Titans closing in on deal with RB Derrick Henry

.Buzz

I said this in the Garrett thread, but this (and MG and Jones flurry of extensions) makes me think the league (and players/agents) have some decently clear picture of what the cap will look like in upcoming seasons, which has obviously been a huge question mark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

It's funny how there are all of these deals at the height of COVID. Most seem to be favoring the owners, which makes...as the players want security. 

Well, I believe today was the deadline for franchise tagged players to sign a new deal before the season, so that might be the explanation for Jones and Henry happening so close together.

• Like 1

You have to pay a RB on Henry’s level. If he wasn’t going to get paid by the Titans someone was going to pay him somewhere.

Look how important Mark Ingram was to the Ravens last year. They didn’t look the same & neither did Lamar when Ingram got hurt for the playoffs. Look at Gurley when healthy for the Rams and how their offense struggled last year as he battled with the health of his knee. Zeke in Dallas is another example, when the offense goes through him they’re awesome when it doesn’t, it is inconsistent. Jones in Green Bay, the RB by committee in San Fran carries that offense.

I’m very interested to see what Bell does for the Jets this year. Their OL is improved, presuming Darnold stays healthy, Bell could have a comeback type year.

Edited by turtle28

19 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Also on the "don't pay RBs" wagon but I agree with everyone who said this turned out to be a great deal for Tennessee. 

If you're Dalvin Cook, Aaron Jones, Joe Mixon, etc., you absolutely hate this.

Damn right they do. This may be the most team freindly deal I have ever seen a player who is top 3 at their position sign.

• Like 1

Henry is 26, hasn't even hit 1k touches yet, and is coming off one of the greatest stretches of all time, for any player, ever. From week 10 to the divisional round he had 1,273 yards, 11 TDs and averaged 6.3 yards per carry. Worst case scenario he is already breaking down and you have the out in 2 years. Best case scenario you have an elite back locked up for the next 4 seasons.

This deal will hopefully reset the RB market, it shouldn't matter that Henry isn't a receiving threat, he just put up that historic stretch, carried team to the playoffs and then went and had back to back monster playoff games. He is a top tier RB in this league, so this deal should be representative of top tier RB money going forward.