Bodyguard Back - Peters resigned to 1yr deal; to play Guard (sike)

EaglesPeteC

5 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I don't get this line of thinking. Even as a dinosaur, he still played well last year, and is a cheaper short term option than paying a top dollar guy like Warford. 

New position, new side of the line, the inevitability that he is going to miss time. I get that we as a fan-base love JP but I am very skeptical that this works out. 

29 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

New position, new side of the line, the inevitability that he is going to miss time. I get that we as a fan-base love JP but I am very skeptical that this works out. 

I've been trying to figure out in my mind whether or not being in the interior is better or worse for his health.

Feel like a lot of his injuries came from him extending those legs and getting rolled up on...that's why he didnt like playing with Wiz, he was a thrower.
So that should happen less, but there would be more guys on the ground in front of him and he'll have way more going on both directions every play.
Not sure.

For the first time in his career he'll line up with no one right on him every snap. And the guys that do will be slower than DEs. So that should help him not get used up so fast..

Just now, Kiltman said:

I've been trying to figure out in my mind whether or not being in the interior is better or worse for his health.

Feel like a lot of his injuries came from him extending those legs and getting rolled up on...that's why he didnt like playing with Wiz, he was a thrower.
So that should happen less, but there would be more guys on the ground in front of him and he'll have way more going on both directions every play.
Not sure.

For the first time in his career he'll line up with no one right on him every snap. And the guys that do will be slower than DEs. So that should help him not get used up so fast..

I also have my doubts about him being able to pull consistently. 

I just don't think this is going to work out. 

Just now, Scalamania said:

I also have my doubts about him being able to pull consistently. 

I just don't think this is going to work out. 

I think athletically he can, he's always had great feet. 
It's definitely far from 1 to 1. Having quick feet and ability to pivot helps. We'll see.

I think him being at RG would actually help some of that.
Kelce downblocking an inside shaded DT and JP replacing Kelce's feet up to the next level or pulling further down the line requires a quick left foot, which he's had his whole career.
Just using it for a new purpose.

I don't think JP's athleticism should be questioned, especially at guard. It's kind of his calling card? Moving from tackle to guard is the usual transition for an aging player anyways. I have my doubts about him playing a full season, of course. But as for his ability to play RG, I have no real functional questions. If you can athletically play LT, you can most likely athletically play RG lol. Lord knows strength isn't an issue for him either. I don't think we'll miss a beat unless he gets hurt, which he will.

11 hours ago, Jeezla said:

JP was clearly not moving the same last year on running plays. He was still Peters in Pass-pro, but I don't think he'll offer much in the run game.

I thought Pryor would've been a better option, but I liked the idea of having Peters just in case Dillard struggled. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

22 hours ago, Scalamania said:

This team needs to learn how to move on. 

100% Agree, we really can´t look outside of what we already know

12 hours ago, Jeezla said:

JP was clearly not moving the same last year on running plays. He was still Peters in Pass-pro, but I don't think he'll offer much in the run game.

That´s gotta be concerning, because JP in his prime was a better run blocker than pass blocker.

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Remember that time Baldy hyped it up like we were about to make a huge signing but we just resigned a 38 year old tackle to play guard? 

Did he confirm that’s what he was talking about or are we assuming?

On 7/15/2020 at 10:16 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

I thought Pryor would've been a better option, but I liked the idea of having Peters just in case Dillard struggled. 

I'm 100% positive this was their line of thinking as well. Peters isn't guaranteed to start at RG if Pryor clearly looks better in TC. It's just the assumption. 

This also keeps JP in house as a sounding board for Dillard and insurance policy just in case. At no point do we want either Rookie OT from this class seing significant playing time. The other option now that Big V is gone was Mailata. A player not guaranteed to even make the roster. 

Why bring in another FA, who doesn't know the system, has had no OTA's, might only get a few weeks of TC with possibly No PS games? Sorry but this was a done deal the minute Brooks went down. I'm sure they were just haggling over money.

• 1 month later...