Landon Collins Still a Beast in the Box

HTTRDynasty

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You can't compare Haynesworth, Archuleta & Collins IMO. Archuleta was a work out warrior who wasn't a good football player, that's just the truth of it. Hayes worth was a great player when he wanted to be but when he got his money he quit working hard, got fat and lazy and refused to do what the coaches wanted him to so, he showed little effort on for field.

Landon Collins is the leader of our secondary and arguably our entire defense. He tries as hard or harder than everyone. He is a good football player and not just a work out warrior. Even if he makes a mistake, you’ll be damn sure that he's going to try his best to make up for that mistake. So, while we overpaid for Collins, at least we got a high a character leader who is elite at something (run D/tackling) and he at least tries hard to improve at the things he's not good and tries extremely hard in coverage and doesn't give up on plays.

I also have to ask if we didn't have Collins, where would we be at safety? Who else could we have signed who would have been equivalent to him?

Last year would have been the perfect time to sign another safety who has a more well-rounded game (Honey Badger) or a center-fielder (Thomas) and I think a few other safeties were on the market.  

Now, both guys went to chase rings, and I can't blame them for that, because we have to overpay players to come here, but I just don't know what the front office was thinking here.  They gave game-changing money to a player who has a skill set that is declining in value, who is also young and has leadership capability, and then they did nothing else.  It's like they thought Collins was going to transcend the defense.  

Honestly, it didn't matter with the lame duck staff we had last year who played safety for us.  And we are likely going to go through most of Collins' contract without having a winning season, probably year four if he makes it.  I don't agree with paying out these kind of contracts until you have the core set and you have 1-3 free agents who could put you over the top.  Simply put, Collins doesn't check the boxes for me as a gamechanger for that kind of money. 

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I also have to ask if we didn't have Collins, where would we be at safety? Who else could we have signed who would have been equivalent to him?

Could have gave the money to Preston Smith and then drafted someone like Taylor Rapp in the second round of last year's draft instead of trading up for Montez Sweat. Or use the pick that we used to trade up for Montez Sweat to draft Xavier McKinney this year. There were a couple of options. Let's see what happens when Collins teams up with Sean Davis, I haven't written Collins off completely yet but he needs to step it up.

24 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Could have gave the money to Preston Smith and then drafted someone like Taylor Rapp in the second round of last year's draft instead of trading up for Montez Sweat. Or use the pick that we used to trade up for Montez Sweat to draft Xavier McKinney this year. There were a couple of options. Let's see what happens when Collins teams up with Sean Davis, I haven't written Collins off completely yet but he needs to step it up.

Yeah, we could have re-signed Preston Smith, I would have, I liked him and thought he was better than most of the fan base thought. 

It’s true, If we did that, we wouldn’t have traded up for Montez Sweat and could have taken a safety in the 2nd round of the 2019 draft. 

Regardless though, I think we would have still signed Collins last offseason. We went all in on him, heck even Snyder had dinner with him and gave him a Sean Taylor Jersey. 

What we could have had was Collins at SS and an upgrade at FS last year which would have made our secondary better. I mean if we’re being honest, Nicholson was a much bigger problem than Collins the last two years and Nicholson should’ve been cut after the young lady died in his house. After that, we could have started Apke in Nov/Dec and evaluated him better to see if he could have been the answer.

There are some things we could have done different, but let’s keep in mind that just signing a different safety other than Collins was not going to make our safety play better last year. While Collins is average in coverage, he does everything else good to elite that other safeties are only average at so, I think that has to be taken into consideration when evaluating Collins and far too often people only focus on his coverage and even that isn’t always bad, you just see the highlights of when it’s bad.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Just awful. I can’t believe how bad he’s been. It’s inexcusable. I wonder if Rivera will cut Collins in March. He only costs us $1.6 million towards the cap in March if we cut him.

Its either that or move him to WLB where he doesn’t have to cover as much in space or tackle as much in space. 

5 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I heard he looked up to Sean Taylor when he was younger so we should probably sign him to a big money extension

I get the joke, but he was a an All-Pro and pro bowl safety his first few years in the league. I’m not sure what’s going on with him, but he has not played up to his ability this year. I have no explanation for it, but he’s been bad and it’s inexcusable.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I get the joke, but he was a an All-Pro and pro bowl safety his first few years in the league. I’m not sure what’s going on with him, but he has not played up to his ability this year. I have no explanation for it, but he’s been bad and it’s inexcusable.

Like a lot of them- got the PayDay- retired ( on the field )

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Like a lot of them- got the PayDay- retired ( on the field )

Maybe but I don't think he's that type of guy, I just think in today's NFL where offenses are more pass happy that a box safety gets lost in coverage and a box safety isn't the best at coming up and tackling receivers from deep on screen plays and quick throws either. Collins reminds me of Laron Landry as a player. Using him around the line of scrimmage is best. Allow him to attack and penetrate the backfield on run downs, cover in the short to intermediate range, not intermediate to deep range. Landry would've been a great WLB and I think Collins fills that role better too. Bring Jeremy Reaves up to be our back up SS, start Curl at SS and Everett at FS for the rest of the year.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe but I don't think he's that type of guy, I just think in today's NFL where offenses are more pass happy that a box safety gets lost in coverage and a box safety isn't the best at coming up and tackling receivers from deep on screen plays and quick throws either. Collins reminds me of Laron Landry as a player. Using him around the line of scrimmage is best. Allow him to attack and penetrate the backfield on run downs, cover in the short to intermediate range, not intermediate to deep range. Landry would've been a great WLB and I think Collins fills that role better too. Bring Jeremy Reaves up to be our back up SS, start Curl at SS and Everett at FS for the rest of the year.

Not intentional- Just natural .. work , work, work, get paid and take your foot off the gas a bit.. catch your breath, relax.. Human Nature.

44 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Not intentional- Just natural .. work , work, work, get paid and take your foot off the gas a bit.. catch your breath, relax.. Human Nature.

It's possible. But it's also clear that he's not meant for the role they're putting him in, which I've been saying since February. Remember, I wanted them to sign Tre' Boston to be our FS and Eric Reid to be our SS and move Collins to WLB once I heard we were moving to the 4-3. I think that would've been best for our defense.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:11 PM, turtle28 said:

We are stuck with Collins at SS through the end of the year.  Rivera isn't going to bench him, and halfway through the season isn't the time to learn a new position.  I think the position change may be a possibility, I can't see us getting rid of him next year even though that might be the better move.  He's just really regressed all throughout his career.  I didn't even think it would be this bad, and I hated the signing from the start.