Jump to content
sammymvpknight

2021 Draft order if 2020 season cancelled

Recommended Posts

I like the idea of a lottery system based on the last 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be based off number of fans. Cowboys and Steelers would be #32 and #31 respectively and Chargers would have the number #1 selection. Sounds about right. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the NHL missed its last season, Im' pretty sure that they just did a league wide lottery. That's how the Penguins ended up with Crosby. 

I've heard one suggestion, I think it was Bill Barnwell, that went by worst record over 3 year stretch or something like that, which isn't awful, but also not necessarily indicative of where teams are at the current point in time (the 49ers, for example, were so bad in the years prior to the most recent season that I'm pretty sure that they would have a top 5 pick or something). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Livestream a squirrel randomly selecting nuts with team names on them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we do the NBA method how about this based on this years draft order

Teams who picked 1-10 will again do so, only those teams will be in the first round of drawing for those slots

Teams 11-20 next

Teams 21-32 to end it

I'm thinking that would be a lot of fun for TV audience, NFL could build up the "Draft Drawing" for months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 3:46 PM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

If we do the NBA method how about this based on this years draft order

Teams who picked 1-10 will again do so, only those teams will be in the first round of drawing for those slots

Teams 11-20 next

Teams 21-32 to end it

I'm thinking that would be a lot of fun for TV audience, NFL could build up the "Draft Drawing" for months

Now this would actually be interesting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Now this would actually be interesting...

Yeah I'm not sure if it would be the fairest way to do it, but it would be highly entertaining I think

You would want to start with teams 21-32 then work down to the Top 10 to build the suspension. ESPN and NFL Network would eat that up daily

Also maybe giving teams an extra draft pick and expanding rosters would be a good idea?

Teams who picked 1-10 get an extra 3rd

Teams who picked 11-20 get an extra 4th

Teams who picked 21-32 get an extra 5th

 

Hopefully that would help encourage some trades and also let more college players get drafted and possibly make a team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 1:56 AM, DirtyDez said:

Geographical order starting in the Southwest.  

Northeast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets have a fun little project. Mock Drafts using the reverse order approach.


1. Kansas City Chiefs are on the clock....

Obviously they'd trade the pick because they aren't taking Lawrence. But who do they trade it to? And for how much?

Subsequent picks:

2. San Francisco
3. Green Bay
4. Tennessee
5. Baltimore
6. Seattle 
7. Miami (via HOU)
8. Minnesota
9. New Orleans
10. New England

San Fran maybe.... wouldn't have to give up nearly as much.

Then maybe any of the teams 8-10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, Danger said:

Lets have a fun little project. Mock Drafts using the reverse order approach.


1. Kansas City Chiefs are on the clock....

Obviously they'd trade the pick because they aren't taking Lawrence. But who do they trade it to? And for how much?

Subsequent picks:

2. San Francisco
3. Green Bay
4. Tennessee
5. Baltimore
6. Seattle 
7. Miami (via HOU)
8. Minnesota
9. New Orleans
10. New England

San Fran maybe.... wouldn't have to give up nearly as much.

Then maybe any of the teams 8-10.

If I were SF, I'd certainly make that call to try and get that pick. I still think that you have to give up a ton though. I think that is RG3 type trade because of the demand. That being said, I'd be interested in the other quarterbacks at that spot, and Penei Sewell would make a ton of sense for the 49ers there given that they are likely to lose Trent Williams in free agency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 3:48 PM, Danger said:

Lets have a fun little project. Mock Drafts using the reverse order approach.


1. Kansas City Chiefs are on the clock....

Obviously they'd trade the pick because they aren't taking Lawrence. But who do they trade it to? And for how much?

Subsequent picks:

2. San Francisco
3. Green Bay
4. Tennessee
5. Baltimore
6. Seattle 
7. Miami (via HOU)
8. Minnesota
9. New Orleans
10. New England

San Fran maybe.... wouldn't have to give up nearly as much.

Then maybe any of the teams 8-10.

Top priority for KC would be trade down. After that I'm looking at best OT to replace Fisher, CB (Surtain Jr would be cool since his dad played here), or straight up BPA non-QB/RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Picks 1-7 Lottery for the 7 teams that finished 5-11 or worse. All teams in each tier get the same amount of lotto balls.

PIcks 8-19 Lottery for the 12 teams that finished between 5-10-1 and 9-7.

Picks 20-30 Lottery for the 11 teams that finished 10-6 or better.

Pick 31 - KC

Patriots don't get a pick for being habitual cheaters.

 

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 12:44 PM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Yeah I'm not sure if it would be the fairest way to do it, but it would be highly entertaining I think

You would want to start with teams 21-32 then work down to the Top 10 to build the suspension. ESPN and NFL Network would eat that up daily

Also maybe giving teams an extra draft pick and expanding rosters would be a good idea?

Teams who picked 1-10 get an extra 3rd

Teams who picked 11-20 get an extra 4th

Teams who picked 21-32 get an extra 5th

 

Hopefully that would help encourage some trades and also let more college players get drafted and possibly make a team

I like most of that, but let's not forget that free agency happened, so no need to mess with the comp pick formula (tho my team would benefit, as we brought in way more than we lost).

 

If they do a lottery, have the top 5 teams from 2020 be grouped, then  6-10, 11-15, 16-21, then group the next tiers by the round they lost (21-24, 25-28, 29-30, 31, 32)

 

If they play it straight, combine the last 3 or five season records and let it rip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 1:03 PM, sammymvpknight said:

I doubt that would happen...because when the team owners meet, only the teams at the very top of last year's draft would want that scenario. The others would likely want the opportunity to improve their standing. It's what happened when the NHL had their season long lockout. I'd be surprised if a lottery doesn't take place of some fashion.

I personally think that the teams more closely approximated to the Mississippi River should get the most balls...but that's just me. The Rams may try to leave their empty stadium to go back to St. Louis.

Outside the Bucs which non-playoff team is gonna break through. The Colts maybe? But Rivers looked washed. Sooooo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...