WaPo article expected Thursday detailing major issues inside Redskins Park

25 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

“Whoa guys, have some huge news that I can’t tell you, and may not even know what it is, but I will take a victory lap for sort of reporting it later.” - Every 106.7 personality 

Kevin Sheehan did the same thing. This has been a news strategy for over 50 years to get people to hang around and tune in for ratings.

I know this is a joke but I think 106.7 gets a bad wrap, ppl elude to them being racist daily on twitter and I don’t think they are. Just bc they don’t buy the hype all the time coming out of Redskins Park and never have since they formed the station, doesn’t make them racist, they’re just not brainwashed like 1/2 of Redskins Nation. Like their questioning of Haskins is totally legit. I don’t always agree with their points but they’re legit points.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This. It boggles the mind, on two levels. First, it’s still unfathomable to me that the new football coach — who we hired in January and never played or coached a single game with the Washington Redskins — is essentially one of two people involved in changing the old name and choosing a replacement.

Second, with all the hats Rivera is wearing, it looks like maybe he’ll get around to thinking about actual football sometime around October. He’s still got to negotiate that new stadium deal, engineer some new parking lot designs to use at FedEx until the new stadium is built, compose a new fight song, install some new AstroTurf, and taste test all the new beer and food options at the concession stands for quality and determination of pricing. 

The only coach, nay person besides the owner, who should be involved in choosing new name is Coach Gibbs. 

Edited by FosterTheSkins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I guess bc I don’t see one and I don’t see a haha or an Lol 😂 which always tells you that someone is joking.

It was a joke. I don’t actually think Ron is setting the concession menu or composing pieces of music. 

However, it was a joke with a point, which is that I’m tired of them asking him to do all this PR and business side nonsense and they need to just let the man get the football team ready to play already. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It was a joke. I don’t actually think Ron is setting the concession menu or composing pieces of music. 

However, it was a joke with a point, which is that I’m tired of them asking him to do all this PR and business side nonsense and just let the man get the football team ready to play. 

That's why I was excited about the hire. This extra stuff has me concerned. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

That's why I was excited about the hire. This extra stuff has me concerned. 

I think - perhaps you boyos are being a bit critical. Ron's ability to focus on football is moreso impacted by Covid-19 than other areas of interest. 

6 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I think - perhaps you boyos are being a bit critical. Ron's ability to focus on football is moreso impacted by Covid-19 than other areas of interest. 

Which is why he should be even more focused on the product on the field and getting the players ready. Not sure what being the coach has to do with spearheading the name change.

• Like 1

I am not a coach (nor have I ever been). So I am just curious, given the current constraints - what exactly more should he (or could he) be doing? It just seems that we are being a bit critical. So far - I have read a lot of "Shouldn't be doing this" and not "Could be doing this."

29 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I am not a coach (nor have I ever been). So I am just curious, given the current constraints - what exactly more should he (or could he) be doing? It just seems that we are being a bit critical. So far - I have read a lot of "Shouldn't be doing this" and not "Could be doing this."

I'm not an NFL coach so I don't know the battle rhythm of all 32 NFL teams (though I have coached sports teams before). But it seems to me that 31 other coaches are focused on their teams and doing things off the field that they believe will produce wins on the field.

I don't want my coach involved in anything that doesn't have to do with the players and them getting the knowledge and reps (once we're in camp) they will need to do, to do their jobs once the games start. If the coach is branching out to perform Front Office work and not devoting himself full time to his job as coach, that is an organizational mistake (I've turned around quite a few programs in my day job, and can recognize/mitigate risks, and this has a big neon sign that says "DANGER")

Right now, the current constraints are not much different than they would be without COVID. The players are not in camp yet and except for some players coming into Redskins Park to meet with coaches, there's not much different than mid-July 2019. With one notable exception...we're behind schedule in getting the players acclimated to the system and their mental reps because we had no Mini-camp or OTAs. He could be meeting with the players and coaches each day remotely  Or working with the team logistics to ensure that the players are protected as much as they can when they come to camp. Working with the equipment guys to ensure the gear is sanitized and they have a plan in place. These are just a few things (not the whole list) off the top of my head that a head coach should have responsibility for...because it actually involves getting and keeping players on the field and getting them to play at a high level. 

But instead, we have a head coach that is essentially spearheading the effort for the name change.

Why?

How is the name going to affect the play on the field? 

It doesn't. 

And since it doesn't, why is the head coach involved so deeply into it?

I posted before how to turn organizations around (which I've done repeatedly). One of the things I said was that the singular goal is to win games and win a Super Bowl. Anything else that detracts from that, should be run out of town. Let the Front Office handle the name change. They don't coach the team. The coach needs to stop worrying about the name on the front of the jersey and start worrying about coaching the players whose names are on the back.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

How is the name going to affect the play on the field? 

It doesn't. 

I've been thinking about this . I'm not so sure . All the negativity for so long gets in your head. You start to think - we don't deserve to win with this name so many people hate . It's like a little kid that's told all the time he is useless. He surely starts to believe it . 

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I've been thinking about this . I'm not so sure . All the negativity for so long gets in your head. You start to think - we don't deserve to win with this name so many people hate . It's like a little kid that's told all the time he is useless. He surely starts to believe it . 

These aren't kids. They're grown men. If the name affects how they play, then I want them off the team.