Does Matt Ryan win a Super Bowl before the end of his career?

Championshiporbust

11 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Part of it was...If he hadn't been sacked late in the game, thus taking his team out of FG range, we very well wouldn't be having this discussion....

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/9/14522738/falcons-lost-super-bowl-patriots-matt-ryan-sack-run-the-dang-ball

That sack wasn't on him. And don't ever think it was.

8 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Than there are a lot of people who are wrong.....Even the sportscasters commented that was a worse case scenario for Ryan to take a sack....

The sack wasn't his fault, though. Devonta Freeman missed the block.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

The sack wasn't his fault, though. Devonta Freeman missed the block.

I think you and he are talking about different plays. You're talking about the Hightower strip sack earlier in the game but he's talking about the Trey Flowers sack on 2nd and 11 with about 4 minutes left. Took them from the 22-yard-line to the 34-yard-line. Was definitely a play where Ryan should have gotten rid of it. But it was also a play where they should have been running it.

Edited by childofpudding

41 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

I think you and he are talking about different plays. You're talking about the Hightower strip sack earlier in the game but he's talking about the Trey Flowers sack on 2nd and 11 with about 4 minutes left. Took them from the 22-yard-line to the 34-yard-line. Was definitely a play where Ryan should have gotten rid of it. But it was also a play where they should have been running it.

That still didn't end it for us as the very next play after that sack Ryan hit Sanu for like 10 put us right back in FG range from where we was before the sack.  Jake matthews on the Sanu catch play decided to put someone in a fricken chokehold. Which then put us back even further on like a 3rd and 33 at the 45.  Which means we had to throw again because at that point we were out of FG range.    So not only once on the Ryan Julio crazy catch did Ryan get us in FG range but twice with Sanu after the sack put us back in FG range.   On the Sack and on the Hold our O-line failed us in that Superbowl.    Ryan nor the recievers should ever be blamed for that loss they were amazing in that game.   All the blame to me goes on  Shanny, Freeman, and the O-line.   I would say the defense but they had to cover 99 plays wtf were they supposed to do they were tired shanny could have saved the defense alot of snaps by running the ball and eating the clock up the entire 4th quarter.

12 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Yep...

On 2020-07-15 at 8:58 PM, VanS said:

Eli, Stafford, and Rivers aren't Hall of Famers.  Flacco has zero case so I don't know why you mentioned him.  Big Ben is a borderline case.

Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are the only locks on that list. 

Big Ben a borderline case? He's an iconic QB with the numbers and the postseason success to back it up. Even if his play has gone down in recent years he's still the golden standard when it comes to QB's that are impossible to bring down in the pocket. If a guy like Rodgers gets in he absolutely deserves to as well.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:31 AM, scar988 said:

Matt Ryan is a future Hall of Famer.

Only if on the off chance he wins a Super Bowl, which I don't see. The window is closed. Matt Ryan is not a Hall of Famer, outside of 2016 he was never even considered a possibility of a top 5 QB.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:58 PM, VanS said:

Eli, Stafford, and Rivers aren't Hall of Famers.  Flacco has zero case so I don't know why you mentioned him.  Big Ben is a borderline case.

Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are the only locks on that list. 

Ben is a hall of famer. Multiple Super Bowls for a storied franchise and pretty good (not out of this world) stats.

Peyton
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Wilson
Roethlisberger

All players who I'd consider Ryan's "contemporaries" that make it in long before he even gets consideration.

Can we flip this around and ask: Who are the best QBs that are NOT in the HOF right now ?

In the NFL, QBs are overdrafted, over-valued and overpaid. I'm guessing that trend holds true in the HOF too.
Here's a link to Career AV from Pro Football Reference. Its a reasonably acceptable metric for rating players.

Scroll down the list and you can see the QBs ( by the AV metric) who aren't in the HOF yet.
All these QBs lower than Ryan are done playing, so they won't be adding to their total pts

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/av_career.htm

Assuming:  Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers get in - here's the next set of guys, in order

Phillip Rivers
Rothlisberger
Matt Ryan
Eli Manning
Ken Anderson
John Hadl
Carson Palmer