Best Way to Move on from Dak Prescott

TheGame316

Best way to move on from Dak Prescott?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Best way to move on from Dak Prescott?

• Trade him now, For what compensation and to what team?
    • Play out this year and let him walk for 3rd round compensatory
    • Play out this year and Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag (2 1st round picks if he signs elsewhere) but maybe he signs 1 year and stays
    • Play out this year and Transition Tag (Right to match but if we don't match he walks for nothing) but maybe he signs 1 year and stays

Assuming both sides stand firm what is the best way to move on from Dak

If the front office doesn't see Dak as "The Guy" Do we keep him this year as a potential distraction, Try to tag him next year (Exclusive/Non-Exclusive/Transition @38 Million) and have Dak either a) Hold out and remain a distraction, or b) actually willingly sign it and be 1 season away from Free Agency (assuming we don't do the year 3 tag for 54 million) and also be an ongoing distraction or do we try to cut our losses sooner than later and move on (Either now, end of this season, or use him for this year and next and then wave goodbye)

I didn't put play him this year and then trade him before next year as I don't think he would have trade value with a 38 Million franchise tag number (also when this is done, you can just non exclusive tag him and let him work out his new deal with a new team and then accept less than the 2 1sts to facilitate the deal

Edited by TheGame316

I picked to play him this year and Non-Exclusive tag him next year

Personally, I think Dak signs that tag rather then shop himself around as it would make him 1 season away from true Free agency (as I don't see the Cowboys tagging him again at 54 Million, nor do I see a team willingly giving up 2 1sts and a 40+ million per contract)

Assuming he doesn't win the Superbowl this year (or ball out and get us really close) This is Dak's last year in Dallas as far as I'm concerned. If someone offered me a single 1st round pick right now, he's gone. If he wins the Superbowl, I'll give him 5 year 250 guaranteed and not care because this league is about wins and Superbowls

Trading him next year on the tag probably makes more sense than letting him walk in '22. I think, at worst, you're looking at a late-first from a fringe AFC playoff team that could be looking to move on from their starter (IND, NE come to mind).

You have to wonder if this team just enjoys being drama queens though and we'll go through this all once more next summer

If you're talking about moving on in any capacity you should trade him now. There is no point of going into next offseason with the mindset to tag him again. If you already feel this way we should trade him to the Jags now for a ransom of draft picks and rock out with Dalton.

Do I think we waited to long? Yes but Personally I want to sign Dak long term and I believe we still have the cap flexibility to do it next year. 

• Like 1

I think it's too early to make a determination. Covid-19 must be factored in here. For example, if there isn't a 2020 season, we'll need to know how the 2021 NFL Draft (if there is one) will be structured, who will be eligible, and how the NFL will determine the draft order itself before we can assess what his value is and what the trade market may or may not be. If the NFL uses a random generator to determine the draft order, that will have a direct impact and influence on how we will approach the QB position, and how other teams will look at trade value for players under the franchise tag.

• Like 2

Why no play him on tag this year and just wait and see what happens option?

Season could be cancelled, he could play badly, back up could get in and play good, he could suffer an extreme injury, there could be an off field incident ...

Or he could play really good.   Then you can make a long term deal or tag him again or tag and trade him if he is bitter.

You don't really know how the season is going to play out until it plays out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Why no play him on tag this year and just wait and see what happens option?

Season could be cancelled, he could play badly, back up could get in and play good, he could suffer an extreme injury, there could be an off field incident ...

Or he could play really good.   Then you can make a long term deal or tag him again or tag and trade him if he is bitter.

You don't really know how the season is going to play out until it plays out.

This.

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I think it's too early to make a determination. Covid-19 must be factored in here. For example, if there isn't a 2020 season, we'll need to know how the 2021 NFL Draft (if there is one) will be structured, who will be eligible, and how the NFL will determine the draft order itself before we can assess what his value is and what the trade market may or may not be. If the NFL uses a random generator to determine the draft order, that will have a direct impact and influence on how we will approach the QB position, and how other teams will look at trade value for players under the franchise tag.

If we could get decent value now,  I'm for it.  This year's gonna be a crap show.  For me, the floor is a 1st and a 3rd.

4 hours ago, eagles suck said:

If you're talking about moving on in any capacity you should trade him now. There is no point of going into next offseason with the mindset to tag him again. If you already feel this way we should trade him to the Jags now for a ransom of draft picks and rock out with Dalton.

Do I think we waited to long? Yes but Personally I want to sign Dak long term and I believe we still have the cap flexibility to do it next year. 

I think he has more value next year if we do trade him. Not many options to move him now. 

Next year you have Indy moving on from Rivers. You find out about some of the young QBs in year 2 or 3 (Haskins, Jones, Darnold, Baker, Allen, Minsher,). Does Brees play another year? Is Jimmy out in SF? Does Big Ben hang them up? Raiders finally move on from Carr?

A lot more QB unknowns next year.

28 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Dallas should just trade him now. Take whatever and happily move on. 

When we didnt sign him, I made a post on Reddit:

"Might as well trade him, tank the season and go get Lawrence and hope he is not part of the ~50%+ bust rate of 1st rounders"

• Like 2

Just now, Matts4313 said:

When we didnt sign him, I made a post on Reddit:

"Might as well trade him, tank the season and go get Lawrence and hope he is not part of the ~50%+ bust rate of 1st rounders"

Not saying Dalton is as good as Dak but I believe he is more than good enough to prevent us from getting a top 3 pick.