Brat&Beer

Packers 2020 Training Camp

19 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He sure is Robert Fergusoning so far.

How in the hell does Josh Jackson feel like Robert Ferguson whatever that means. Jackson got hurt last year and then his Dad died so safe to say 2019 was a nightmare for Josh Jackson, He was a great college player for Iowa and I expect he will have a good pro career. He seems to have made a statement in camp so far so way to go Josh.

32 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

How in the hell does Josh Jackson feel like Robert Ferguson whatever that means. Jackson got hurt last year and then his Dad died so safe to say 2019 was a nightmare for Josh Jackson, He was a great college player for Iowa and I expect he will have a good pro career. He seems to have made a statement in camp so far so way to go Josh.

Robert Ferguson was a great college player for Texas A&M and dominated every August in training camp too.  He had a 7 year NFL career.  

I mean the issue with Jackson is not one of talent, but of skills- and skills are things you can learn.  Iowa recruited him as a WR, and asked him to do very few different things on the field as a DB (but he did them very well.)  If a guy who can do 3 things really well, but nothing else even at an average level it's hard to put that guy on the field in the NFL.  But again, skills are things you can learn.

Conflicted thoughts, cabbage.  Yes, think he's got skills to be learned.  And he's got certain talents to be used (length, strength).  But he's also got an issue with talent, in terms of speed.  

Apparently Jackson was mentioned in a couple of the press conferences today.  I think it was Pettine who said they're just using him outside now, to keep things simpler for him.  If skills are limited and experience is lacking, dumbing it down a little to a single position probably helps.  

Last year, a coach had commented that they had envisioned Jackson for slot, I assume because he's big and physical and could be good in run support, and perhaps because his speed is a little shy for outside; and perhaps too because entering last season that seemed to be the position of greater need.  Focusing on outside might make it easier for him. But with two superior outside guys in Jaire and King ahead of him, I'm not sure how many packages are going to use him, until/unless one of those guys go down.  

I think Gray said they're trying to help him skills-wise with using his physicality.  Talent-wise it's his size and strength that's his advantage; but NFL has rules that protect receivers from too much defensive physicality.  So we'll see.  I think being tall, long, and physical can be helpful, and jamming should be good.  But penalties and interference can do a lot of harm, so he's got to limit those.    

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, craig said:

Apparently Jackson was mentioned in a couple of the press conferences today.  I think it was Pettine who said they're just using him outside now, to keep things simpler for him.  If skills are limited and experience is lacking, dumbing it down a little to a single position probably helps. 

I'm not sure they're dumbing it down so much as affording him (a figurative) outside defender - the sideline.
If you're having problems or are challenged in your man / press coverage skills - the slots the last place you want to be.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

Is it possible they want to see what Jackson can do outside in case they can't/don't resign Kevin King next year?

10 minutes ago, Apex said:

Is it possible they want to see what Jackson can do outside in case they can't/don't resign Kevin King next year?

That probably is a factor.  I suppose if you could get starter quality out of Jackson or Hollman, you could let King walk and try to bring back Jones.

Food for thought: (numbers from spotrac, based on AAV)

10th CB = $13

20th CB = $8.5

40th CB = $3.8

Kevin King is currently 74th at $1.8

5th RB = $12.5

10th RB = $6.1

20th RB = $3.3

Aaron Jones is currently over 100th and is the 4th highest paid (AAV, again) RB on the Packers.

7 hours ago, Apex said:

Definitely, money is always a factor and the cap is probably flat next year/. Decent number 2 corners like Trae Waynes got 14m a year last year in fa. I like King but not over like 10m (until there’s more tv money) considering we’ve gotten like 1 good whole season from him. 

15 hours ago, Apex said:

I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with King. Jackson is a 2nd round pick and is only 24 years old. It's natural they would be looking for ways to utilize his talents. He was a 2nd round pick for a reason.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Definitely, money is always a factor and the cap is probably flat next year/. Decent number 2 corners like Trae Waynes got 14m a year last year in fa. I like King but not over like 10m (until there’s more tv money) considering we’ve gotten like 1 good whole season from him. 

I'm thinking the answer to whether to pay King is not best served by refusing anything over $10m pa, it's more about what he does for us in the coming weeks. Big corners (and safeties) are seldom gifted with King's level of agility (see the Packers choice of 6'3" Rouse several years ago). If King can be available most of this year and play to a high standard, his price-point will obviously be higher.

We know the injury history, and it isn't great, but at least a part of that comes from him being a stretched 6'3" body a factor that is really to his advantage when QBs are deciding whether to try and throw over him. A QB decision NOT to throw is never going to appear on a stat sheet, but it useful all the same. Same applies to a fingernail redirect of a pass - no 5'11" CB is going to fingertip it.

I don't have a hard-value cap price in mind for him, so I'm down to trusting Gute and Ball to set the ceiling price.

A last word about his injuries. Part of the decision on how much to pay comes down to the type of injuries he has suffered. Certain injuries (multiple concussions, multiple ACLs etc) are more worrying than a mixed bag of turf toe, bruised kidneys, high ankle sprain, hammy...........these kinds of injury may not be the kind that are ripe for repetition. Having said all that, to play devil's advocate on myself, at some point with an often injured player you have to say enough is enough.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Jaire Alexander is not in pads or a helmet today.

@TexWestern

WR Davante Adams, back at practice after a couple days off, on the right working with CB Kevin King at #PackersCamp