Best Way to Move on from Dak Prescott

TheGame316

Best way to move on from Dak Prescott?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Best way to move on from Dak Prescott?

• Trade him now, For what compensation and to what team?
    • Play out this year and let him walk for 3rd round compensatory
    • Play out this year and Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag (2 1st round picks if he signs elsewhere) but maybe he signs 1 year and stays
    • Play out this year and Transition Tag (Right to match but if we don't match he walks for nothing) but maybe he signs 1 year and stays

The first QB that goes down this year offer Prescott and you still have Dalton. There is enough on this team to get you to the playoffs, it's getting ridiculous on how some players hold teams hostage and handcuff them from paying the others. The Jones's are right with all the endorsements that come with being the Cowboys QB you can leave a little money to help pay the supporting cast. Greed is what is ruining this world how much is enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cowboysdreamer said:

The first QB that goes down this year offer Prescott and you still have Dalton.

effe that. We trade Dak I do not want to win another single game. For all I care you can put Zach Martin at QB and Dalton at RG. 

• Like 1

I voted to place the Non Exclusive Franchise Tag on Dak next year. We need those two 1st round picks to package for a QB. I want Trevor Lawrence but if we can’t get to the #1 overall pick, my backup plan would be Trey Lance (who shouldn’t cost as much in a trade up).

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Okay, what did I miss? We is everyone showing Dak the door?

I mean, why trade him at all?

I mean, it's not impossible that we sign him for $40M/yr or so next year, should he quell all doubts with an MVP/Super Bowl in Year 5 (the standard by which all rational teams determine whether or not to sign their franchise quarterbacks to second contracts). But all kidding aside, all that would do is show how foolish the team was to "make him prove it" two years in a row when they could've extended him for much less in prior years and cut the freaking drama.

50 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I mean, it's not impossible that we sign him for $40M/yr or so next year, should he quell all doubts with an MVP/Super Bowl in Year 5 (the standard by which all rational teams determine whether or not to sign their franchise quarterbacks to second contracts). But all kidding aside, all that would do is show how foolish the team was to "make him prove it" two years in a row when they could've extended him for much less in prior years and cut the freaking drama.

From another thread but it wasn't that easy at the time or in hindsight

Dak's contract has always been complicated

Why wasn't he done after 2 years at the same time as Wentz? Well, he was coming off a 13-3 season as a game manager and a 9-7 season where he had mediocre stats. That didn't scream 30+ million like Wentz/Goff made. Easy to say in hindsight that was the time to strike a deal, but at the time the jury was still out

Then he came off 10-6 season 18 months ago and it was clear he was a good/capable QB but  Dak was wanting 35 million, which was steep considering he still had mediocre stats

I'll give Dak full credit for his stats last year (They were bonafide franchise QB stats) but the teams record was 8-8 and Dak stuck to wanting to be a 35+ million dollar guy on his terms

Throw in COVID and the values of 2 franchise tags being less than the AAV of the contract Dak was demanding and it just didn't make sense to give Dak a big deal. Jerry gets to keep the $$ in his bank account and pay Dak by the week. Dak sinks, and Jerry can cut bait easily, Dak swims and Jerry can just tag him again

15 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

From another thread but it wasn't that easy at the time or in hindsight

Dak's contract has always been complicated

Why wasn't he done after 2 years at the same time as Wentz? Well, he was coming off a 13-3 season as a game manager and a 9-7 season where he had mediocre stats. That didn't scream 30+ million like Wentz/Goff made. Easy to say in hindsight that was the time to strike a deal, but at the time the jury was still out

Then he came off 10-6 season 18 months ago and it was clear he was a good/capable QB but  Dak was wanting 35 million, which was steep considering he still had mediocre stats

I'll give Dak full credit for his stats last year (They were bonafide franchise QB stats) but the teams record was 8-8 and Dak stuck to wanting to be a 35+ million dollar guy on his terms

Throw in COVID and the values of 2 franchise tags being less than the AAV of the contract Dak was demanding and it just didn't make sense to give Dak a big deal. Jerry gets to keep the $$ in his bank account and pay Dak by the week. Dak sinks, and Jerry can cut bait easily, Dak swims and Jerry can just tag him again

Wentz got his deal last summer after 3 years as a pro, he and Dak were drafted the same year. He did only have 38 starts though, if that's what you mean by two years- which is kind of the problem here. Dak must feel insulted to see his division rival credited for being on a team that won the SB without him and looking the part while he guts it out week after week for less per year than the top paid guys make per week. If this deal reaches a divorce it'll be hard to say egos weren't a heavy part in it.

The rest, fair enough. There's a reason negotiations for Wilson (people forget there were rumors SEA was looking to trade him), Cousins, and now Prescott have all gotten a little haywire compared to most first round picks in the same timeframe.The fifth-year option or lack thereof seems pretty crucial in this respect.

19 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Wentz got his deal last summer after 3 years as a pro, he and Dak were drafted the same year. He did only have 38 starts though, if that's what you mean by two years- which is kind of the problem here. Dak must feel insulted to see his division rival credited for being on a team that won the SB without him and looking the part while he guts it out week after week for less per year than the top paid guys make per week. If this deal reaches a divorce it'll be hard to say egos weren't a heavy part in it.

The rest, fair enough. There's a reason negotiations for Wilson (people forget there were rumors SEA was looking to trade him), Cousins, and now Prescott have all gotten a little haywire compared to most first round picks in the same timeframe.The fifth-year option or lack thereof seems pretty crucial in this respect.

Eagles had picked up the 5th year option on Wentz's deal, I was thinking that he had 2 years left like Dak did on his 4 year deal when he got extended early. But 38 starts is valid. You couldn't extend Dak "2 years early" as he hadn't really shown enough, at least not at the dollars he was asking. Dak's year 2 was pretty mediocre

I hate the argument about Dak's salty feelings about being "underpaid" Hey, thats how the NFL contracts work for 4th round players. Maybe he should have been a better player in college and he would have been a 1st round pick and made more money. That's not the Cowboys fault and there is nothing Jerry could do about it

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that Jerry set up a few key endorsement deals for Dak to ensure he got some $$. And I'm sure Jerry knows the exact dollar amount Dak makes from his side hustle being the QB of Americas team with a big blue star on his helmet. Probably one of the reasons Jerry was so salty about Dak putting his nuts in a vice over this contract

Edited by TheGame316

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Dak must feel insulted to see his division rival credited for being on a team that won the SB without him

C’mon. I love when people say things like this. Technically it’s true. They won the super bowl without him. But no one who says that, mentions how he was far and away the front runner for MVP before that LA game. 

Yes Wentz has an injury history. Yes that counts.  But you are smart enough to see who the better QB is when both are on the field. In your heart of hearts, you know who has the better arm. I’ve seen Wentz make throws that most QBs in the NFL can’t. He has 1st round pedigree for a reason. When healthy, Dak isn’t in the same league regardless of the stats. 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

But no one who says that, mentions how he was far and away the front runner for MVP before that LA game. 

actually the polling at that time had him 50/50 with Brady.

as for the rest of your post, Wentz has never looked like that in his other 40 games

29 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

actually the polling at that time had him 50/50 with Brady.

as for the rest of your post, Wentz has never looked like that in his other 40 games

I disagree. I specifically remember a play against us where a guy was literally grabbing the wrist of his throwing arm and he still got the pass off. He has an elite arm that few in the NFL have and denying it just makes you a homer

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I disagree. I specifically remember a play against us where a guy was literally grabbing the wrist of his throwing arm and he still got the pass off. He has an elite arm that few in the NFL have and denying it just makes you a homer

Wentz definitely has a higher ceiling. He doesn't consistently reach it, but when he does he is absolutely one of the best QB's in the league

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

and I remember him throwing an INT to a guy sitting down.

"wentz made a great throw he so gud" :ignores all the super impressive Dak throws:

• Like 1

I think you are over selling Wentz a bit. He had one, ONE really good year with a team that finished the season, won 2 playoff games and a SB without him. (The crux of this point is how good was Wentz that year if the team could still win a SB without him? Was it all him in 2017 or did he just have an unbelievable team?)

I watched him blow a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter to Carolina, I watch him try to force throws that lead to turnovers rather than throw it away, I watch him extend plays to the point of season ending injuries, I watched him throw multiple deep balls wide or short of his target, and this guy has more fumbles in the pocket than any other QB I can recall in the last 3 years.

Don't let highlits reels cloud your opinion of Wentz.

Wentz is a die hard competitor that, I believe, is trying too hard to live up to the hype Philly has shrowded him in. And it's going to force him into an early retirement.

If he just played within his game, didn't take so many risks, didn't hang onto the ball forever and Philly just shut up about how great they think he is and let him play, I think he would have better stats and actually be able to finish a season.

7 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I think you are over selling Wentz a bit. He had one, ONE really good year with a team that finished the season, won 2 playoff games and a SB without him. (The crux of this point is how good was Wentz that year if the team could still win a SB without him? Was it all him in 2017 or did he just have an unbelievable team?)

I watched him blow a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter to Carolina, I watch him try to force throws that lead to turnovers rather than throw it away, I watch him extend plays to the point of season ending injuries, I watched him throw multiple deep balls wide or short of his target, and this guy has more fumbles in the pocket than any other QB I can recall in the last 3 years.

Don't let highlits reels cloud your opinion of Wentz.

Wentz is a die hard competitor that, I believe, is trying too hard to live up to the hype Philly has shrowded him in. And it's going to force him into an early retirement.

If he just played within his game, didn't take so many risks, didn't hang onto the ball forever and Philly just shut up about how great they think he is and let him play, I think he would have better stats and actually be able to finish a season.

I could go either way on Wentz or Dak.

Wentz is more talented and I dont think it is close.

Dak has better intangibles and been more available.

Looking at last years teams, Dak had a better supporting cast than Wentz.

Dak higher floor Wentz higher ceiling. Could go both ways.

• Like 1