ARTMONK HOF

K Harmon tears ACL

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I guess, but didn't they say it was BAD/DEVASTATING news or something too? I mean... that really isn't. 

Good point, it could be either. Hard to guess what to believe between Redskins Park and the way some in the media report about them. So, it's anyone’s guess.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I would prefer Josh Gordon too. I’ve wanted him on the team for 5+ years.

I just haven’t seen Haskins throwing passes to Josh Gordon in the last couple weeks and taking selfies with him like he’s family. Which I have seen with Antonio Brown.

I’m always open to better ideas. The only good idea, at this juncture, is to find a way to go back in time and not sit on $30M in cap space when there were available upgrades in the passing game, so that one injury to a second-year WR wouldn’t toss you into the abyss of utter incompetence and gross negligence towards your young hopeful franchise QB. 

Agree on Gordon. Disagree on using cap space to bring in a bunch of high paid free agents we’d have to overpay for to get to play w/ arguably the rawest QB in the NFL. 

This past offseason should have never about winning with a bunch of near 30-year-old free agents who are overapaid and may not buy in to their new coaches' philosophy or fit into the new scheme.

The smart thing to do is do exactly what we did. Save the cap space for the future to re-sign our young core of players and to mostly continue to build through the draft.

I think they played it smart this last offseason.  Depending on what Haskins does this year & COVID issues will depend on what I think they should do next offseason in free agency.

Edited by turtle28

Free Agent WRs available:

Antonio Brown

Josh Gordon

Paul Richardson

Taylor Gabriel 

Chester Rogers

Demariyus Thomas

Jarius Wright

Chris Hogan

Ryan Grant

Jaron Brown

Russell Shepard 

Jordan Matthews 

Dontrell Inman

Justin Hardy

Aldrick Robinson

Rashad Ross

Is Robert Davis still signed by the Eagles, could we nab him from them?

• Like 1

Demariyus Thomas kinda got a bad shake last year (outside of his own issues). He MIGHT be worth looking at. 

• Like 1

I expect our HBs will be catching a lot of passes.  The young WRs will just have to step up.  Honestly I don't see the point in bringing in some washed up vet.  

• Like 2

One of my favorite "non-redskin" players is Cooper Kupp. I remember watching him at the Senior Bowl and thinking he was going to be a talent. Why is this relevant? Well, as I was going through the options mentioned here - those largely consisting of free agents - I was kind of thinking about Cooper Kupp (UFA 2020) but more specifically Robert Woods.

With the contracts that the Rams have been handing out, as well as a few players that are looking for a payday (A la Cooper Kupp, Johnson, Ramsey) -  do you guys think it would be possible to secure Woods in a trade for a late draft pick? Say like a 5th?  He is 28 years old, signed through 2021, somewhat reasonable cap hit, and would add a veteran presence. 

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Agree on Gordon. Disagree on using cap space to bring in a bunch of high paid free agents we’d have to overpay for to get to play w/ arguably the rawest QB in the NFL. 

This offseason should habe never about winning with a bunch of near 30-year-old free agents who are overapaid and may not buy in to their new coaches' philosophy or fit into the new scheme.

The smart thing to do is do exactly what we did. Save the cap space for the future to re-sign our young core of players and to mostly continue to build through the draft.

I think they played it smart this last offseason.  Depending on what Haskins does this year & COVID issues will depend on what I think they should do next offseason in free agency.

It isn’t about winning. It’s about giving the QB a chance. 

Haskins now has likely the worst WR situation in the NFL. He also has almost undoubtedly the worst TE situation in the NFL. He also has at least arguably the worst left side OL situation in the NFL. He’s got a brand new system, being implemented by an OC who has worked in that position for 4 full games at any level, and he’s had probably the most limited offseason since WWII to learn that system.

At what point will it become undeniably obvious that the Redskins have hung this kid out to dry? Kyler Murray’s team traded for DeAndre Hopkins to give him one of the best weapons in the league. Drew Lock’s team drafted Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler to give him two dynamic, explosive playmakers (in addition to Sutton and Fant). Daniel Jones’s team drafted an OT in the top 5 to help keep him upright. Dwayne Haskins’s team signed a slot CB and drafted a DE and a gadget RB. They also cut ties with the OC he seemed to click with. He had the worst supporting cast of all those guys last year, and somehow they’ve allowed it to get even worse heading into this season

They’ve operated with utter disregard for the idea of giving Haskins some meaningful help this season. I genuinely don’t know how else you could frame it. They had the opportunity to bring in better players who could help him take his game to the next level — and they chose frugality and inaction instead. Maybe he defies the odds and succeeds despite the supporting cast. I sure hope he does. If not, hopefully they’ll do more to put some talent around Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields next time we ride this carousel.

2 minutes ago, Troublez said:

One of my favorite "non-redskin" players is Cooper Kupp. I remember watching him at the Senior Bowl and thinking he was going to be a talent. Why is this relevant? Well, as I was going through the options mentioned here - those largely consisting of free agents - I was kind of thinking about Cooper Kupp (UFA 2020) but more specifically Robert Woods.

With the contracts that the Rams have been handing out, as well as a few players that are looking for a payday (A la Cooper Kupp, Johnson, Ramsey) -  do you guys think it would be possible to secure Woods in a trade for a late draft pick? Say like a 5th?  He is 28 years old, signed through 2021, somewhat reasonable cap hit, and would add a veteran presence. 

I love Robert Woods. But he’s 6th in receptions and 7th in yards in the NFL over the last two seasons. He’s been absolutely terrific for them — I don’t think you’re getting him for a 5th. 

I’d think at least a 2nd day pick. And I don’t think they’re probably looking to move him, not after dealing Cooks away already this year. They’re in bit of a cap mess for sure, but I don’t think they’re giving up on competing either. 

37 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I expect our HBs will be catching a lot of passes.  The young WRs will just have to step up.  Honestly I don't see the point in bringing in some washed up vet.  

Yeah, I've always believed that. I think we keep 5 RBs, I do wonder - and frankly hope - that Harmon’s injury forces them to use Antonio Gibson more in a WR role than as a RB/receiver out of the backfield and gadget guy.

Also, Mikissic is a former college WR who was switched to a pass-catching RB bc of his size. When we go 3 wide we could put Mikissic in the slot or at RB & Gibson in the slot or at RB and then have Steve Sims on the outside or in the slot, then, of course, we still have AGG as well as Quinn, Latimer and everyone is hopeful that Can Sims or one of our UDFA’s step up like Steven Sims did last year.

On top of that, we have Caleb Wilson who as I've been saying since March is a poor man's Jordan Reed type TE. He's not a blocker but, he was essentially a 3rd/4th WR on the field for UCLA and maybe he shows something.

Then, we have Thad Moss, who I’m still not sure how they are going to use - if he makes the team. He could be used as a FB or in a Jordan Reed type role too. 

25 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It isn’t about winning. It’s about giving the QB a chance. 

Haskins now has likely the worst WR situation in the NFL. He also has almost undoubtedly the worst TE situation in the NFL. He also has at least arguably the worst left side OL situation in the NFL. He’s got a brand new system, being implemented by an OC who has worked in that position for 4 full games at any level, and he’s had probably the most limited offseason since WWII to learn that system.

At what point will it become undeniably obvious that the Redskins have hung this kid out to dry? Kyler Murray’s team traded for DeAndre Hopkins to give him one of the best weapons in the league. Drew Lock’s team drafted Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler to give him two dynamic, explosive playmakers (in addition to Sutton and Fant). Daniel Jones’s team drafted an OT in the top 5 to help keep him upright. Dwayne Haskins’s team signed a slot CB and drafted a DE and a gadget RB. They also cut ties with the OC he seemed to click with. He had the worst supporting cast of all those guys last year, and somehow they’ve allowed it to get even worse heading into this season

They’ve operated with utter disregard for the idea of giving Haskins some meaningful help this season. I genuinely don’t know how else you could frame it. They had the opportunity to bring in better players who could help him take his game to the next level — and they chose frugality and inaction instead. Maybe he defies the odds and succeeds despite the supporting cast. I sure hope he does. If not, hopefully they’ll do more to put some talent around Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields next time we ride this carousel.

A lot of arguably’s in there. I think the current group of pass receivers is better than last years, especially after Reed & Vernon Davis were hurt. At this point last year we had no clue who Steven Sims even was and 99% of Redskins Nation thought that Can Sims was going to be an unguardable force in the red zone.

They have guys with potential, they just haven't had the chance to start yet or barely have or they've been 7th round picks/UDFA’s buried on depth charts so overpaid FAs like Paul Richardson could play. We didn't know Ryan Grant was capable of 45 recs & 4 TDs until he got starters reps in 2017.

We just don't know what we have, but just bc we don't have long term starters at WR & TE doesn't mean that we don't have answers there either in house.

I have maintained since they didn't sign Cooper & Hooper that this was a chance for this young corps of receivers to grow and develop this year. That's what it is. If I was the GM/HC honestly, I wouldn't bring in anyone until I saw these rookies & 2nd/3rd year guys play in practices/preseason before the season starts.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Even with his dependency problems, I would take Josh Gordon All Day over Antonio Brown. They both have problems but in Antonio Browns case it affects the team as far as a big distraction. Gordon is so talented, MAYBE we can keep him straight if we picked him up. 

Gordon will be straight now the he can "Get His Weed" As you said he is Talented plus has shown Consistency. He will now be able to past drug test and continue to show case that Talent wherever he goes. I Really would Like for it to be Us. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Free Agent WRs available:

Antonio Brown

Josh Gordon

Paul Richardson

Taylor Gabriel 

Chester Rogers

Demariyus Thomas

Jarius Wright

Chris Hogan

Ryan Grant

Jaron Brown

Russell Shepard 

Jordan Matthews 

Dontrell Inman

Justin Hardy

Aldrick Robinson

Rashad Ross

Is Robert Davis still signed by the Eagles, could we nab him from them?

From this list I don’t think we need the drama of a Gordon or Brown (though I’d prefer Gordon). Much rather a Demaryius Thomas or even Chris Hogan, a big bodied vet that can help in the red zone and take some heat off McLaurin, and help bring the young guys along. Always liked Taylor Gabriel but I think his ship has sailed. 
Feel bad for Harmon, hope this isn’t a sign of things to come, but with this team it usually is. 

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

That we be a good trade, and he's a possession WR which is what we just lost but, I don't think the Rams will trade him. They traded away Brandon Cooks, they're not going to trade sway Woods too.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

From this list I don’t think we need the drama of a Gordon or Brown (though I’d prefer Gordon). Much rather a Demaryius Thomas or even Chris Hogan, a big bodied vet that can help in the red zone and take some heat off McLaurin, and help bring the young guys along. Always liked Taylor Gabriel but I think his ship has sailed. 
Feel bad for Harmon, hope this isn’t a sign of things to come, but with this team it usually is. 

I know people aren't going to like this, but I wonder if we bring back Ryan Grant. Grant is a possession WR which is what we need opposite Terry, he blocks like a TE and he’ll be cheap. If we sign him and Gibson/AGG/Latimer/Cam Sims/Quinn/Kidsy or an UDFA beat him out then so be it but it's someone that Kyle Smith and Tim Grimble scouted and they are familiar with him. 

Edited by turtle28