Eagles sign OT Jason Peters (One year, up to $6 M)

RaidersAreOne

30 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats because they keep kicking the can down the road. It hasnt been $50m; but there have been plenty of times its been "$20-35m NEXT YEAR" and then next year rolls around and they just restructure everyone. Cut a couple dudes. And bam - $20m under. 

Its literally the samething the Cowboys did Romos entire career. I remember over the course of like 2 offseasons we gave out ~$250m in new money contracts. And everyone was like "they are SCREWED". 

Restructure, restructure, kick the can, cut an old dude.

The cap is basically a myth with how many ways you can manipulate it.... Trust me, I fought the fight you are right now about 10 years before I realized no team is every really in cap hell.

There was a year where Miami had like 80 million in dead cap hits. That was the only cap hell I think I’ve witnessed in the last 10 years. 

34 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You mean those years we were paying ~15% (~$30m) of our cap to Romo and Dez to *not* play for our team? 

Exactly.  Imagine having to pay for a QB that wasn't making less than 1% of the cap on top of that.

35 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats going to be the hardest thing. But their roster is old as dirt. So you lose Jefferies/Jackson/Peters/etc. Dudes all on the wrong side of 30. You restructure Wentz and Johnson. Boom - $20m under, once again. 

@Kiltman => how many times have I made this same exact over the cap arguments about the Eagles only for you guys to be like "not worried"

Peters isn't even on the roster in 2021.  You save $8mm with cutting Jeffery.  You save $5mm cutting Desean.  That puts you at $37mm+ over the cap.  I fail to see how you go from $37mm over to $20mm under with a couple of restructures without hamstringing your team for years to come.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Exactly.  Imagine having to pay for a QB that wasn't making less than 1% of the cap on top of that.

Not really my point. If we didnt draft Dak we would have kept Romo longer.

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Peters isn't even on the roster in 2021.  You save $8mm with cutting Jeffery.  You save $5mm cutting Desean.  That puts you at $37mm+ over the cap.  I fail to see how you go from $37mm over to $20mm under with a couple of restructures without hamstringing your team for years to come.

Lets assume they rollover $15 of that $25m.

June 1 cuts (rough estimates):

Jeffrey - $14m

Jackson - $8m

Graham - $10m

Restructure:

Wentz - ~$12m

Cox - ~$12m

$20m under the cap in 5 moves. And they will do it to.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Not really my point. If we didnt draft Dak we would have kept Romo longer.

You would have still had to sign a starting QB when Romo inevitably got injured.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Lets assume they rollover $15 of that $25m.

June 1 cuts (rough estimates):

Jeffrey - $14m

Jackson - $8m

Graham - $10m

Restructure:

Wentz - ~$12m

Cox - ~$12m

$20m under the cap in 5 moves. And they will do it to.

1.  Only 2 players can be designated as June 1 cuts.

2.  I welcome them cutting Graham and having zero quality EDGE rushers on their roster.

3.  I welcome those restructuring moves as well - especially for an injury-prone QB and a DT turning 30 yrs old this season.

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

You would have still had to sign a starting QB when Romo inevitably got injured.

d1bf9ff2dca245a43db38ba84cb34287.gif

1.  Only 2 players can be designated as June 1 cuts.

For some reason I thought that changed with the new CBA. But I am probably wrong.

2.  I welcome them cutting Graham and having zero quality EDGE rushers on their roster.

They have zero quality edge rushers even with Graham.

3.  I welcome those restructuring moves as well - especially for an injury-prone QB and a DT turning 30 yrs old this season.

Neither one of them are going anywhere so it doesnt matter. 

Feels like he has been in the league forever.   

I mean, he came in the same year as Ben, but OLineman dont normally stick around this long.  

Is he still good?     Mad props to the man.  38 and still that valuable is impressive.  

15 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Feels like he has been in the league forever.   

I mean, he came in the same year as Ben, but OLineman dont normally stick around this long.  

Is he still good?     Mad props to the man.  38 and still that valuable is impressive.  

Outside of the occasional false start and inability to stay healthy for 16 games, Yes he is.  Now the move to RG might not be as seamless as most are making it out to be (LG more ideal for footwork/technique). However given the shorten offseason and inability to be hands on in OTA's with players as coaches, theres not much downside here IMO. 

Having a seasoned vet who knows the Offense, line calls, QB cadence inside and out while being probably the most respected man in the OL room, isn't a negative. 

Him eventually coming up gimp unfortunately will be. Either way this will be his last rodeo with the Eagles.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, ninjapirate said:

Luckily our gm happens to also be one of the best cap manipulators in the league. 

Exactly. As an Eagles fan, I have quite a few questions about the team's future. But unless Howie decides to leave, the cap is not one of them.