know...lol) says Buffalo had an easy schedule last year and will face a tougher one + apparently the teams faced has loads of fumbles. Not sure if true and I don't expect BUF to collapse at all, but I guess the rationale makes sense

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Look for stats that a team benefitted from and will probably expect a regression toward mean

One such stat is pythagorean wins. If we compare it to actual wins, these are the teams whose record was inflated:

Team       Wins       Expected Wins     Difference  
GB 13 9.8 -3.2
SEA 11 8.2 -2.8
HOU 10 7.8 -2.2
NO 13 10.9 -2.1
OAK 7 5.2 -1.8
NYJ 7 5.6 -1.4
MIA 5 3.6 -1.4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

One such stat is pythagorean wins. If we compare it to actual wins, these are the teams whose record was inflated:

Team       Wins       Expected Wins     Difference  
GB 13 9.8 -3.2
SEA 11 8.2 -2.8
HOU 10 7.8 -2.2
NO 13 10.9 -2.1
OAK 7 5.2 -1.8
NYJ 7 5.6 -1.4
MIA 5 3.6 -1.4

Out of those three, I would say NO would be the most likely to dip. Brees is a year older (despite showing little decline thus far) with a much less insurance policy without any big additions this offseason. 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm talking fumbles against, strength of schedule, key player had a career year...etc.

Edit: Seen Cowherd (I know...lol) says Buffalo had an easy schedule last year and will face a tougher one + apparently the teams faced has loads of fumbles. Not sure if true and I don't expect BUF to collapse at all, but I guess the rationale makes sense

Allen fumbled a lot, like 14 times and only lost, I want to say 2? Something minuscule like that. 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'd recommend reading Bill Barnwell's articles on regression / improvement teams, listening to his podcasts covering that. I'm not sure what all stats that he uses to make his judgments, but he's been very accurate with his calls in the past. They mentioned his record in one of the recent podcasts with Mina Kimes. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, Joe_is_the_best said:

The Cowboys. They’ve added a bunch of names. Names don’t always translate to success. It would certainly be unexpected.

I like you're line of thinking, but they were incredibly mediocre last year so I'm not sure there's much to collapse from lol

If you go by Barnwell metrics then its probably the Seahawks.

• They were only +30 (8.2 expected wins)
  • They were 10-2 in one score games.
  • Their SOS was a very good 136-120 (.531) but it was top heavy.
    • They were 1-3 against the 13 or 14 win teams that boosted their SOS.
    • They were 10-2 against a schedule with an SOS of 83-109(.432)
    • They were also 3-3 against their division

Texans Maybe?

• They were -7 (7.8 expected wins)
  • 8-3 in one score games
  • Good SOS though 133-127 (.520)
    • They were 2-2 against the 12+ win teams on their schedule

Intangibles:

• Their coach is insanely bad.
  • They traded their best weapon
  • Their offense is relying on people who are constantly hurt. (Cooks head, Fuller's legs) or a huge question mark (David Johnson)
  • JJ Watt has missed half of the teams games over the last 4 years.