17-18 Chiefs offense with Watson vs 17-18 Texans offense with Mahomes

wackywabbit

More productive over last two years?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. More productive over last two years?

• Chiefs offense with Watson
    • Texans offense with Mahomes

Assuming these two landed on opposite teams in the 17 draft. I think the clear consensus is that Mahomes is better than Watson (who is still excellent) and that the Chiefs offense has more talent, so I think this is a pretty even question. 

This is productivity over the past two seasons when both were full time starters and the teams are what they were then. This means that Hopkins hasn't been traded yet, Kareem Hunt is a Chief for one of two years, etc. Coaches factor in to, so Watson gets Andy Reid. 

• Like 1

I’m going with Watson on the Chiefs. He came into the league mature and pro ready. Andy Reid is the bankable element here though; he’s orchestrated some of the best offenses in every decade he’s been a coach, he’s produced results whether he’s had Alex Smith at QB, Matt Moore, or Patrick Mahomes. So if given Watson, he’s going to build an offense that best fits Watson’s strengths. Watson also isn’t running for his life behind that Kansas City Offensive line. Though Reid also likely encourages Watson to spend less time holding onto the ball. Reid has also been able to work with a variety of personalities with his coaches to his star players. Such a marriage would produce (IMO) similar numbers to a Mahomes offense, albeit with less spectacular passing plays.

Conversely Mahomes would’ve inherited less durable receiver options, a coach that is more of an egomaniac that would create a less fun atmosphere for a dolphin personality type such as Mahomes; could seen this creating friction between the coach and QB at some point sooner than with Watson. I also don’t think Mahomes behind that offensive line would’ve been as successful in evasion as he’s not the same athlete as Watson; I feel this likely leads him to having more nagging injuries. Now that all said Mahomes isn’t going to hold onto the ball quite as long as Watson and thus takes less of a beating. Mahomes is also a more aggressive player with a more live arm that come playoff time might have given him an upperhand.

All in all I don’t think it would’ve been enough to top Reid Watson. I think with Watson the Chiefs likely lose in the AFCCG each of the last two seasons.

For as much crap as BOB gets he always seems to produce a relatively successful running game regardless of the personnel on the Oline or in the backfield from what i’ve noticed.

I think with a successful run game and Mahomes coupled with Hopkins/Fuller/Stills may have me leaning towards Mahomes on the Texans for this one.

No idea who’d scored more points but I’m afraid  the Chiefs wouldn’t have won the SB in this scenario 

Houston may find themselves in the AFCCG. But it would be a challenge to WIN a SB. Mahomes would look great in the 2019 Texan offense. A 1000 yard rusher in Hyde and the best receiver in the league? Sign me up

4 hours ago, Nightime said:

No idea who’d scored more points but I’m afraid  the Chiefs wouldn’t have won the SB in this scenario 

Houston may find themselves in the AFCCG. But it would be a challenge to WIN a SB. Mahomes would look great in the 2019 Texan offense. A 1000 yard rusher in Hyde and the best receiver in the league? Sign me up

Michael Thomas played for the Texans?

I think Andy Reid would create an offense that played to Watson's strengths, and the Chiefs OL would keep Watson from getting sacked as much as he did. Watson wouldn't have as many big plays downfield, so the numbers would be down, but I think he'd hit on the main things Mahomes has reached; He'd probably have an MVP and a SB win.

On the other side of the coin, Mahomes would probably bail out Bill O'Brien more than once. Mahomes would have started nearly immediately, which might have led to him developing some bad habits. He'd make some big plays with DeAndre Hopkins, but having TEs that aren't Travis Kelce would take away a lot of the offensive capabilities. The Texans OL would make Mahomes jump at his own shadow, however - I don't think Mahomes would ever be the same after taking a beating behind that Texans OL. Mahomes would probably find himself winning the AFCS (because it's a dumpster fire for the most part) but BOB would find creative ways to sink him in the Divisional rounds. Mahomes wouldn't win, but people would recognize it's not because of him.

I think people are overthinking this. The fact that KC and Andy Reid were a great fit and landing spot for Mahomes shouldn't be exaggerated in a way that discounts who is doing more to elevate who - we have 20 years of track record with Reid, and while he's always been an elite offensive coach, Mahomes has taken him to new heights. 

Watson would be better in KC compared to what he's done with Houston, I don't think that's particularly controversial. But it's not like Houston is a wasteland, however much the 'BoB bad' memes are at their apex right now. Mahomes is a generational/transformational player; you can bet if he landed with DeAndre Hopkins and Co. he'd still lay waste to the league. If you're as good as Mahomes is then these switcharoos don't matter as much. He's the guy elevating the guys around him, not the other way around. He'd do the same in Houston and he'd be better than Watson, even the supercharged Watson in Andy Reid's scheme. 

• Like 5

Mahomes probably doesn't win the MVP in 2018 as he wouldn't have the elite OL and offensive genius that is Andy Reid. Plus Drew Brees was on his heels that year until old Drew Brees had his nightmare game vs the Cowboys.

He would also have to start as rookie in 2017 and probably sustain more than a broken knee cap running for his life behind that Texans ugly OL which even Watson didn't last a season.

All that said he would still be just as talented as he is now but it would have taken a few seasons more to be as great. 

On 7/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, Classic said:

Mahomes probably doesn't win the MVP in 2018 as he wouldn't have the elite OL and offensive genius that is Andy Reid. Plus Drew Brees was on his heels that year until old Drew Brees had his nightmare game vs the Cowboys.

He would also have to start as rookie in 2017 and probably sustain more than a broken knee cap running for his life behind that Texans ugly OL which even Watson didn't last a season.

All that said he would still be just as talented as he is now but it would have taken a few seasons more to be as great. 

Chiefs did not have an elite OL in 2018. Haven't had an OL worth calling elite since the mid-2000s. It wasn't trash like the '18 Texans were, but it was definitely not elite. Had a handful of injuries, both G spots were a weakness all year. OT was a strength, but the interior was a struggle.