Ghosts of Tsushima

Spartacus

3 hours ago, biggio7 said:

I'm really thinking about picking this up. Is it like New Assassins Creed or OG Assassins Creed? I'm not a fan of using the R3. It always feels clunky.

It is not like the new assassins creed but more so the old ones. Made by the same developer who created Second Son which was probably the first great game for the PS4.  

From the initial reviews it seems to have combat more akin to a mix of the original AC games, Dark Souls, with a splash of Sekiro.  The combat is apparently extremely fun and rewarding but from the sounds of the review the open world tropes drag it down some. I'm buying it to preload today. Reviews seem to rate it anywhere between 7/10 & 9/10 depending on if the reviewer highlights the open world collectathon tropes or the combat more. 

Also every review has hinted at it most likely being up there with Last of Us 2 & God of War as one of the best looking games of this generation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

People saying it's more Assassins Creed than Assassins Creed is now. 

I think people may be overdoing it with the hype because of the setting - but we'll see. Gameplay looks decent. Setting is indeed beautiful. 

Was reading that it was kinda light on content like those earlier AC games too. But that was only a couple headline reviews.

Looks pretty though. Love the setting.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Was reading that it was kinda light on content like those earlier AC games too. But that was only a couple headline reviews.

Looks pretty though. Love the setting.

All over the board as far as I have seen. They all seem to point out that there is some basic filler in the open world but I have heard that the side missions are really good and then other reviewers saying they are generic but overall if you like open world games it looks like a good one. Personally my favorite review (ACG) seemed to love it and I am usually in lockstep with his views. I suggest checking him out if you haven't. 

Edited by Spartacus

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

All over the board as far as I have seen. They all seem to point out that there is some basic filler in the open world but I have heard that the side missions are really good and then other reviewers saying they are generic but overall if you like open world games it looks like a good one. 

It's too bad all of the reviews are saying some of the clear issues are with stealth and AI. I don't typically replay games, so even if they patch in some fixes over the next few months, I will probably be done with it by then

18 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It's too bad all of the reviews are saying some of the clear issues are with stealth and AI. I don't typically replay games, so even if they patch in some fixes over the next few months, I will probably be done with it by then

Yea they can usually fix some of the AI stuff with patches. I think one of the problems is stealth is extremely hard to make feel natural unless you make the whole game about stealth. I mean in the last of us 2 which I think has been praised more for stealth I would run out in the middle of a group stealth kill one guy. Run 6 feet away and then stealth kill another guy who lost track of me in under 5 seconds. I think games that don't have dedicated stealth never do stealth that well. I plan on focusing on the sword fighting aspect over the stealth out side of maybe taking out a few guards or something anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Yea they can usually fix some of the AI stuff with patches. I think one of the problems is stealth is extremely hard to make feel natural unless you make the whole game about stealth. I mean in the last of us 2 which I think has been praised more for stealth I would run out in the middle of a group stealth kill one guy. Run 6 feet away and then stealth kill another guy who lost track of me in under 5 seconds. I think games that don't have dedicated stealth never do stealth that well. I plan on focusing on the sword fighting aspect over the stealth out side of maybe taking out a few guards or something anyway. 

I usually use a combo... will stealth take out people until I get caught. Or take a few out until it's manageable to fight the rest. I don't love sneaking around forever, makes the game too boring for me

Just now, JBURGE said:

I usually use a combo... will stealth take out people until I get caught. Or take a few out until it's manageable to fight the rest. I don't love sneaking around forever, makes the game too boring for me

Same boat. Outside of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory I have always been too bored with stealth games. 

Forbes offering a summary of other reviews on it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/07/14/ps4s-ghost-of-tsushima-reviews-are-here-and-they-are-good/amp/

All in all, what I’m hearing is that at worst, it’s a little too similar to open world games we’ve been playing the past generation. But at best, it could be considered a Game of the Year contender, and yet another feather in Sony’s “exclusive must-haves” cap, which may turn this into a franchise with Ghost 2 being an anticipated PS5 title a few years from now.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:27 AM, Spartacus said:

Anyone picking this up on Friday? Reviews are live today. Looks like a pretty good mix of Samurai and Assassins Creed. 

Holy **** I thought I had months til it released