WaPo article expected Thursday detailing major issues inside Redskins Park

Hard to imagine how anyone could be worse than the Redskins’ pro personnel guy that has been in place since 2006. Has anyone possibly put together a worse history of evaluating pro players (via FAs and trades, etc.) than the Redskins during that span? Their track record in that area is a laugh riot comedy of errors. 

If anything, I’d suspect the bad news is they are finally facing up to whatever blackmail this guy had on Snyder or the organization to allow him to remain in that role for more than a decade of outright folly. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I cannot express how much I dislike the fact that Rivera is so involved with this.

This. It boggles the mind, on two levels. First, it’s still unfathomable to me that the new football coach — who we hired in January and never played or coached a single game with the Washington Redskins — is essentially one of two people involved in changing the old name and choosing a replacement.

Second, with all the hats Rivera is wearing, it looks like maybe he’ll get around to thinking about actual football sometime around October. He’s still got to negotiate that new stadium deal, engineer some new parking lot designs to use at FedEx until the new stadium is built, compose a new fight song, install some new AstroTurf, and taste test all the new beer and food options at the concession stands for quality and determination of pricing. 

• Like 3

Just now, e16bball said:

This. It boggles the mind, on two levels. First, it’s still unfathomable to me that the new football coach — who we hired in January and never played or coached a single game with the Washington Redskins — is essentially one of two people involved in changing the old name and choosing a replacement.

Second, with all the hats Rivera is wearing, it looks like maybe he’ll get around to thinking about actual football sometime around October. He’s still got to negotiate that new stadium deal, engineer some new parking lot designs to use at FedEx until the new stadium is built, compose a new fight song, install some new AstroTurf, and taste test all the new beer and food options at the concession stands for quality and determination of pricing. 

Hey, the grass looked great last year, whatever they did worked out well and was unlike what we saw before, so at least he doesn't have to worry about that......and judging from the state of Carolina's field at times, his ideas might not be an improvement. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hey, the grass looked great last year, whatever they did worked out well and was unlike what we saw before, so at least he doesn't have to worry about that......and judging from the state of Carolina's field at times, his ideas might not be an improvement. 

Nice. Cross that one off the list ☑️

...unfortunately, just realized that he’s needed up on a scaffolding to scrape all those Redskins helmets off the Ring of Fame ASAP, and when he gets a minute, it would be nice if he could get to work on selecting the flowers and ordering the personalized whiskey bottles for Dan’s upcoming “Return to America” gala. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

...unfortunately, just realized that he’s needed up on a scaffolding to scrape all those Redskins helmets off the Ring of Fame ASAP, and when he gets a minute, it would be nice if he could get to work on selecting the flowers and ordering the personalized whiskey bottles for Dan’s upcoming “Return to America” gala. 

And with Covid, they probably need to tarp down more seats.  Maybe demolish the upper deck entirely.

42 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Someone from the Panthers is being brought in. Don Warren will be our new Pro Scout. I'm not sure how to feel with all these Rivera guy's. From a far it just seems like Rivera just replaced everyone with his old staff. 

Is he related to Donnie Warren one of our best TEs in team history? Either way, awesome name!

19 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29692f09e999b5b499ec

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Did you guys miss having to "road test" the new team logo-ed toilet paper, yet? Pretty sure that's high on the list.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I don’t think Rivera will be involved in the stadium, that’s a Dan thing and his minority owners like Diamond Capitol, Fed Ex & NVR Homes. The Redskins also have a Chief Financial Officer. That could be something that was held over Dan’s head as well. He’s trying to get a new stadium w/ their assistance & he can’t lose 40% of that revenue & their political clout to help him get a new stadium.

Edited by turtle28

43 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Exactly.  I noted this when he came in.  The only area where I think we upgraded from those coaches are Del Rio as DC and Matsko on the OL.  Right now, I was down on Turner but like him a lot more, but he's still a push with KOC right now.  The rest have a lot to prove because the Panthers were a sub .500 team since they went 15-1 in 2015, and Rivera has four winning seasons in nine years there.  

I would feel a whole lot better if there was some more variation in his staff.  

Rivera better got the Turner hire correct. Haskins and O'Connell were making progress week by week after he took over play calling. I agree as well, I would feel better with more variation in this staff as well. 

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Rivera will be involved in the stadium, that’s a Dan thing and his minority owners like Fed Ex & NV Homes. That could be something that was held over Dan’s head as well. He’s trying to get a new stadium w/ their assistance & he can’t lose 40% of that revenue & their political clout to help him get a new stadium.

I think you  missed the joke

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Hard to imagine how anyone could be worse than the Redskins’ pro personnel guy that has been in place since 2006. Has anyone possibly put together a worse history of evaluating pro players (via FAs and trades, etc.) than the Redskins during that span? Their track record in that area is a laugh riot comedy of errors. 

If anything, I’d suspect the bad news is they are finally facing up to whatever blackmail this guy had on Snyder or the organization to allow him to remain in that role for more than a decade of outright folly. 

I understand your point, but who did they replace him with? A guy with ties to Rivera and the Panthers. Too much familiar for me when Rivera isn't a Belichick or Andy Reid type HC in my book. He still has some growing to do of his own.