Rookie Watch! - Whose making the biggest Impact?

DoleINGout

usatsi_13392928.jpg?w=1000&h=720

16. Ohio State TE RaShod Berry (UDFA) — He was part of a four-person committee at tight end for the Buckeyes, who don't typically feature the position in the offense. If Berry is to make this roster, it will be largely through his prowess as a blocker.

gettyimages-1182924141-e1587852970939.jp

15. Memphis center Dustin Wodard (No. 230 overall) — David Andrews has reassured the media and fans that he will return to the starting role in 2020 after missing last season with blood clots in his lungs. If, somehow, his health keeps him off the field, perhaps the Patriots will open the competition at the position, which would put Woodard in a good position to start.

gettyimages-1056907664.jpg?w=1000&h=667

14. Michigan State QB Brian Lewerke (UDFA) — The quarterback job is up for grabs in New England, but Lewerke is probably the fifth man of four on the depth chart.

usatsi_11891914.jpg?w=1000&h=711

13. Louisiana Tech QB J'Mar Smith (UDFA) — Here's the fourth quarterback on the depth chart. Smith looks like a nice developmental option for the Patriots, who will probably stash him on the practice squad in 2020. He's got a strong arm and good athleticism, but needs work managing a blitz and reading the defense. He could make for a good project for Josh McDaniels.

usatsi_9533504.jpg?w=1000&h=616

12. Auburn WR Will Hasting (UDFA) — His production in college isn't impressive, but he was Jarrett Stidham's slot receiver at Auburn. Perhaps New England can build upon that connection, if they go with Stidham as the starter.

gettyimages-870249666-1.jpg?w=1000&h=682

11. Wakeforest OL Justin Herron (No. 195) — The Patriots always need versatile offensive linemen. That's what Herron is. The sixth-round draft choice may not be ready to contribute on day one (or ever). But perhaps with seasoning, he could be a serviceable backup.

usatsi_13858579-1.jpg?w=1000&h=750

10. Wyoming LB Cassh Maluia (No. 204) — He could earn his way onto the roster and the field in 2020, if he finds ways to contribute on special teams.

usatsi_11172608.jpg?w=1000&h=649

9. Boston College TE Jake Burt (UDFA) — He's a solid blocking tight end that the Patriots made a financial priority to sign.

gettyimages-864792018.jpg?w=1000&h=574

8. Miami WR Jeff Thomas (UDFA) — His story will likely be widely told between now and training camp. Thomas is a physically gifted speedster, who had an impressive 2019 season after dealing with suspensions and a brief dismissal from the Hurricanes program. If he can handle the Patriots' work environment, he could thrive. If his character questions prove to be character issues, he won't last long.

gettyimages-1087879268-e1587844870472.jp

7. Michigan guard Michael Onwenu (No. 185) — Joe Thuney never misses snaps, but the Patriots could consider trading him, even if that seems to be growing unlikely. Even so, injuries happen. And if they do, Onwenu will be in competition with Hjalte Froholdt, among others, to serve as the top backup.

gettyimages-1176889042-e1587841899620.jp

6. Virginia Tech FB/TE Dalton Keene (No. 101) — He's the easiest rookie to get excited about. He's also the toughest projection, considering his significant athleticism. Keene is a monster, with a unique combination of size, speed, agility and elusiveness. But he didn't run many downfield routes, and therefore projects more as a fullback than a tight end. New England will have to put in work to convert him to a true tight end role.

usatsi_13947508-e1587771439395.jpg?w=100

5. Lenoir Rhyne safety Kyle Dugger (No. 37) — He was the top pick, but he's not necessarily a surefire contributor on Day 1. He's coming from the Division II level and may need time to develop. What's more, the safety position has plenty of talent, with Devin McCoury, Patrick Chung, Adrian Phillips and Terrence Brooks.

usatsi_13701058.jpg?w=1000&h=656

4. Alabama LB Anfernee Jennings (No. 87) — New England needs a run-stopping outside linebacker who can hold ground on first and second down. John Simon has one side of the defense, and Jennings figures to hold down the other.

usatsi_13430747.jpg?w=1000&h=667

3. Michigan LB Josh Uche (No. 60) — There's some question about where he'll contribute, but there's no question about how much. Whether at inside linebacker, outside linebacker or defensive end, Uche should have a big role in 2020.

usatsi_13702976-1.jpg?w=1000&h=667

2. UCLA TE Devin Asiasi (No. 91) -- The Patriots' biggest hole on their roster is at tight end, and Asiasi is their biggest investment at the position this offseason. They traded up for him in the third round, because he projects naturally to New England's offense as a player who can attack the middle of the field as a pass-catcher and run blocker.

gettyimages-1085153546.jpg?w=1000&h=667

1. Marshall kicker Justin Rohrwasser (No. 159) -- No one wants to talk about special teams, but Rohrwasser could be the second leading scorer behind the starting quarterback (Stidham or someone else). Considering Rohrwasser has no competition at the kicker position, he is projects to be the day one starter, which means close games may soon rest upon his shoulders.

I like the UDFA's and late picks but the earlier ones... bleh.

Asiasi? Yeah. Solid find. I think he'll be a contributor as a rookie.

Keene and Dugger, I can't justify those picks for the Pats. Average.

Uche and Jennings, I have a little higher expectations for. Slightly above average.

The kicker just rubs me the wrong way. His competition is the court of public opinion as far as I'm concerned and if his teammates don't like him for his past, then it is yet another terribly ill advised draft pick.

20 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Asiasi? Yeah. Solid find. I think he'll be a contributor as a rookie.

I think he was a major steal in the draft. I see big things from him. I thought he was the best TE in the draft.

Keene and Dugger, I can't justify those picks for the Pats. Average.

Dugger   IMO was one of the worst picks in the draft. I don't care if he turns out to be AP for 50 years. It was a complete gamble at that position in the draft. There is also the time it will take to get him up to speed. Sits a year and now he has 3 years lefty on his contract! Starts to show some promise he signs elsewhere with a big contract. Take a look at what the Pats passed on. Look at especially 44, 45 picks.

38. Carolina Panthers select Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, from Penn State.

39. Miami Dolphins select Robert Hunt, G from Louisiana

40. Houston Texans (from Arizona Cardinals) select Ross Blacklock, DT from Texas

41. Indianapolis Colts (from Cleveland Browns) select Jonathan Taylor, RB from Wisconsin

42. Jacksonville Jaguars select Laviska Shenault, Jr. WR from Colorado.

43. Chicago Bears (from Las Vegas Raiders) select Cole Kmet, TE from Notre Dame

44. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts) select Grant Delpit, S from LSU

45. Tampa Bay Buccaneers  select Antoine Winfield JR, S from Minnesota

46. Denver Broncos select K.J. Hamler, WR from Penn State

-------------------------------------

Keene however was a great pick IMO. A little early based on info on the draft.  He was one of my sleepers. He made for the Pats offenses. Under utilized at VT.

The kicker just rubs me the wrong way. His competition is the court of public opinion

I don't give a crap what the media wrote on this kid. That is what we deal with in today's media world. He goes the camp they brake his chops and life goes on.  No big deal.

• Like 1

Asiasi is my pick. We need him to be TE1 as quick as possible, and I think he's capable. 

As for the Dugger pick - I was disappointed too, but it might be a case of BB being on to a trend. Teams want these freaks in that LB/S mould - we now have one.

Edited by Hunter2_1

42 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Belichick does a pretty subpar job at executing in the draft though.

I didn't like the pick. Still don't really - a handful of guys taken after him are going to be studs. But I'm just saying it MIGHT be him reading the tea-leaves again.....but I don't trust his drafting, no. Same as you I guess.

29 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I didn't like the pick. Still don't really - a handful of guys taken after him are going to be studs. But I'm just saying it MIGHT be him reading the tea-leaves again.....but I don't trust his drafting, no. Same as you I guess.

6 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Your right however lets hope its not a Jordan Richards pick!

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the player. Doesn't mean the pick was terrible. Two things can be true at once.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, DoleINGout said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the player. Doesn't mean the pick was terrible. Two things can be true at once.

We are all rooting for him however IMHO its a terrible pick. I just read he's 24 yrs old! 4 year contract now he is 28 years old which might be close to the end of his career. There is more info that the Pats have on him  however what I can by reading up on him is that he killed it at the combine, whoopie it mean crap and he had a good week at the SR Bowl.

What bugs me most is trader Bill took the biggest risk on the safeties that were available. You had Grant Delpit, Xavier McKinney (trade) and Antoine Winfield Jr.. I  really like Winfield  You also had Jeremy Chinn later in the draft if your looking for a big safety.

Note   end of his career., Comment based on the NFL average career stats.

• Like 1