Eagles sign OT Jason Peters (One year, up to $6 M)

RaidersAreOne

The fact he will play RG but also be the back up LT in case of injury for Dillard in itself makes this a good signing IMO.  Given the Covid offseason asking either Rookie LT to potentially step in for Dillard if injured, would of been a disaster of Justice Winston esq' proportion.  I'll take it.

Worst case he doesn't beat out Matt Pryor and he's the Swing back up for both. Honestly don't see a downside here?

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

For 2020?  No.

For 2021?  You're already at negative $50mm+ in cap space.  This gives you less to roll over.

How so? It's a $3M deal with $3M more in incentives if he meets all the criteria? Which I'd assume means, 16 gms played, Pro Bowl, ect ect as escalators he gets the full $6M.

That's also assuming he beats out Matt Pryor who actually played well last year, Road Grader. When it comes to the cap and manipulating it, Howie is among the very best in the NFL. Not concerned with 2021. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

From what I gather, they are bringing him in to play guard. Has he ever played guard before? He was showing his age a bit last year at LT.

Well, he started at TE. So I think by year 17 of his career he will actually be their center. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

For 2020?  No.

For 2021?  You're already at negative $50mm+ in cap space.  This gives you less to roll over.

They will just restructure a crapton of contracts and kick the can down the road again like they do every year. Plus they have quite a bit of old deadweight players they will give the boot to.

35 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

How so? It's a $3M deal with $3M more in incentives if he meets all the criteria? Which I'd assume means, 16 gms played, Pro Bowl, ect ect as escalators he gets the full $6M.

That's also assuming he beats out Matt Pryor who actually played well last year, Road Grader. When it comes to the cap and manipulating it, Howie is among the very best in the NFL. Not concerned with 2021. 

I was saying.  "No" downside in 2020.

Everyone's great at manipulating the cap (i.e. restructuring) until the time comes when most of the money they pushed towards a certain season becomes due.  Which is 2021 for the Eagles.  Obviously they can cut guys, which will impact the team's overall talent.

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I was saying.  "No" downside in 2020.

Everyone's great at manipulating the cap (i.e. restructuring) until the time comes when most of the money they pushed towards a certain season becomes due.  Which is 2021 for the Eagles.  Obviously they can cut guys, which will impact the team's overall talent.

Theyve been "$50m over the cap next year" for like 5 straight years. The only difference now is Carsons contract. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Theyve been "$50m over the cap next year" for like 5 straight years. The only difference now is Carsons contract. 

What?  No they haven't.  They're $20+mm under the cap this year.  They've been a few million over the cap for following year's projection at times over the past few years, but never anywhere close to $50mm.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What?  No they haven't.  They're $20+mm under the cap this year.  They've been a few million over the cap for following year's projection at times over the past few years, but never anywhere close to $50mm.

Thats because they keep kicking the can down the road. It hasnt been $50m; but there have been plenty of times its been "$20-35m NEXT YEAR" and then next year rolls around and they just restructure everyone. Cut a couple dudes. And bam - $20m under. 

Its literally the samething the Cowboys did Romos entire career. I remember over the course of like 2 offseasons we gave out ~$250m in new money contracts. And everyone was like "they are SCREWED". 

Restructure, restructure, kick the can, cut an old dude.

The cap is basically a myth with how many ways you can manipulate it.... Trust me, I fought the fight you are right now about 10 years before I realized no team is every really in cap hell.

• Like 2

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Thats because they keep kicking the can down the road. It hasnt been $50m; but there have been plenty of times its been "$20-35m NEXT YEAR" and then next year rolls around and they just restructure everyone. Cut a couple dudes. And bam - $20m under. 

Its literally the samething the Cowboys did Romos entire career. I remember over the course of like 2 offseasons we gave out ~$250m in new money contracts. And everyone was like "they are SCREWED". 

Restructure, restructure, kick the can, cut an old dude.

The cap is basically a myth with how many ways you can manipulate it.... Trust me, I fought the fight you are right now about 10 years before I realized no team is every really in cap hell.

You do realize that if you guys hadn't struck gold with Dak and his amazingly cheap contract for the past 4 seasons, you would have either sucked or been in cap hell for at least a portion of those years, right?

The Eagles can't just shrug off $50mm+ next year, especially since it's looking like the cap won't rise anywhere close to previous expectations in 2021.  They will be forced to cut talented vets or restructure again, making it worse for themselves down the road.  And they won't have a 4th round rookie QB to save their mismanagement because they'll be stuck with Wentz for the next decade.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You do realize that if you guys hadn't struck gold with Dak and his amazingly cheap contract for the past 4 seasons, you would have either sucked or been in cap hell for at least a portion of those years, right?

You mean those years we were paying ~15% (~$30m) of our cap to Romo and Dez to *not* play for our team? 

The Eagles can't just shrug off $50mm+ next year, especially since it's looking like the cap won't rise anywhere close to previous expectations in 2021.  They will be forced to cut talented vets or restructure again, making it worse for themselves down the road.  And they won't have a 4th round rookie QB to save their mismanagement because they'll be stuck with Wentz for the next decade.

Thats going to be the hardest thing. But their roster is old as dirt. So you lose Jefferies/Jackson/Peters/etc. Dudes all on the wrong side of 30. You restructure Wentz and Johnson. Boom - $20m under, once again. 

@Kiltman => how many times have I made this same exact over the cap arguments about the Eagles only for you guys to be like "not worried"

Edited by Matts4313