Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

·
7m

Aaron Rodgers says he recently watched his own practice tape from 2010 and used that to change some stuff the last couple days. Has had a really strong last couple days. He won't specify what he saw on tape that made him want to make some tweaks.

I've maintained his footwork has suffered since the knee injury he suffered on opening night against the Bears in 2018. Improved footwork could lead to some elimination of missed throws we continued to see last year, 

• Like 3

Very interesting, brat.  Not sure when or why, but it's obviously not been consistently good over the last two years.  I think that's contributed to his accuracy inconsistencies.  QB accuracy is the most important individual factor in football, and will be the biggest hinge point for how good the Packers can be this season.  It would be an awesome story if Rodgers somehow figured something out that helped recapture some of the accuracy he had in his prime.  

11 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I've maintained his footwork has suffered since the knee injury he suffered on opening night against the Bears in 2018. Improved footwork could lead to some elimination of missed throws we continued to see last year, 

His footwork was going to hell well before 2018, we just didn’t notice it.  I think what we are seeing is a SLIGHT decline in arm strength mixed with a moderate decline in overall athleticism (escapability). 

If Rodgers can rededicate himself to the fundamentals, I think we will see a renaissance season from him.  Watch a game from 2010/2011 and compare it to 2019.  Focus on the footwork- you can see a clear difference.  

Ryan Wood -   Mason Crosby said he might have needed to opt out of season if the pandemic was last year, when his wife, Molly, was battling rare form of lung cancer. With Molly healthy, they felt comfortable with Crosby playing this season.

• Like 2

You know, I was all set to write a post about how Rodgers doesn't always play with lax mechanics, and that his highlight reel is a mix of both poor and good fundamentals.

But then I actually watched a career highlight tape again, and good lord if every single pass isn't his "fall left to generate power" throwing motion.  It really is incredible when you see how consistent he's been with an inherently inconsistent motion through his career.  That being said, my question now is less "what's wrong with Aaron" and more "how did he not hit the wall sooner?"  

I don't think I realized until I saw so many clips of him through different years exactly how he does it.  People talk about it being pure arm talent (and it is in terms of accuracy) but he's actually generating the power from sheer torque; he's not driving the ball through his hips, he's literally spinning like a top for a quarter-turn.  That's why his feet aren't on the ground, and it's why he always falls left. You see people who don't know how to throw a ball try stuff like this, but it works for Aaron because he's combined it with the necessary proper fundamentals to ensure it's more reliable and generates controlled power rather than just whipping the ball wherever.  He's almost discus-throwing a football with perfect accuracy, which is wild.

It's also inconsistent of course, because the core aspect of any fundamental movement in any sport is repeatability, as that produces precision.  They are designed to be able to be performed exactly the same way every time, which allows you to get the same result every time, which allows you to then improve that result, adding accuracy to your precision.  But there's absolutely no way for Rodgers to do that with his throwing motion; not only is it difficult if not impossible to consistently execute it the same way every time for a given throw, but the amount you need to turn is different for every throw.  With standard mechanics, the power comes from driving through your hips, giving a straight line of force for the ball from the QB to the receiver.  The result is that the throwing motion is the same for every type of throw and every area of the field, with minor adjustments for things like exact foot placement.  But Rodgers is doing this almost entirely off feel; where he lets go of the ball seems to be based mostly off his encyclopedic knowledge of all the other throws he's made.  He talked once about how he hit the throw to Geronimo in 2017 against the Bengals and a similar throw he made to James Jones flashed into his mind right before he threw it, helping him know where to put the ball.  I thought he was just talking about how much air to put under the ball, but now I kinda think he literally meant a sort of sense memory of just how much he need to torque himself to put the ball there.  

Or I just picked the wrong week to start sniffing glue.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

You know, I was all set to write a post about how Rodgers doesn't always play with lax mechanics, and that his highlight reel is a mix of both poor and good fundamentals.

But then I actually watched a career highlight tape again, and good lord if every single pass isn't his "fall left to generate power" throwing motion.  It really is incredible when you see how consistent he's been with an inherently inconsistent motion through his career.  That being said, my question now is less "what's wrong with Aaron" and more "how did he not hit the wall sooner?"  

I don't think I realized until I saw so many clips of him through different years exactly how he does it.  People talk about it being pure arm talent (and it is in terms of accuracy) but he's actually generating the power from sheer torque; he's not driving the ball through his hips, he's literally spinning like a top for a quarter-turn.  That's why his feet aren't on the ground, and it's why he always falls left. You see people who don't know how to throw a ball try stuff like this, but it works for Aaron because he's combined it with the necessary proper fundamentals to ensure it's more reliable and generates controlled power rather than just whipping the ball wherever.  He's almost discus-throwing a football with perfect accuracy, which is wild.

It's also inconsistent of course, because the core aspect of any fundamental movement in any sport is repeatability, as that produces precision.  They are designed to be able to be performed exactly the same way every time, which allows you to get the same result every time, which allows you to then improve that result, adding accuracy to your precision.  But there's absolutely no way for Rodgers to do that with his throwing motion; not only is it difficult if not impossible to consistently execute it the same way every time for a given throw, but the amount you need to turn is different for every throw.  With standard mechanics, the power comes from driving through your hips, giving a straight line of force for the ball from the QB to the receiver.  The result is that the throwing motion is the same for every type of throw and every area of the field, with minor adjustments for things like exact foot placement.  But Rodgers is doing this almost entirely off feel; where he lets go of the ball seems to be based mostly off his encyclopedic knowledge of all the other throws he's made.  He talked once about how he hit the throw to Geronimo in 2017 against the Bengals and a similar throw he made to James Jones flashed into his mind right before he threw it, helping him know where to put the ball.  I thought he was just talking about how much air to put under the ball, but now I kinda think he literally meant a sort of sense memory of just how much he need to torque himself to put the ball there.  

Or I just picked the wrong week to start sniffing glue.

There are no rules for quarantine.

I think you're kinda right. He has no peer when throwing off platform, and he does take himself off platform with disturbing frequency, but he still does throw on platform about half the time

• Like 1

^^^^Still no word on Wagner's injury and as a new player in this system, him missing time is a bigger deal. No way can Gute allow us to go into the season with Turner as the RT. If that happens, look for Hunter to wreck the game. Don't play around here, if Wagner isn't back by Monday, sign Veldheer (probably the smart play anyways because we don't have a backup LT on the roster). 

I maintain that Rodgers starting throwing with both feet off the ground to avoid injury making it less likely to blow a knee out on a planted foot. I believe I saw this on some sort of pregame piece, maybe someone else can confirm. Makes sense that you lose accuracy when not throwing with your feet planted, but I think Aaron may be more willing to plant his foot to improve his accuracy and shut people up this year. His major injuries have all been to the upper body, except for the foot, knee, and calf which he played through, so maybe he is ready to be more of a risk taker and win a couple more.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

^^^^Still no word on Wagner's injury and as a new player in this system, him missing time is a bigger deal. No way can Gute allow us to go into the season with Turner as the RT. If that happens, look for Hunter to wreck the game. Don't play around here, if Wagner isn't back by Monday, sign Veldheer (probably the smart play anyways because we don't have a backup LT on the roster). 

With the total blackout on injury news, we don't even know if Wagner's current injury is related to the ankle injury that hampered him last season. If it is, it's hard to be optimistic about his availability. Veldheer is the obvious solution. 

12 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

With the total blackout on injury news, we don't even know if Wagner's current injury is related to the ankle injury that hampered him last season. If it is, it's hard to be optimistic about his availability. Veldheer is the obvious solution. 

Its something with his arm. That's why he left practice. That's all we know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Redt said:

I maintain that Rodgers starting throwing with both feet off the ground to avoid injury making it less likely to blow a knee out on a planted foot.

I'd heard something similar....and that the idea of keeping your feet moving / up off the ground...may have come from Favre.

Both Carson Palmer and Tom Brady suffered knee injuries when a DLineman rolled up / into their shin from the front after pinning a foot to the ground. Neither was a hit of any consequence - it was simply because the foot was pinned before the player pushed the leg backwards. 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -   Lane Taylor continues to have a strong start to camp. Just bested Kenny Clark twice in 1x1’s.
Patrick gets the best of Lancaster twice.

Packers could have a tough decision here. Turner might be a better fit for wide zone running game, but Taylor is a better pass blocker ( at least at Guard). Of course, if Wagner stays out, the decision will be made for them.