What team unexpectedly collapses this year

patriotsheatyan

5 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Chiefs 3-13. I said what i said. Subscribe, like or comment below. They rely on HFA and crowd noise more thab almost anyone. SB hangover, Mahomes got paid so he's all but guaranteed mediocre from here on out.  Biggest reason. The rise of Herbert.

All teams rely on home field advantage... that is why they call it an advantage.

But the Chiefs were 7-1 on the road and 5-3 at home last year.  Seems like they didn't rely on HFA all that much.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

But the Chiefs were 7-1 on the road and 5-3 at home last year.  Seems like they didn't rely on HFA all that much.

7-1 on the road says it didn't matter at all for KC.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Chiefs 3-13. I said what i said. Subscribe, like or comment below. They rely on HFA and crowd noise more thab almost anyone. SB hangover, Mahomes got paid so he's all but guaranteed mediocre from here on out.  Biggest reason. The rise of Herbert.

How the hell do people mistake Mahomes for the kind of player who's only in it for the hustle? His contract is the richest in sports history and yet even though he had all the leverage to do so he's probably never actually going to be the top paid player in the league at any point over his career because he knows better than to throw his teammates under the bus for instant gratification. A big part of why he's been so scary to me as a divisional opponent is that he always seemed more likely than not to be the kind of guy who would take a pay cut for the sake of the team, now i'm possibly staring down 20 more regular season losses over the next decade to remind me that I was right.

On 7/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, MonserinNC said:

Plus the super bowl hangover

FWIW, this is actually overblown in recent times. Out of the last 10 super bowl losers, 8 made the playoffs the following year, 9 had winning records. 8 won at least 10 games, and half won at least 11. 5 won at least 1 playoff game. 

There's some regression, because winning is hard and it's hard to match a season where you were the second best team in the league, but losing the super bowl hasn't led to collapses very often the following season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

FWIW, this is actually overblown in recent times. Out of the last 10 super bowl losers, 8 made the playoffs the following year, 9 had winning records. 8 won at least 10 games, and half won at least 11. 5 won at least 1 playoff game. 

There's some regression, because winning is hard and it's hard to match a season where you were the second best team in the league, but losing the super bowl hasn't led to collapses very often the following season. 

That's right.

B|

3 hours ago, Forge said:

IMO the Super Bowl hangover is more about the fact that playoffs are tough, and if you go to the Super Bowl one year, but lose to the first team you play in the postseason the next, it'll look like a big stumble, when it's really just a great example of parity.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

What was your prediction for them again last year?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

All teams rely on home field advantage... that is why they call it an advantage.

yes... all teams... O.o

7 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

They win a lot in general

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

7-1 on the road says it didn't matter at all for KC.

it would kind of depend on the schedule

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

yes... all teams... O.o

They win a lot in general

it would kind of depend on the schedule

Depend on the schedule? I mean teams can only play who they are scheduled, but it was directed to the comment that they depend on HFA more than any other team and that was not true last year.  People can try to justify however they want.

And yes all teams depend on HFA.  Again, that is why they call it an advantage and that is why teams try to get HFA throughout the playoffs.

1 minute ago, coffeedrinker said:

Depend on the schedule? I mean teams can only play who they are scheduled, but it was directed to the comment that they depend on HFA more than any other team and that was not true last year.  People can try to justify however they want.

Just relating it to the Cowboys that year they went like 8-0 on the road and 4-4 at home (or something crazy). All of our cake games were road games. It was just a weird scheduling thing.

Was Mahomey hurt for the home or road games? Do you know?

1 minute ago, coffeedrinker said:

And yes all teams depend on HFA.  Again, that is why they call it an advantage and that is why teams try to get HFA throughout the playoffs.

We have no HFA. It is well known. Teams like the Chiefs and Hawks do. We dont, 1/2 the stadium is corporate seats given to old rich people as perks... who then scalp them to rivals. Our HFA is when we play teams in California or the Redskins.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just relating it to the Cowboys that year they went like 8-0 on the road and 4-4 at home (or something crazy). All of our cake games were road games. It was just a weird scheduling thing.

Was Mahomey hurt for the home or road games? Do you know?

We have no HFA. It is well known. Teams like the Chiefs and Hawks do. We dont, 1/2 the stadium is corporate seats given to old rich people as perks... who then scalp them to rivals. Our HFA is when we play teams in California or the Redskins.

I know he was hurt when my Colts went to Arrowhead and beat them. :)  My wife is a Chiefs fan so it was a like a double victory.  Outside of that, I'd have to look.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, MonserinNC said:

Niners- They pretty much maxed out at every position last year, hell, Mostert went from practice squad player to demanding a trade haha, thats how good of a year everyone had. Plus the super bowl hangover

I mean Mostert just got far more carries than he's ever gotten. But in limited carries the prior year, he did exactly what he did last season. 

But maxed out at every position? Not really sure I understand that? The team was dominant due to having depth at almost every position and being well coached. They went 13-3 and made the SB despite having one of the worst injury luck in the league. 

Can they slip next season? Sure, especially if Jimmy gets hurt but the team is still loaded with almost the entire coaching staff returning so they should be one of the best teams in the league again. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Mostert just got far more carries than he's ever gotten. But in limited carries the prior year, he did exactly what he did last season. 

But maxed out at every position? Not really sure I understand that? The team was dominant due to having depth at almost every position and being well coached. They went 13-3 and made the SB despite having one of the worst injury luck in the league. 

Can they slip next season? Sure, especially if Jimmy gets hurt but the team is still loaded with the almost the entire coaching staff returning so they should be one of the best teams in the league again. 

I get you're a fan but you guys totally maxed out every position. Nick Bosa basically had the greatest rookie season ever, a sort of no name OL had a great year, Emmanuel Sanders dominated, Sherman turned back time, and a group of DL's who had been together for a while all of a sudden became the best in the league.

Like I said, I get you're a fan but its not really hard to understand you guys caught lighting in a bottle last year. I dont mean that as an insult, I save my hate for the Packers haha