Titans closing in on deal with RB Derrick Henry

.Buzz

16 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Yeah actually that contract for Henry is reasonable. When I wrote the post I thought he'd be getting some partial guarantees on the 3rd year and that you'd be looking at $15MM AAV.

(I still object to paying non receiving RBs as a matter of principle, but that's a personal preference.)

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

I like this deal for Tennessee, and I'm not a proponent of paying running backs. If you can fit it in salary cap wise without messing around, I'm fine with it. Short term at basically 2 years guaranteed, and then you can move on. 

I don't get the hate on this deal for either side.  Henry got paid a nice chunk of change, but the Titans didn't have to reset the RB market to do it.  Henry is an elite running back and only 26 years of age.  The entire offense revolves around him and the team made it to the AFC championship game last season.

Both sides win this one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I don't get the hate on this deal for either side.  Henry got paid a nice chunk of change, but the Titans didn't have to reset the RB market to do it.  Henry is an elite running back and only 26 years of age.  The entire offense revolves around him and the team made it to the AFC championship game last season.

Both sides win this one.

Agreed. Also worth noting is Henry has less than 1,000 touches on his career (861). In comparison, McCaffrey who is 2 years younger has 926 touches. Henry isn't going to just fall off a cliff in two years, which at a little under $26 guaranteed is all Tennessee needs out of him to make this deal worth it. Anything beyond that is gravy. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

Both sides win this one.

Don't think this deal is really getting much if any hate since the #'s got leaked tbf.

Short term deal for a team in win now mode for a core piece.

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah usually league MVP QB's cost more than RB's

They also usually show up in the playoffs, but here we are.

Face it, it's a great deal based on what Henry has shown and is expected to continue to show. It's not some ridiculous deal where he's got a bum knee or threatening to sit out part of the season.

• Like 2