K Harmon tears ACL

ARTMONK HOF

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

I know we need more veteran experience but I think I would take a chance on wright rather than give latimer a spot if we keep 6. Latimer has never really been more than a Jag player. plus with the off the field incidents this year I rather try to see if we can make a cheap contract player into a solid team piece

Agree there, but like a lot of scouts/others before, I've always been intrigued by Latimer’s size/speed combo, but he's just never been able to put it all together. I guess they’d have to decide if they keep Latimer if they're also willing to lose Isaiah Wright off the practice squad?

I guess it depends on how Isaiah Wright looks at practice/training camp. Everyone likes his potential but I mean I can't just assume he’s a better option than some of these other guys based off of his college tape. He's got to prove that to the coaches.

Edited by turtle28

On 7/17/2020 at 5:16 PM, Vladimir L said:

through trades Hopkins and OBJ were cheqp trades

Well, BOB doesn’t have much more talent to trade away, so I doubt that we are getting a good WR from the Texans.  OBJ cost the Browns quite a bit- a first rounder, third rounder and a former first round player (Jabril Peppers) So I wouldn’t say he was cheap at all.

From our experience, trading a first round pick for a player and then signing them to a big contract never works out.  It’s also not smart asset management.  Use the draft pick to get a young talent on a rookie contract and give the money away in free agency.  

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:04 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

NEWSFLASH! I didn’t say he’s the most reliable person. If he’s ok, on the field he’s a very good receiver. He can stretch the field, very good hands, a veteran presence. I said incentive based contract. I never read or heard that Josh was a bad influence or a bad teammate. I’m all for playing the young guys but not all our receivers have to be in diapers. He will help out DH. We need Dwayne to develop and Josh would be a nice weapon. 
You don’t want him and that’s ok. 

He might not be a bad influence, but if a guy puts his weed habit over playing football and making millions, I would call him a bad teammate.  At best, he’s unreliable.  Now, weed is no longer something to get suspended over, but I question his desire after all of this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He might not be a bad influence, but if a guy puts his weed habit over playing football and making millions, I would call him a bad teammate.  At best, he’s unreliable.  Now, weed is no longer something to get suspended over, but I question his desire after all of this. 

I disagree with this. People really should enhance their intelligence on Marijuana's positive side effects. Also how it's coming back as Trend like in the 60's and 70's. Playing Football and smoking Marijuana seem to have no Negative Effects on Player's ability to do their Jobs. Possibly a Strong Reason why it's no longer a issue the league will have to worry about. People should really get that "He choose Weed over Football so that makes him a Bad Teammate or has Bad Character" out of their minds. 

Try to understand how this Medication can help with the Pressure of the Game, Pain Player's go through, Mental Stability, ext. I'm happy and I know both a lot of Players and Coaches are as well this is no longer something that can be used as a Weapon against a Man who plays in the NFL. 

Now there is a difference from Testing Positive for Weed compared to getting caught with Pounds in your Car on the Highway. 

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

I disagree with this. People really should enhance their intelligence on Marijuana's positive side effects. Also how it's coming back as Trend like in the 60's and 70's. Playing Football and smoking Marijuana seem to have no Negative Effects on Player's ability to do their Jobs. Possibly a Strong Reason why it's no longer a issue the league will have to worry about. People should really get that "He choose Weed over Football so that makes him a Bad Teammate or has Bad Character" out of their minds. 

Try to understand how this Medication can help with the Pressure of the Game, Pain Player's go through, Mental Stability, ext. I'm happy and I know both a lot of Players and Coaches are as well this is no longer something that can be used as a Weapon against a Man who plays in the NFL. 

Now there is a difference from Testing Positive for Weed compared to getting caught with Pounds in your Car on the Highway. 

We know - or I would think most of us do in this forum about weed - and we really aren't supposed to be having a conversation with such explicit details about weed in this forum.

I wanted Josh Gordon in 2012 as a supplemental draft pick bc he and RG3 had chemistry. If we had gotten Josh Gordon to play opposite Garcon in 2012 & had franchised Laron Landry instead of Fred Davis maybe we beat the Seahawks & go somewhere in the 2012 playoffs. And, look at what he and Jason Campbell did in 2013 season, 87 recs, 1646 yds & 9 TDs in 14 games that season. Then, he and Johnny Manziel started to get in a lot of problems off the field and it derailed his promising career.

We have to realize that that was 6 years ago. He's 29 years old and has never played a full season in the NFL.

In my view Washington as currently constructed is lucky to be a .500 team even if they added Josh Gordon.

I think the goal of this season for Rivera and I agree with it is to play the young guys and evaluate them. Since this is the goal, bringing in a near 30 year old vet doesn't make much sense to me especially when we have a handful of WRs 25 years old and younger we can play and develop. I'd rather see S. Sims, Gibson, AGG, Cam Sims or Quinn get that #2 job than to bring in a stopgap/not long term option like Josh Gordon. If we had a more veteran team like in 2015, 2016, 2017 or 18, I’d want Gordon, but not on a team where 2/3 of the players are 26 or younger.

Personally, I want our young players to look good while developing but for the team to end up 4-12 or 5-11 and then to draft the BPA in the top 5 of the 2021 draft to go with Haskins, Terry, Young, Allen and the rest of our young team for the future.

If we get another top 5 talent either on our D or O and have that player for the next decade, our team will hopefully become a Super Bowl contender 5 years from now if Haskins develops. 

The long term goal should be that, not the short term goal of having Josh Gordon as a stop gap.

Edited by turtle28

Yeah, we shouldn't be having that kind of in depth talk about marijuana here.  

My whole point is that a player who was willing to throw away millions- and make no mistake, Josh Gordon would've received a top extension worth probably $60 million or more a few years ago- for his weed habit is beyond me.  

If you told me I could make millions, and all I had to do was to not smoke weed- I'd sign up for that.  Him choosing that lifestyle over making millions is nuts, and why I would hesitate to add him to a locker room, especially a young one like Washington. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, we shouldn't be having that kind of in depth talk about marijuana here.  

My whole point is that a player who was willing to throw away millions- and make no mistake, Josh Gordon would've received a top extension worth probably $60 million or more a few years ago- for his weed habit is beyond me.  

If you told me I could make millions, and all I had to do was to not smoke weed- I'd sign up for that.  Him choosing that lifestyle over making millions is nuts, and why I would hesitate to add him to a locker room, especially a young one like Washington. 

Yup. It's an Intelligence Test. 

• Like 1

I’m genuinely kinda curious about this, am I the only person (or in a minority of people) who thinks that the cast of players you put around a QB plays a major role in how well he’s able to develop?

How many young QBs in recent memory have developed into emerging stars after being sent out there with a supporting cast this bad in their first couple seasons? 

I’ve said this before, there’s not a huge need to rehash the point, but I consider Haskins’s development to be on a tier by itself in terms of importance. I would sacrifice virtually everything  on this team for the sake of enhancing his chances at becoming a top-flight QB. If having a veteran WR to look to and open things up for McLaurin (and Sims to a lesser extent) would help Haskins take his game to the next level in any way, then that should be done. Regardless of how it affects other WRs on the roster. I can’t imagine saying “sure, that might really help Haskins, but it also might hold back AGG or Cam Sims, so it’s a pass for us.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m genuinely kinda curious about this, am I the only person (or in a minority of people) who thinks that the cast of players you put around a QB plays a major role in how well he’s able to develop?

How many young QBs in recent memory have developed into emerging stars after being sent out there with a supporting cast this bad in their first couple seasons? 

I’ve said this before, there’s not a huge need to rehash the point, but I consider Haskins’s development to be on a tier by itself in terms of importance. I would sacrifice virtually everything  on this team for the sake of enhancing his chances at becoming a top-flight QB. If having a veteran WR to look to and open things up for McLaurin (and Sims to a lesser extent) would help Haskins take his game to the next level in any way, then that should be done. Regardless of how it affects other WRs on the roster. I can’t imagine saying “sure, that might really help Haskins, but it also might hold back AGG or Cam Sims, so it’s a pass for us.”

I'm 100% with you, it definitely matters in a QB's development what players are around him and if he goes to a good team he likely develops much faster. I just want to see the young guys play as a group, be evaluated with Haskins in hopes that they develop together for the long term and given Rivera’s history w/ playing a lot of young WRs, I think that's what's going to happen.

I also think when coaches look at tape they can easily see if a bad play was on Haskins, on poor pass protection by the OL or a bad route by the WR. So, if Haskins does his job like I think he will, I don't think they'll think of replacing him unless they have the #1 pick and can get Lawrence and then they’ll have to really evaluate Haskins’ 2020 season before making the decision.

We also do have a veteran WR, he's just not an established starter in Cody Latimer. So, it's not like we don't have a vet.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I'm with you. The QBs who did well early on in their careers are the ones that came in with a good/great cast around them. Big Ben and Dak come to mind as more recent examples. So bringing in a vet is not going to get me too upset if it helps Haskins develop faster and better.

I am not with you on bringing in a veteran if that player is going to be a cancer or disruptive to the team overall (*)

(*) unless that is the part of virtually anything that you wouldn't sacrifice. In which case, we agree 100%

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

I'm sure it would help Haskins confidence level- which shouldn't be understated- but looking at film is a big determining factor as well, to see exactly what happened during a particular play and breaking it down to help him develop.  

So long as it doesn't break the bank by overpaying for someone, and that person isn't going to be a locker room cancer, I don't have a problem making the addition.  However, given the players we were attached to this off-season, I was not a fan at all of Austin Hooper, and I think we did the right thing standing our ground if we did indeed negotiate with Amari Cooper- that was a crazy contract he got.  And while I get your point about holding players back, how they handle this off-season and season is a challenge in it's own right.  

I do think with the lack of an off-season, we should have moved on Peters or Beachum, so now it's left to Donald Penn if they want someone at LT.  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 12:30 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Sad. Harmon wasnt fast and wasnt quick at cuts to begin with. Hopefully he can get back to 100%. Cause if his leg only gets back to 95% of what it was. He wont make it in the league.

I wonder if this injury could begin the process of transitioning Harmon into a H-back/move TE?

If you’ll remember Cooley suggested that they should move Harmon to TE months ago and draft/sign an upgrade for the #2 WR spot.

Cooley pointed out that Harmon is already better than their TE’s at blocking and he’d be a mismatch vs LB’s/SS’s as a receiver in the middle of the field as an H-back in the way Reed was.

Edited by turtle28

50 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I wonder if this injury could being the process of transitioning Harmon into a H-back/move TE?

If you’ll remember Cooley suggested that they should move Harmon to TE months ago and draft/sign an upgrade for the -#2 WR spot.

Cooley pointed out that Harmon is already better than their TE’s at blocking an he’s be a mismatch vs TE’s and SS’s as a receiver in the middle of the field as an H-back in the way Reed was.

He has the frame that looks like he could carry the extra mass with ease. Might be a good idea for him to work with Rivera and start planing for such as a backup plan. He heals well and adds 20lbs or so. I dont seem him slipping down to running in the 4.9s thats for sure. 4.7s at most Id guess which is great for a TE.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:29 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Well, BOB doesn’t have much more talent to trade away, so I doubt that we are getting a good WR from the Texans.  OBJ cost the Browns quite a bit- a first rounder, third rounder and a former first round player (Jabril Peppers) So I wouldn’t say he was cheap at all.

From our experience, trading a first round pick for a player and then signing them to a big contract never works out.  It’s also not smart asset management.  Use the draft pick to get a young talent on a rookie contract and give the money away in free agency.  

we will prob be under 6-10 this year so wouldnt give up a first

a 2nd yes

• 2 weeks later...