Landon Collins Still a Beast in the Box

HTTRDynasty

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Rah Rah Rah... the guy was invisible on the field last year. Yes, he can turn it around under Del Rio. But let's be real here: Why are we paying this man so much money?

He was pretty damn good last year in a trash system. Maybe we overpaid but he’s still far and away the best DB this team has had since Taylor. It’s not even close. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He was pretty damn good last year in a trash system. Maybe we overpaid but he’s still far and away the best DB this team has had since Taylor. It’s not even close. 

Yeah I get people don’t prefer a saftey especially paying a box guy but most of the toughest defenses over the history most of them have that enforcer box guy he can do it he shows up like I think it’s bad when they say he doesn’t show up at all I think that’s not accurate even though our defense constantly looked out coached most times

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He was average at best.  He’s the highest paid Safety in NFL history.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, taylor made said:

Rah Rah Rah... the guy was invisible on the field last year. Yes, he can turn it around under Del Rio. But let's be real here: Why are we paying this man so much money?

Really? I thought he was 100% the most visible guy on the defense. The splashiest plays, cumulatively, of anyone out there. He was the best safety around the LOS that I’ve ever seen in a Redskins uniform.

Overpaid? sure. Not well-rounded enough to be a true elite safety? probably. But thinking he wasn’t impactful, I don’t really get that one. Not based on what I was seeing. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Really? I thought he was 100% the most visible guy on the defense. The splashiest plays, cumulatively, of anyone out there. He was the best safety around the LOS that I’ve ever seen in a Redskins uniform.

Overpaid? sure. Not well-rounded enough to be a true elite safety? probably. But thinking he wasn’t impactful, I don’t really get that one. Not based on what I was seeing. 

He should be even better this year given the change in coaching staff, hopefully a more attacking defense and a better player playing next to him. We all know Nicholson had natural talent, but he made a lot of mental mistakes, I don’t see Sean Davis making those same mental mistakes.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

I just find it interesting that people crucified Josh Norman for being overpaid yet somehow Collins is worth it? 

Also I disagree with your assessment.  His play didn’t jump off the screen at all to me.  He’s an average player at best.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I just find it interesting that people crucified Josh Norman for being overpaid yet somehow Collins is worth it? 

Also I disagree with your assessment.  His play didn’t jump off the screen at all to me.  He’s an average player at best.

Norman played hard both are over paid but I’ll take Collins in the locker room over JNo. Jno has his moments. I think the difference is Collins maybe actually desired to play here before he signed and JNo came because the money completely I felt. Any outside player resetting the market in generally against. But I think we will see Collins as a all pro at some point and I think that will actually end the argument about it. Just my opinion though

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Nah... let's actually look at the stats... 1 sack, 2 FF, 9 TFL, 3 QB Hits........ We'll be cutting him most likely as soon as his contract allows... It is what it is...

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Until last year, maybe towards the end of 2018, I was a supporter of Josh Norman’s play as well. He was the best corner we had, at least at the level of play we got from DHall before him, and a legit top 15 player at his position in my view. He was vastly overpaid, and he fell off a cliff as his lack of long speed grew more and more glaring,  but he was a pretty good player for us for a couple years. 

I just don’t really include value or salary in evaluating the quality of a player’s performance. Khalil Mack would be grossly overpaid if he was getting $60M/year, but he’d still be a really good player. Not a valuable asset, perhaps, because of the cost — but still one of the best players in football. Collins is not Khalil Mack, obviously, but I think he’s still clearly a top 10-15 player at his position, totally regardless of what he’s getting paid.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Agreed. 

He's the all-glove, no bat starting shortstop with his play in the box and being a liability in coverage.  Collins is great at what he does in the box.  But when asked to cover, he is below average since he struggles against tight ends and running backs out of the backfield.  Coverage is more important than ever, even for a strong safety, and for him to be subpar really brings his value down and he was not worth the price tag of "highest paid NFL safety" at the time.  He's worth playing and starting, just like that all glove SS......if you have a good enough lineup to make up for him.  In the NFL, that means have a free safety who can cover deep, as well as a linebacker who can cover TE and RB, and last year we had neither.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, taylor made said:

LOL, DJ Swearinger has outplayed Collins

Swearinger outplayed Collins, Rogers was better than Collins, Norman's first two years were miles better than Collins.....there are a few others who I am probably missing who I would rather have over Landon Collins, especially given what we paid for Collins.  

He might be borderline top five defensive back since Sean Taylor, but given our record and talent over that time period, that's not really a compliment. 

8 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Nah... let's actually look at the stats... 1 sack, 2 FF, 9 TFL, 3 QB Hits........ We'll be cutting him most likely as soon as his contract allows... It is what it is...

Okay, let’s look at the stats. 

3rd in the league in tackles among safeties. 2nd in the league in TFLs among safeties (one behind Jamal Adams for the league lead). 6th in the league in FFs among safeties. Only 7.0 yards per target against. Sorry none of that moved the needle for you.

And comparing him to DJ Swearinger is hilarious. First of all, they have totally different games. Swearinger is worthless unless you’re playing him away from the LOS and letting him gamble and guess. He had one great half-season here, can’t take that from him. He was mediocre at best aside from that span.

Where was DJ last year? Well gosh, just about everywhere, but not doing a damn thing. The only stat he topped Collins in was “teams played for” (a strong 3 to 1 advantage). He posted a whopping 0 FFs, 0 FRs, 0 INTs, 0 sacks, and 0 TFLs, since we’re talking about guys being invisible. He gave up almost 10 yards per target and a passer rating against of almost 130. He actually put up a decent tackle total (50), given that he only got on the field for 9 games because teams kept, you know, cutting him.

• Like 1