Redskins Are Changing Their Name

ILoveTheVikings

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It'll probably be Warriors - didn't Snyder have a patent to that name?

He had a trademark for Warriors for an AFL team but let it lapse.  There is a guy in the area who gobbled up that trademark, as well as close to 50 others, to hold against him so they are probably negotiating that one.  

In any event, I have my season tickets paid for this year, but if they whitewash the whole history of the team as well as just the name, I'm not going to be a fan anymore.  Erasing the name, colors, fight song, not being able to say Redskins on past broadcasts or not being able to wear the old gear to games, especially with my personal connection to things.........it's going to feel too much like an expansion team.  

A lot of Redskins fans are going to be in the same boat, and I don't judge people either way.  

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He had a trademark for Warriors for an AFL team but let it lapse.  There is a guy in the area who gobbled up that trademark, as well as close to 50 others, to hold against him so they are probably negotiating that one.  

In any event, I have my season tickets paid for this year, but if they whitewash the whole history of the team as well as just the name, I'm not going to be a fan anymore.  Erasing the name, colors, fight song, not being able to say Redskins on past broadcasts or not being able to wear the old gear to games, especially with my personal connection to things.........it's going to feel too much like an expansion team.  

A lot of Redskins fans are going to be in the same boat, and I don't judge people either way.  

They're going to take the name off everything. But I can't imagine them removing it from past broadcasts or not allowing old gear to be worn. If anything, society will push for not wearing old gear. I have to think they keep the Redskins name on any in-stadium hall of honor type area they may have. I'm not familiar with the stadium, so I'm not sure what they have.

I could see a full on rebrand though with new name, colors, etc. I don't know the fight song so I won't even guess.

Just now, mse326 said:

Nonsense. Expansion teams have hope for the future

As I just said in our forum, we have an expansion team roster and a mediocre coach so we are just about there.  You are right about hope though.  I have absolutely no hope or confidence that Snyder gets this rebranding right.  He's failed at just about everything he's done as owner of the team so far. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

They're going to take the name off everything. But I can't imagine them removing it from past broadcasts or not allowing old gear to be worn. If anything, society will push for not wearing old gear. I have to think they keep the Redskins name on any in-stadium hall of honor type area they may have. I'm not familiar with the stadium, so I'm not sure what they have.

I could see a full on rebrand though with new name, colors, etc. I don't know the fight song so I won't even guess.

The fight song is a bit of contention given it's history, but it's been adapted from what is used to be.  My own thoughts- given that it was written by the wife of the original owner who they have erased from team history, and had a couple.......lets say less than stellar lines in it- is that it goes away completely.  

One of these things on their own........not a big deal.  Two, I could handle it.  But everything all at once?  And the team sucking so bad over the past 30 years?  My ability to care just doesn't exist anymore. 

• Like 1