Jump to content

Recommended Posts

New year, new consoles, new 2K.  This year is a particularly exciting year for gaming due to the PS5 and Xbox Series X arriving this holiday.  Because there are new consoles coming later this year, the process for buying 2K21 is a bit more complex than normal.  I'll provide a detailed graphic that shows all the necessary information:

o3F3TX9.jpg

Essentially, if you purchase the $99.99 edition of 2K21 (Mamba Forever Edition) you will receive a free upgrade to the standard edition of NBA 2K21 for your next gen console.  For example, if you buy the Mamba Forever Edition on the Xbox One, you will receive the standard edition of 2K21 as an upgrade on the Xbox Series X.  Same goes for buying the Mamba Forever Edition on the PS4 then getting the standard edition of the game on PS5.

Also, all of your VC, MyTeam points, MyTeam tokens and cards will transfer from current gen to next gen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people are upset that the standard edition of NBA 2K21 is $69.99 in the United States (up from $59.99).  However, price increases for console generations have happened in the past.  Games cost more to make, etc. 

People are also upset that you cannot buy the standard edition of 2K21 and receive an upgrade for free like other games are doing.  The reason this is the case is because of this. 

Quote from exec VP:

"We get the hardware very early from Sony and Microsoft so we’ve been working on it for a long time. We are very excited about what it lets us do, both visually and creatively. I think everyone will be blown away, I am very excited by what I’ve seen.

We believe we are the only developer that is making a game exclusively for the next-generation systems. We have heard most other top franchises are up-resing textures and up-resing resolutions and LOD. We have our entire NBA team dedicated to specifically the next-generation version."

Unlike games such as Avengers, Madden, and Cyberpunk - which will more than likely just be mostly graphical and frame rate upgrades, NBA 2K21 on the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be exclusively made for next gen.  Thus, it's a different game from the ground up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, showtime said:

A lot of people are upset that the standard edition of NBA 2K21 is $69.99 in the United States (up from $59.99).  However, price increases for console generations have happened in the past.  Games cost more to make, etc. 

People are also upset that you cannot buy the standard edition of 2K21 and receive an upgrade for free like other games are doing.  The reason this is the case is because of this. 

Quote from exec VP:

"We get the hardware very early from Sony and Microsoft so we’ve been working on it for a long time. We are very excited about what it lets us do, both visually and creatively. I think everyone will be blown away, I am very excited by what I’ve seen.

We believe we are the only developer that is making a game exclusively for the next-generation systems. We have heard most other top franchises are up-resing textures and up-resing resolutions and LOD. We have our entire NBA team dedicated to specifically the next-generation version."

Unlike games such as Avengers, Madden, and Cyberpunk - which will more than likely just be mostly graphical and frame rate upgrades, NBA 2K21 on the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be exclusively made for next gen.  Thus, it's a different game from the ground up.

For the people who don't speak executive.

"We want more money and we found an excuse to get more money, now give us more money"

"We believe we are the only developer making a game exclusively for next gen systems" we all know he's lying, we all know launch titles were in development 3 years minimum before 2020. 

it's not a different game it's more than likely going to be 2K21 with some updated graphics and it might look better but it's not gonna blow your sweat off. 

I can understand an actual price upgrade if the development costs go up, the way to distribute games goes up (I.E cartridges after Nintendo used discs) but the games do not cost any more to make than they did last gen, the physical media hasn't changed outside of being a slightly higher capacity blu ray disc which isn't gonna cost more for publishers. 

It's b.s 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Xmad said:

For the people who don't speak executive.

"We want more money and we found an excuse to get more money, now give us more money"

"We believe we are the only developer making a game exclusively for next gen systems" we all know he's lying, we all know launch titles were in development 3 years minimum before 2020. 

it's not a different game it's more than likely going to be 2K21 with some updated graphics and it might look better but it's not gonna blow your sweat off. 

I can understand an actual price upgrade if the development costs go up, the way to distribute games goes up (I.E cartridges after Nintendo used discs) but the games do not cost any more to make than they did last gen, the physical media hasn't changed outside of being a slightly higher capacity blu ray disc which isn't gonna cost more for publishers. 

It's b.s

A game like Spider-Man Miles Morales was made for the PS5, but he's not talking about games like that.  He's talking about stuff like Madden and Avengers offering free upgrades.  Those two games will most likely be exactly what he said in that quote...."up-resing textures and up-resing resolutions..." You're saying that 2K21 on next gen consoles will just be updated graphics.  In that quote, that's exactly what he said it's not going to be.  It'll obviously have updated graphics, but it's more than just that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, showtime said:

A game like Spider-Man Miles Morales was made for the PS5, but he's not talking about games like that.  He's talking about stuff like Madden and Avengers offering free upgrades.  Those two games will most likely be exactly what he said in that quote...."up-resing textures and up-resing resolutions..." You're saying that 2K21 on next gen consoles will just be updated graphics.  In that quote, that's exactly what he said it's not going to be.  It'll obviously have updated graphics, but it's more than just that.

Yeah they'll have.....higher res textures probably 1-2 more tris, BETTER SWEAT PHYSICS, EXCLUSIVE SKINS+DLC.

It's marketing b.s to justify you paying an extra $70 for the same fricking game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not free. They are charging you $40 more to get it over the base version of the PS4 game. So they are giving you $30 off the next gen price. This is a big FAIL compared to what the rest of the industry is doing. Madden will be the same game, free upgrade, whatever. Cyberpunk will be offering a free upgrade for a PS5/Series X port, and it will come out probably a full year later... this will come out months after the PS4 2k21. 

As for the price increase in general, I don't care. It was bound to happen, inflation exists lol. But coming from 2k is rich considering their MTX. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Man, games have cost $60 for so long, I wouldn't even consider $80 an overpayment at this point.  

Plus, I would pay more money for a single player game with a ton of content anyway as a way to support the game being made.  

Totally. I would happily pay the increased price for a game without MTX. For games where a huge portion of revenue is MTX, they should not be charging the increased price, sorry but I will jut never agree with that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Totally. I would happily pay the increased price for a game without MTX. For games where a huge portion of revenue is MTX, they should not be charging the increased price, sorry but I will jut never agree with that. 

What is MTX?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, showtime said:

Quote from exec VP:

 

"We get the hardware very early from Sony and Microsoft so we’ve been working on it for a long time. We are very excited about what it lets us do, both visually and creatively. I think everyone will be blown away, I am very excited by what I’ve seen.

We believe we are the only developer that is making a game exclusively for the next-generation systems. We have heard most other top franchises are up-resing textures and up-resing resolutions and LOD. We have our entire NBA team dedicated to specifically the next-generation version."

Wonder what new gambling mechanics they will used to swindle kids out of money on the PS5,  

However, I will say that if they DID build the game up from the ground up on the next gen, I will give them props....because we know damn well know Madden will be largely the same, regardless of what their pre-rendered "gameplay" trailers look like. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:35 AM, JBURGE said:

Totally. I would happily pay the increased price for a game without MTX. For games where a huge portion of revenue is MTX, they should not be charging the increased price, sorry but I will jut never agree with that. 

After the success of Fortnite, I don't know why any game with microtransactions isn't free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

After the success of Fortnite, I don't know why any game with microtransactions isn't free.

We're seeing the shift this way.... I guess it depends on the amount of production that goes into the game. Fortnite is entirely reliant on micro-transactions and season's passes, while NBA can be played without any at all. I would assume that just mtx for 2k isn't making enough on its own, but enough is subjective. I have no issue with a combination of the two, but most companies fail to do it as I and a lot of people like.

I would say the most recent cod (Modern Warfare) has done it the best - full priced game that gives you everything. Then mtx is cosmetic only, and they added a seasons pass which again is essentially cosmetic only. You only have to pay the base game to get the most out of it, and you also can play the BR without paying anything. I support that fully, and have even bought a couple seasons passes because of it. The game is still a mess tho

Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: microtransactions the best customer focused solution would be to offer two games: one for a base price without microtransactions. All micro stuff would come unlocked. One for free full of microtransactions. 

Yeah some people will take the free one and not buy any micro. But I still feel they'd come out ahead. 

I'd pay $100 or more for the micro free game. The games that I grew up with that had great gameplay experiences and not gambling fluff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...