What team unexpectedly collapses this year

patriotsheatyan

57 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Question for the room: how much regression does it take to be a collapse?

Fair question.

I think if you’re a playoff team, projected to be one, and then perform worse/miss the playoffs and/or have a losing record, that counts (See: Eagles “Dream Team”, 2019 Browns, etc.).

So, for example, the 9-7 Titans going 7-9 or worse would be an example of pretty disappointing, whereas 5-11 would be a collapse...but some may say that’s a “collapse” at 7-9.

• Like 1

I find this tough to answer because even though I could see the Ravens being nowhere near as good as last year, I don't see them being flat-out terrible.

I'll go with the Packers or Seahawks I guess, but that would require either severe decline or injury to their QB's.

Patriots are a popular answer but it wouldn't be unexpected. Most people don't even have them winning the division.

Edited by Bolts223

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, weird flex, but OK.  I'm gonna be shocked if he keeps the starting job from Dobbs, frankly.

I'm still expecting him to convince a lot of doubters wrong eventually, I can see him having a Tannehill style arc where he finally gets to thrive after being traded to a less dysfunctional team (hopefully in less than 5 years from now). Minshew sharing QB duties with Foles again on the Bears would make for a hilarious storyline but i'm sure he could actually surprise in Nagy's offense.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Fair question.

I think if you’re a playoff team, projected to be one, and then perform worse/miss the playoffs and/or have a losing record, that counts (See: Eagles “Dream Team”, 2019 Browns, etc.).

So, for example, the 9-7 Titans going 7-9 or worse would be an example of pretty disappointing, whereas 5-11 would be a collapse...but some may say that’s a “collapse” at 7-9.

See, I think of a collapse as falling way short of expectations.  Since the Titans made a deep playoff run, I think two games back would be a collapse, but for a team that was 9-7 and missed the playoffs (or a team expected to be mediocre), I would think you'd need to go like 6-10.

2 hours ago, LeonKennedy said:

I'm still expecting him to convince a lot of doubters wrong eventually, I can see him having a Tannehill style arc where he finally gets to thrive after being traded to a less dysfunctional team (hopefully in less than 5 years from now). Minshew sharing QB duties with Foles again on the Bears would make for a hilarious storyline but i'm sure he could actually surprise in Nagy's offense.

He could work out later, and that wouldn't surprise me.  But to think he's going to be the difference maker, this year, in a division with two consistently winning teams (one with a very good QB) and probably three top to bottom better rosters is a bold opinion.

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

My actual answer is NO collapse.

Teams expected to be good will be good, teams expected to be bad will be bad. A little bit of variance, like 3 wins either way, but that's not conducive to a 'collapse'. Boring, I guess.

New Orleans collapse...

• Like 2

Chiefs 3-13. I said what i said. Subscribe, like or comment below. They rely on HFA and crowd noise more thab almost anyone. SB hangover, Mahomes got paid so he's all but guaranteed mediocre from here on out.  Biggest reason. The rise of Herbert.

Edited by Bearerofnews

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

Chiefs 3-13. I said what i said. Subscribe, like or comment below. They rely on HFA and crowd noise more thab almost anyone. SB hangover, Mahomes got paid so he's all but guaranteed mediocre from here on out.  Biggest reason. The rise of Herbert.

I was trying so hard to be with you until the Herbert part.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

Question for the room: how much regression does it take to be a collapse?

I don't know if you can quantify it fully but to me a team losing 3 or more games than the previous season, without a reason.  Would be a collapse.

What I mean by the reason, I can only explain in examples.  If the Patriots lose 3 more games in 2020 than they did in 2019, I would not count that as a collapse because they let their future  HOF QB walk.

However, if the Ravens lose 3 or more games in 2020, that would be a collapse because all indicators are they should be better in 2020.