Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

A few more details:

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/covid-testing-paves-way-for-start-of-training-camp

One domino did fall on Monday, with the league and union agreeing on COVID-19 testing. That paved the way for rookies to report to Green Bay on Thursday, another agent said. Thursday was the original reporting date for quarterbacks and players coming back from injury; it’s not immediately known if Aaron Rodgers and Co. will be arriving with the rookies.

“Our union has been pushing for the strongest testing and tracing protocols to keep our players safe,” the NFLPA said in a statement. “The testing protocols we agreed to are one critical factor that will help us return to work safely and gives us the best chance to play and finish the season.”

Here’s how it will work: After arriving at training camp, players and staff members will undergo testing and then go home. If the test is negative, they must undergo testing for a second consecutive day. If they pass both tests, they’ll be allowed to enter team facilities.

Looks like it might be a slow start to training camp.

But while agreements have been reached on several issues, others remain unresolved. One of those is the proposed extended acclimation period for players in training camp. Players asked, based on the advice of jointly appointed medical experts, for a camp plan that would limit the first 21 days to strength and conditioning work only, followed by 10 days of non-padded practices and then a 14-day contact acclimation period in which padded practices would be permitted. The league's latest offer, sources say, comes much closer to that than any of its previous offers had, though as of Tuesday night the players still had not agreed to it and expected to continue discussion.

I’m wondering who gets cut if the TC rosters are 80 players. I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion they'll release undrafted free agents. There may be some guys the Packers like in those 15 UFAs.

Edited by JQ1

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Well, they can keep 5 of them. Doubt they'll want to cut draft picks before they get to see them practice. Guys were drafted for a reason. 

I didn't say anything about draft picks.

There's 11 street FAs from last year's PS/IR and 15 UDFAs which I imagine will make up the largest chunk of the group. If a vet like M Adams, Lane Taylor, etc shows up in bad shape they may just cut bait right there. I'm surprised the NFLPA hasn't argued this one, what the hell good is 10 less people going to do? Nothing. You have to hate it for a guy who probably would never make a roster but would still have had the memories of spending an entire camp with an NFL team that now won't ever get that chance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm surprised the NFLPA hasn't argued this one, what the hell good is 10 less people going to do? Nothing.

you're spot on here and its a damn shame
But I suspect its about having 10 fewer families in the team bubble and with daily testing, it represents a small cost savings.

33 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

But I suspect its about having 10 fewer families in the team bubble and with daily testing, it represents a small cost savings.

I'm sure it's a small cost savings, maybe one of the things the NFL owners wanted as a trade-off for dropping preseason. NFLPA was willing to sign off. I know we're going to have larger practice squads this year so hopefully they are quite a bit larger to accommodate the UDFAs hurt by this off-season.

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's 11 street FAs from last year's PS/IR and 15 UDFAs which I imagine will make up the largest chunk of the group. If a vet like M Adams, Lane Taylor, etc shows up in bad shape they may just cut bait right there. I'm surprised the NFLPA hasn't argued this one, what the hell good is 10 less people going to do? Nothing. You have to hate it for a guy who probably would never make a roster but would still have had the memories of spending an entire camp with an NFL team that now won't ever get that chance.

36 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

there are not going to be enough reps to go around for those end of roster players.  

no preseason games, limited padded practices, other limitations for TC practices, most coaches/GM/teams are going to use the reps they have for the projected 1's and 2's.  

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

accommodate the UDFAs hurt by this off-season.

Damon Harrison came into the league as an UDFA ( with Jets/Pettine) and he has this on his twitter account:

UDFA= Under Dog Fighting for Acknowledgement

With the larger PS and the team's desire to have a squad of ready replacements, maybe these guys get a shot to participate - 
but away from the main team.      Instead of a "taxi-squad", an "uber-unit"

Edited by Shanedorf

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Ahhhhh, the sweet memory of risking your family's health and safety in the midst of a pandemic and being the first guy cut at the end of camp.